bugz

Default questions

I live in a trailer and have been having some trouble keeping the place
cool in the summer and warm in the winter. Therefore our electric bill
is sky rocketing. I have been told that i could paint my roof with a
sealer of some sort. Is this true? Also if it is true what is this
stuff and where can I get it? Cheap? Also I have noticed holes in the
underpinning underneath the trailer, where the insulation is at. I
think that this could also be a cause. If so any advice on how to fix
the underpinning and insulation.

--
bugz
bugz's Profile: http://homerepairforums.org/forums/member.php?userid=83

AutoTracer

If it is as extreme as you say, a few holes in the insulation are probably
not the cause (but a can of foam insulation will fix it). Trailers are
designed for temporary living (though I know lots of people do live in them
full time, including my best friend). With that said, they are often
under-insulated from the start. You could try to add more insulation to
some areas but that will add weight and may come off when you move the
trailer (I don't know how often you relocate). You need it to be removable
or light and well attached.

Painting the roof white would help in the summer to reflect more heat while
painting it black will help in the winter by absorbing more heat. Not a
good solution for both at the same time.

It may look goofy but you could make some sort of giant blanket for the
trailer. An insulating fabric sewn in with some tarps (for weather
resistance) and placed over the roof will help as will closing off the space
under the trailer with a skirt (this will trap air which will warm or cool
more slowly than open space). Along the same line would be those shiny
mylar emergency blankets you get at sporting goods stores (wal mart too).
These can be used on the roof, over windows and inside walls. They reflect
heat away from their surface like a mirror (in or out depending on the
weather).

"bugz" wrote in message

I live in a trailer and have been having some trouble keeping the place
cool in the summer and warm in the winter. Therefore our electric bill
is sky rocketing. I have been told that i could paint my roof with a
sealer of some sort. Is this true? Also if it is true what is this
stuff and where can I get it? Cheap? Also I have noticed holes in the
underpinning underneath the trailer, where the insulation is at. I
think that this could also be a cause. If so any advice on how to fix
the underpinning and insulation.

--
bugz
bugz's Profile: http://homerepairforums.org/forums/member.php?userid=83
View this thread:

http://homerepairforums.org/forums/s...ad.php?t=76326
This post was submitted via http://www.HomeRepairForums.org

Colbyt

"bugz" wrote in message

I live in a trailer and have been having some trouble keeping the place
cool in the summer and warm in the winter. Therefore our electric bill
is sky rocketing. I have been told that i could paint my roof with a
sealer of some sort. Is this true? Also if it is true what is this
stuff and where can I get it? Cheap? Also I have noticed holes in the
underpinning underneath the trailer, where the insulation is at. I
think that this could also be a cause. If so any advice on how to fix
the underpinning and insulation.

--
bugz

I don't know how much it will help your cooling bills ( it claims to because
it's reflective) but if you apply anything to your MH roof make sure you
buy Cool Seal brand (that might be with a K). This is one case where the
off brand stuff does NOT work. I fought this battle for years with an aging
relatives leaky roof and the brand name is worth the 2-3 times the price.
Look for a MH repair center to buy. Maybe also at RV dealers.

One 5 gallon bucket will do a 12 x 60 if you don't double coat the seams
(like you would do if leaks were your problem). Do it on a nice warm day
after the goop has been warming a while for maximum coverage and ease.

Also while on a MH roof be sure to keep your feet on the metal rafters and
not just on the tin roof or you will create more problems than you solve.

Colbyt

SQLit

"bugz" wrote in message

I live in a trailer and have been having some trouble keeping the place
cool in the summer and warm in the winter. Therefore our electric bill
is sky rocketing. I have been told that i could paint my roof with a
sealer of some sort. Is this true? Also if it is true what is this
stuff and where can I get it? Cheap? Also I have noticed holes in the
underpinning underneath the trailer, where the insulation is at. I
think that this could also be a cause. If so any advice on how to fix
the underpinning and insulation.

--
bugz
bugz's Profile: http://homerepairforums.org/forums/member.php?userid=83
View this thread:

http://homerepairforums.org/forums/s...ad.php?t=76326
This post was submitted via http://www.HomeRepairForums.org

Arctic White sold at the box stores will provide some help. It is sold as a
mobile home coating. I used some on a swamp cooler and to repair some leaks
on my old house. It did help the cooling of the cooler a bit.
Saying that it will probably not help much for the winter.

As for cheap sorry, not gonna happen. Last time I looked it was ~$25 a
gallon. Reduce the coverage on the can by 50% for the first coat and you
WILL absolutely need 2 coats.
Easy to put on with a roller as long as the roof is reasonably clean.

Underpinning??? that word means structure to me. Last trailer I was under,
I just removed the craft paper with a razor knife and did my work and then
replaced the insulation and then stapled up some new Kraft paper to repair
the hole I made. 15 pound felt would work if you do not have a real lumber
yard near. I used a stapler cause the under side of this trailer had wood.

The skirting was metal and was supposed to stop the air from passing under
the trailer. In Iowa we used straw bales in the winter time.

Check all of the windows and doors for proper sealing. Replacing the seals
around a door is pretty easy and does not cost much.

effi

you may be referring to radiant barrier paint, there's tons of info on it
and a paint store should be able to help

heard about stupendous results on a mobile home being gutted, insulated with
spray on foam, then the innards added back to the mobile home, basically

you probably lose a lot of your heat and air conditioning out your windows
if they are single pane; consider insualting drapes if you can't afford
double pane windows

seal all your wall switches and plugs with foam gaskets

check the seal around all your doors and windows for leaks

if your hvac ducts are under the mobile home, make sure they are all
insulated properly