Default At what point can you close the damper on a fireplace?

Hi there I am new to fireplaces. I have a heatolator insert fireplace,
which is just great. If I close the damper (its either open fully or
closed) it still seems to burn, just slowly, and no smoke enters the
house. Am I supposed to close the damper before I go to bed, if there
are just coals left? Or should I leave it open all night until its
cold?

Thanks and sorry for the novice question!

Dean

xrongor

head yourself down to the library and learn how to use your stove properly.
i assume you cant use a search engine properly either... maybe check that
one out too while you are there.

randy

Hi there I am new to fireplaces. I have a heatolator insert fireplace,
which is just great. If I close the damper (its either open fully or
closed) it still seems to burn, just slowly, and no smoke enters the
house. Am I supposed to close the damper before I go to bed, if there
are just coals left? Or should I leave it open all night until its
cold?

Thanks and sorry for the novice question!

Dean

don't be a **** head. if everyone followed your advice this form would
not exhist.

randy - take your head out of your arse...

I am concerned about CO, but I have several detectors around that would
warn me.

Dean

I guess he doesn't get it, that its easier to ask than to 'pop down to
the local library and look it up'. Especially as its anonymous here so
who cares if you ask a dumb question?

Jeez

xrongor

funny how many people chose to attack me for giving proper advice, yet offer
nothing of their own on the subject.

let me spell it out for you.

you cannot learn enough to operate a fireplace safely in a couple paragraphs
from short newsgroup answer to an incomplete question. looking at the
replies so far, i think that should be obvious. you dont need to go
anywhere. just use a search engine and search for fireplace safety. it
should be clear from the question that this person needs to know a bit more
about how a stove operates than simply should i close the damper at night.

its not a dumb question. never said it was. there are no dumb questions.
just dumb comments about the answers...

randy

wrote in message
oups.com...
I guess he doesn't get it, that its easier to ask than to 'pop down to
the local library and look it up'. Especially as its anonymous here so
who cares if you ask a dumb question?

Jeez

Well it was not your advice that I disliked, it was the way you put it.
Sarcasm holds very low to me. I have been researching furnaces and
chimneys for a long long time now on the web. I just had a question
about the particular model I have of fireplace, since it appears to
have a secondary path to the chimney, although I cannot see well enough
to be sure. No point wasting good house air is there? I called the
makers and evern they didn't know if I could close the damper! Hence my
question on google.

Well, thanks all the same.

Dean

I always leave mine open until the fire is completely out. Usually,
from a practical standpoint, this means overnight, as by bed time,
their are usually quite a bit of embers still burning. I don't
understand your comment about the fireplace having another path up the
flue besides the passage with the damper. I've never seen that in a
home fireplace and it would be a big energy waste if it were built that
way.

As for the CO issues, people have died in tents using charcoal grills.
Given the air volumes, it would be harder to do this in a house, but
why take a chance? Plus, fires that looked like they were out have
been know to spring back to life hours later.

Posted to alt.home.repair

youre an ass hat for that response. ugh

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ce-592727-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dean:.here i am googling the same question you must have 15 years ago.
sad to see the responses of these ppl. I hope you found your answer 15 years ago as I am looking for mine now. can i close the flue when embers are burning? Guess its a classic ) cheers

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ce-592727-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, January 28, 2021 at 10:15:08 AM UTC-5, Mel in the city wrote:
Dean:.here i am googling the same question you must have 15 years ago.
sad to see the responses of these ppl. I hope you found your answer 15 years ago as I am looking for mine now. can i close the flue when embers are burning? Guess its a classic ) cheers

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ce-592727-.htm

No, I would not close it when there are embers still burning. Burning embers means
combustion gases, including CO are still being emitted. Probably not enough to kill
you or make you sick, but why would you want to breathe that crap?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/28/2021 10:18 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Thursday, January 28, 2021 at 10:15:08 AM UTC-5, Mel in the city wrote:
Dean:.here i am googling the same question you must have 15 years ago.
sad to see the responses of these ppl. I hope you found your answer 15 years ago as I am looking for mine now. can i close the flue when embers are burning? Guess its a classic ) cheers

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ce-592727-.htm

No, I would not close it when there are embers still burning. Burning embers means
combustion gases, including CO are still being emitted. Probably not enough to kill
you or make you sick, but why would you want to breathe that crap?

Indoor bar-b-ques have killed many people. Kind of the same thing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, January 28, 2021 at 1:36:33 PM UTC-5, Bob F wrote:
On 1/28/2021 10:18 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Thursday, January 28, 2021 at 10:15:08 AM UTC-5, Mel in the city wrote:
Dean:.here i am googling the same question you must have 15 years ago.
sad to see the responses of these ppl. I hope you found your answer 15 years ago as I am looking for mine now. can i close the flue when embers are burning? Guess its a classic ) cheers

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ce-592727-.htm

No, I would not close it when there are embers still burning. Burning embers means
combustion gases, including CO are still being emitted. Probably not enough to kill
you or make you sick, but why would you want to breathe that crap?

Indoor bar-b-ques have killed many people. Kind of the same thing.

That's true. It all depends on the size of the combustion and the size of the rooms.
A big house with one fireplace, open doors inside, etc is one thing. A fireplace
with burning embers in a small closed off room is another. If you fell asleep there,
you're right, it probably could kill you. I never closed the damper until the next day.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/28/2021 1:50 PM, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

I don't think CO is ever good for you.

Unless you have no heat otherwise, most open fireplaces are basically
just a big heat sink. They just suck the heated air out of the house.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 28 Jan 2021 14:21:18 -0800, Bob F posted for all of us to digest...

Unless you have no heat otherwise, most open fireplaces are basically
just a big heat sink. They just suck the heated air out of the house.

I have also found that to be true.

--
Tekkie