Harry Everhart

Default Cleaning black stains off Shingle Roofs

Thanks to all of you that helped me with my roof cleaning project.

I was going to hire someone - or rent a pressure washer. Instead - I
made a solution of 10% bleach and 90% water - kept it mild in case it
dripped on our plants. I sprayed it on the roof with a small pump
sprayer - let it sit a while - brushed it with a long handle brush I use
to wash my camper - then hosed it off with a regular garden hose - low
pressure.

All of the stains disappeared - I checked the gutters to make sure I was
not washing off the shingle "grit" - I was not. One day later - the roof
looks like new. I plan to go up today and do it again on the spots that
I missed.

Thanks to those that gave me the bleach advice.

Harry
Phisherman

Wait a few months. The black stains will return. They may be
unsightly, but you are doing more damage using the brush. When you
replace your roof, get mildew/mold resistant shingles.

On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 12:31:55 -0500, Harry Everhart
wrote:

Thanks to all of you that helped me with my roof cleaning project.

I was going to hire someone - or rent a pressure washer. Instead - I
made a solution of 10% bleach and 90% water - kept it mild in case it
dripped on our plants. I sprayed it on the roof with a small pump
sprayer - let it sit a while - brushed it with a long handle brush I use
to wash my camper - then hosed it off with a regular garden hose - low
pressure.

All of the stains disappeared - I checked the gutters to make sure I was
not washing off the shingle "grit" - I was not. One day later - the roof
looks like new. I plan to go up today and do it again on the spots that
I missed.

Thanks to those that gave me the bleach advice.

Harry

Mark

I understand you can install copper wire or flashing near the top of
the roof. The rain water will carry the copper down over the roof and
poison the mold. Anybody every try this? Does it work?

Mark

Roger Taylor

"Mark" wrote in message
ups.com...
I understand you can install copper wire or flashing near the top of
the roof. The rain water will carry the copper down over the roof and
poison the mold. Anybody every try this? Does it work?

I've used 10-inch wide pure sheet zinc near the roof ridge. Works quite
well, and I understand this is a common approach.
Doubt that wire would work, but sheet copper might, as the brick walks under
my copper gutters' drip line have bare spots where no mold grows.

Phisherman

On 5 Mar 2005 20:35:34 -0800, "Mark" wrote:

I understand you can install copper wire or flashing near the top of
the roof. The rain water will carry the copper down over the roof and
poison the mold. Anybody every try this? Does it work?

Mark

This works with just about any metal, but as a preventative and not
for an older roof. I have "Shingle Shield" installed on my roof, a
strip of zinc. My roof is streak free for 14 years.

Harry Everhart

Thanks for all your help and tips.
The roof looks great now. It was not washed in 10 years - so if the
grime takes that long to accumulate again - I will be happy. I plan to
replace the shingle in 5 years. I used a very soft bristle brush - like
a car brush. Just enough to agitate the sodium hypochlorite solution. I
also used a garden hose to rinse - not my pressure washer. I have lots
of big live oak trees and long needle pines shadowing my home - their
drippings seems to cause the problems. I am sure they will come back.
Harry
Bob G

On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 12:29:33 GMT, Phisherman wrote:

On 5 Mar 2005 20:35:34 -0800, "Mark" wrote:

I understand you can install copper wire or flashing near the top of
the roof. The rain water will carry the copper down over the roof and
poison the mold. Anybody every try this? Does it work?

Mark

This works with just about any metal, but as a preventative and not
for an older roof. I have "Shingle Shield" installed on my roof, a
strip of zinc. My roof is streak free for 14 years.

Interesting Thread.....

I presentaly have this problem...lucky for me the problem areas face
the rear of the property....not visable from the road but sitting by
the pool or down by the garages it looks like hell....

Guess I will live with it a "little" longer but when I reroof I will
install dark shingles...IF I live that long...lol

Bob Griffiths

Origin of Hex Head Nuts/bolts? CWLee Metalworking 57 August 10th 17 01:09 AM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
WARNING. DeWALT And Black and Decker Tools causing serious Injury and Death. Bob Woodworking 14 June 5th 04 09:22 AM
WARNING. DeWALT And Black and Decker Tools causing serious Injury and Death. tester Electronics Repair 17 May 27th 04 12:45 PM
WARNING. DeWALT And Black and Decker Tools causing serious Injury and Death. tester Home Repair 16 May 27th 04 12:45 PM