Default Slightly OT-- but relevant--about this group.

How do I stop this group from showing my e-mail address on the
header... I tried "preferances" and found nothing.

Doug Kanter

You should not be using your regular email address in any venue where it's
publicly accessible, unless you want your inbox filled with an
ever-increasing mountain of crap mail. Don't bother trying to hide your
email address. Just don't use it. Period. End of question and answer time.
Your solution: Set up a trash email address through one of the free services
like Yahoo. If you think you might occasionally get valid emails at that
address, make a habit of checking it at certain intervals.

It's considered bad form for people who respond to your newsgroup questions
via email, since that detracts from the whole point of the public forum:
It's supposed to allow others to learn from your questions. So, except for
people who haven't figured this out, you'll probably find you get very few

wrote in message
ups.com...
How do I stop this group from showing my e-mail address on the
header... I tried "preferances" and found nothing.

Marcus

edit your news profile to have a garbage email address

--
Marcus

I like people, they are bio-degradable !.

jeffc

"Marcus" wrote in message
edit your news profile to have a garbage email address

It doesn't even have to be a real one, like Doug suggested.

Warren Weber

"Marcus" wrote in message
edit your news profile to have a garbage email address

--
Marcus

I like people, they are bio-degradable !.
For those who don't know how (like me) how about some details please. W W

Ed

"Warren Weber" wrote

For those who don't know how (like me) how about some details please. W W

If you use Outlook Express.
While you are in news, click "tools", then "ac****s", then "news", click on
your account and the click on "properties".
Fill in the e-mail box with anythink that you like.

Dr. Hardcrab

"Ed" wrote in message

"Warren Weber" wrote

For those who don't know how (like me) how about some details please. W W

If you use Outlook Express.
While you are in news, click "tools", then "ac****s", then "news", click
on your account and the click on "properties".
Fill in the e-mail box with anythink that you like.

I think you DO have to at least have an '@' sign and a "dot" something or it
won't take it......

Grandpa Koca

Dr. Hardcrab wrote:
"Ed" wrote in message

"Warren Weber" wrote

For those who don't know how (like me) how about some details please. W W

If you use Outlook Express.
While you are in news, click "tools", then "ac****s", then "news", click
on your account and the click on "properties".
Fill in the e-mail box with anythink that you like.

I think you DO have to at least have an '@' sign and a "dot" something or it
won't take it......

Yep, you got to have the '@' and the "dot" to make it work. You could
use my address. It works for newsgroup postings and if anyone tries to
send an email, well just try it yourself and see.
--
Grandpa Koca - SAHD for 6 - Keeper of the Perpetual Kindergarten

My opinion is neither copyrighted nor trademarked. It is price
competitive. If you like, I'll trade for one of yours.
Doug Kanter

"Ed" wrote in message

"Warren Weber" wrote

For those who don't know how (like me) how about some details please. W W

If you use Outlook Express.
While you are in news, click "tools", then "ac****s", then "news", click
on your account and the click on "properties".
Fill in the e-mail box with anythink that you like.

Just one warning about doing this: Some moderated newsgroups are set up so
they check for a valid email address. Otherwise, they won't post your
message. Rec.guns & rec.hunting are just two examples. This is why is pays
to get a real address from yahoo or hotmail, even if you never check it.

Warren Weber

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

"Ed" wrote in message

"Warren Weber" wrote

For those who don't know how (like me) how about some details please. W

If you use Outlook Express.
While you are in news, click "tools", then "ac****s", then "news", click
on your account and the click on "properties".
Fill in the e-mail box with anythink that you like.

Just one warning about doing this: Some moderated newsgroups are set up so
they check for a valid email address. Otherwise, they won't post your
message. Rec.guns & rec.hunting are just two examples. This is why is pays
to get a real address from yahoo or hotmail, even if you never check it.
I thank you 3 gentlemen for clueing me in. W W

Doug Kanter

"Warren Weber" wrote in message

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

"Ed" wrote in message

"Warren Weber" wrote

For those who don't know how (like me) how about some details please. W

If you use Outlook Express.
While you are in news, click "tools", then "ac****s", then "news", click
on your account and the click on "properties".
Fill in the e-mail box with anythink that you like.

