Aubrey

Default MY Town Water supply

Hi,

I was away for a couple of weeks and I decided to let the water run in the
bathroom sink a small drop.....in doing tied a white cloth around the sprout
of the facet for the water to filter through. When I return the cloth was
rusty brown......WOW I said to myself.

Could you tell me what would be the cause of this? As well, should I contact
the Town council.

Ross Mac

"Aubrey" wrote in message
Hi,

I was away for a couple of weeks and I decided to let the water run in the
bathroom sink a small drop.....in doing tied a white cloth around the
sprout of the facet for the water to filter through. When I return the
cloth was rusty brown......WOW I said to myself.

Could you tell me what would be the cause of this? As well, should I
contact the Town council.

Sounds like manganese in the water...not too uncommon from underground water
supplies. A water softener would solve this for you. I bought one for my new
house from RainSoft for $875 installed. You should be able to find one close
to that price from many of the manufacturers......make sure you get at least
a 1 year warranty....good luck, Ross

John Gilmer

Could you tell me what would be the cause of this? As well, should I

contact
the Town council.

Odds are that you have some iron pipe between the city mains and your sink.
Unless you are the last customer on the water main, it just isn't the city's
problem.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Aubrey" wrote in message
Hi,

I was away for a couple of weeks and I decided to let the water run in the
bathroom sink a small drop.....in doing tied a white cloth around the
sprout of the facet for the water to filter through. When I return the
cloth was rusty brown......WOW I said to myself.

Could you tell me what would be the cause of this? As well, should I
contact the Town council.

Sure, give them a call, they won't do anything though.

If it was rusty brown, it may be rust. Do you think the water is as
perfectly clear as it looks in a single glass? There are all sorts of thing
in it in the natural state. I have a whole house filter and change the
cartridge about every two to three weeks as it is very brown. Between you
and the water department are probably a few miles of very old cast iron
pipe.

You may want to have the water tested to see just what you need to correct
the problem. If it tastes good and you only see this under these
circumstances, you may need to do nothing. If you have any off taste, you'll
be amazed at what a charcoal filter for the drinking water will do.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

need hot water FAST PV Home Repair 38 January 30th 04 01:15 AM
I need a little advice on running waterlines in an uninsulated crawlspace ozark Home Repair 12 January 29th 04 05:23 AM
Why do gas water heaters fail? I-zheet M'drurz Home Repair 40 January 12th 04 09:59 PM
Flushing / Cleaning Hot Water Heater Help Needed Cuse Home Repair 38 December 1st 03 02:01 AM