JimmySchmittsLovesChocolateMilk

I know my response is a little late, but I just wanted to chime in here on
this topic,
I followed the advise about never using your email when posting to any
newsgroups when I was first introduced to them.
recently I added a Google (gmail) mail account and switched all my ng
readers to that address rather than the fake address that I had been using.
I have never used the gmail account for anything other than posting on NG's.
since using that email for now about 1 month, I have not received 1 single
spam message in that account.
I have received 1 reply from a fellow ng'er who responded to me directly.
IMO I think that it is possible that the fear over spam being generated from
NG addresses may have been over stated.

course, in a year from now I may be regretting saying that, but for now.
I'm going to keep that "real" address just to test my theory. I do
actually use a hotmail account and get lots of spam directed to it, but, I
think that is more a result of spammers writing programs to mail to any
combo of letters @hotmail.com.

in smaller NG's than this one, having a real address contributes to a
community feel instead of "hiding" behind an alias.

just my 2 cents.

Dave

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
You should not be using your regular email address in any venue where it's
publicly accessible, unless you want your inbox filled with an
ever-increasing mountain of crap mail. Don't bother trying to hide your
email address. Just don't use it. Period. End of question and answer time.
Your solution: Set up a trash email address through one of the free
services like Yahoo. If you think you might occasionally get valid emails
at that address, make a habit of checking it at certain intervals.

It's considered bad form for people who respond to your newsgroup
questions via email, since that detracts from the whole point of the
public forum: It's supposed to allow others to learn from your questions.
So, except for people who haven't figured this out, you'll probably find
you get very few responses via email.

wrote in message
ups.com...
How do I stop this group from showing my e-mail address on the
header... I tried "preferances" and found nothing.