Just one warning about doing this: Some moderated newsgroups are set up
so they check for a valid email address. Otherwise, they won't post your
message. Rec.guns & rec.hunting are just two examples. This is why is
pays to get a real address from yahoo or hotmail, even if you never check
it.
I thank you 3 gentlemen for clueing me in. W W

One last thing: Do not write your replies next to an arrow (). Those are
here to indicate what was said by the person whose message you're responding
to. When YOU write adjacent to an arrow, it makes your response blend with
the original message, and harder to differentiate.

JerryMouse

jeffc wrote:
"Marcus" wrote in message
edit your news profile to have a garbage email address

It doesn't even have to be a real one, like Doug suggested.

But it shouldn't be a valid one, either, else some other poor ******* gets
spammed.

Warren Weber

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

"Warren Weber" wrote in message

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

"Ed" wrote in message

"Warren Weber" wrote

[...]

Giving this a try W W

johnny

"Warren Weber wrote

Giving this a try W W

You go Warren! Good job!

SteveB

Just one warning about doing this: Some moderated newsgroups are set up
so they check for a valid email address. Otherwise, they won't post
your message. Rec.guns & rec.hunting are just two examples.

Belonging to a moderated newsgroup is like being in Catholic School. I
refuse to raise my hand and be given permission to speak.

Just me. YMMV.

Steve

BTW, I did go to Catholic School. When I went to boot camp, the DI was
yelling in my face. I said, "You don't scare me. I went to Catholic
School." He laughed. We got along after that.

Doug Kanter

"SteveB" wrote in message
Just one warning about doing this: Some moderated newsgroups are set
up so they check for a valid email address. Otherwise, they won't post
your message. Rec.guns & rec.hunting are just two examples.

Belonging to a moderated newsgroup is like being in Catholic School. I
refuse to raise my hand and be given permission to speak.

Just me. YMMV.

Steve

Agreed, but rec.guns is a pretty informative group, once you learn to ignore
the few who think gun rights and religion are inseparable. I've picked up
tons of technical info there. The moderator's a bit overzealous, but still
workable.

Chris Lewis

According to Warren Weber hiviewNO SPAM@:

Giving this a try W W

I wouldn't do that, because it violates RFC 1036 From: line formatting
standards. Which means, no matter how much you care about "standards",
that _some_ Usenet servers will simply drop your postings on the floor.

The munging faq mentioned elsewhere is the place to look for guideance.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est

ChazC

JerryMouse wrote:
jeffc wrote:

"Marcus" wrote in message

edit your news profile to have a garbage email address

It doesn't even have to be a real one, like Doug suggested.

But it shouldn't be a valid one, either, else some other poor ******* gets
spammed.

what news reader are you using?
Doug Kanter

"ChazC" wrote in message
JerryMouse wrote:
jeffc wrote:

"Marcus" wrote in message

edit your news profile to have a garbage email address

It doesn't even have to be a real one, like Doug suggested.

But it shouldn't be a valid one, either, else some other poor *******
gets spammed.

what news reader are you using?

He's using Outlook Express 6.x.

meirman

In alt.home.repair on Tue, 01 Mar 2005 14:56:26 GMT "Doug Kanter"
posted:

"SteveB" wrote in message
Just one warning about doing this: Some moderated newsgroups are set
up so they check for a valid email address. Otherwise, they won't post
your message. Rec.guns & rec.hunting are just two examples.

Belonging to a moderated newsgroup is like being in Catholic School. I
refuse to raise my hand and be given permission to speak.

Just me. YMMV.

Steve

Agreed, but rec.guns is a pretty informative group, once you learn to ignore
the few who think gun rights and religion are inseparable. I've picked up
tons of technical info there. The moderator's a bit overzealous, but still
workable.

Power corrupts and it corrupts moderators very frequently, makes them
into little control freaks. When one of my favorite newsgroups
changed to moderated, it ruined it.

Yet, groups that cover certain topics are overrun by spammers and hate
mail. Sometimes 80% of the posts can be hate mail. It's very tedious
and moderation is a tempting choice.

