rob

Default ballooning mech attached EPDM

Our recently installed mechanically fastened EPDM roof seems to balloon
up in winds. We live in a high wind area and 7 years ago our torch
down modified bitchumin roof blew off. In addition, the membrane seems
to have shrunk a bit and is pulling away from where it meets a vertical
wall at the flashing. I think the wind is getting in from the wood
fascia board which is installed under a metal edge.
Does anyone know if this is normal?
thanks

Have you consulted with an engineer?
It is not uncommon for unexpected uplift forces to exist on roofs.
Uplift pressure varies with roof shape, orientation.
TB

thunder

On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 20:24:19 -0800, rob wrote:

Our recently installed mechanically fastened EPDM roof seems to balloon up
in winds. We live in a high wind area and 7 years ago our torch down
modified bitchumin roof blew off. In addition, the membrane seems to have
shrunk a bit and is pulling away from where it meets a vertical wall at
the flashing. I think the wind is getting in from the wood fascia board
which is installed under a metal edge. Does anyone know if this is normal?
thanks

If the EPDM was properly installed, according to the manufacturers specs,
some billowing shouldn't be of concern. "Ballooning up" sounds excessive,
but as I can't see it from here, I can't tell you with any certainty. If
the membrane is indeed pulling away from the flashing, that is of concern
and should be looked after.
rob

Thanks so much. I will look into it. I guess it may be more of a
billowing, like when you shake a bed sheet slightly and the air ripples
through. I am sensitive to blow offs. I have no faith in the
installer, so...
Wish me luck