mike appenzeller

Default Orion VCR mech jam on unload

Orion VHS player model VP-0040, ~1995 mfg.

I have the above VHS player, that will occasionally jam when
unloading the tape. Fixed once, but came back 3 days later
with a tape stuck in it and the mech jammed again.

From running the loading motor back and forth with an ext. power
supply, I've been able to determine that the plastic piece on
the bottom of the half-load arm jams up against the edge of the
raised lip around the perimeter of the gear that acutautes it,
so the two raised pieces butt up end to end instead of the arm
riding inside the gear and camming the half-load arm back to the
unload position. There is a pin molded into the pinch
roller assembly that holds the arm back when the pinch roller
is lowered into "play" position. It seems like the pin is
releasing the arm just a little too soon when the pinch roller
raises on unload, and the gear hasn't reached the correct position
to receive the arm.

All the relevant gears (the loading arm is driven from the
pinch roller "elevator" cam/gear) are at their timing marks in
the fully unloaded state, and there are no broken gear teeth.

My original repair was to clean & re-lube the pinch roller
elevator cam, and shaft, as it was dried up, and the mech no
longer jammed as many times as I could cycle the loading mech,
so I thought it was fixed.

I ruled out the mode switch, as it originally would sometimes jam
when running the loading motor from the ext. supply.

This time, after unjamming the mech, I can't reproduce the jam.

Anybody familiar with the '95 vintage Orion VCR mechs seen this
problem or have a fix?

Mike
WB2MEP

Don't want to sound brutal, but have you tried bending the arm
ªslightly*? in my expoerience these types of faults are often cause by
slight warpage.

Other options may be to try and find a working model of the unit (or
at least one with a same deck) to compare.
Old units like this can also be found at second hand stores, flea
markets, car boot/ yard sales, rubbish tips... with a bit of hunting
you could probably find another for very little money to cannibalise
for parts, since investing much money into older machines simply
doesn't pay these days.
good luck, Ben

(mike appenzeller) wrote in message . com...
Orion VHS player model VP-0040, ~1995 mfg.

I have the above VHS player, that will occasionally jam when
unloading the tape. Fixed once, but came back 3 days later
with a tape stuck in it and the mech jammed again.

From running the loading motor back and forth with an ext. power
supply, I've been able to determine that the plastic piece on
the bottom of the half-load arm jams up against the edge of the
raised lip around the perimeter of the gear that acutautes it,
so the two raised pieces butt up end to end (snip)