Technical groups, like this one and computer technical groups usually
don't attrack hate mail.

Meirman
--
If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.
meirman

In alt.home.repair on Mon, 28 Feb 2005 20:08:45 GMT "Doug Kanter"
posted:

"Ed" wrote in message

"Warren Weber" wrote

For those who don't know how (like me) how about some details please. W W

If you use Outlook Express.
While you are in news, click "tools", then "ac****s", then "news", click
on your account and the click on "properties".
Fill in the e-mail box with anythink that you like.

Just one warning about doing this: Some moderated newsgroups are set up so
they check for a valid email address. Otherwise, they won't post your
message. Rec.guns & rec.hunting are just two examples. This is why is pays
to get a real address from yahoo or hotmail, even if you never check it.

And some ISPs won't allow one to send email without a valid or
semi-valid from-address. Since my version of Agent only has one from-
address, for both posting to news and sending email, I have to follow
the rules for both when I do either one, post or email.

So, in *my* case, if I use my own domain, or one of the others that
Erols owns, I have to use a valid local part. Which means I have to
use my own full address, which I don't want to do.

If I use some other domain, my isp isn't able to easily check if there
is a valid local part. So that leaves the question, what domain
should I use? This particular from- address was chosen almost
accidentally. I tested and noticed that I didn't even get a bounce
message or anything, and when I went to
www.invalid.com, it seemed
that it was set up for testing by some group of people. Go to
www.invalid.com and you'll see that they don't seem to mind. In fact,
they are clearer about that than they used to be, than they were the
last time I looked. In fact, now they seem to be sort of proud of it!
Go see. Clicking on "here" took me to some Swedish google page, with
the various references to invalid.com that they seem to be proud of.

In the early days, email addresses could be maid invalid by changing
..com to .com.invalid . Whether Erols would allow me to use one of
those, without a valid domain embedded in it, I think not but I
haven't tried it. Whether the address harvester programs would
remove the .invalid part and start sending email to what was left, I
don't know.

I was told years ago by tech support at my isp that address
harversters did not normally look inside an email to find the reply-to
address, and considering how often I've used my valid email address
there, and how little spam I get, that seems to still be true. OTOH,
I've noticed one or two spams that had both my from- and my reply-to-
addresses listed**, so they must occasionally find reply-to address. I
mean to put in a munged address there, but haven't done so yet.

**A lot of other spam might be coming to me via my reply-to address,
but since the to- address is often nothing to do with me and my
address would have to be in the bcc- addresses, I can't tell in those
cases.

Meirman
--
If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.
JimmySchmittsLovesChocolateMilk

I know my response is a little late, but I just wanted to chime in here on
this topic,
I followed the advise about never using your email when posting to any
newsgroups when I was first introduced to them.
recently I added a Google (gmail) mail account and switched all my ng
readers to that address rather than the fake address that I had been using.
I have never used the gmail account for anything other than posting on NG's.
since using that email for now about 1 month, I have not received 1 single
spam message in that account.
I have received 1 reply from a fellow ng'er who responded to me directly.
IMO I think that it is possible that the fear over spam being generated from
NG addresses may have been over stated.

course, in a year from now I may be regretting saying that, but for now.
I'm going to keep that "real" address just to test my theory. I do
actually use a hotmail account and get lots of spam directed to it, but, I
think that is more a result of spammers writing programs to mail to any
combo of letters @hotmail.com.

in smaller NG's than this one, having a real address contributes to a
community feel instead of "hiding" behind an alias.

just my 2 cents.

Dave

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
You should not be using your regular email address in any venue where it's
publicly accessible, unless you want your inbox filled with an
ever-increasing mountain of crap mail. Don't bother trying to hide your
email address. Just don't use it. Period. End of question and answer time.
Your solution: Set up a trash email address through one of the free
services like Yahoo. If you think you might occasionally get valid emails
at that address, make a habit of checking it at certain intervals.

It's considered bad form for people who respond to your newsgroup
questions via email, since that detracts from the whole point of the
public forum: It's supposed to allow others to learn from your questions.
So, except for people who haven't figured this out, you'll probably find
you get very few responses via email.

ups.com...