Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default At what point can you close the damper on a fireplace?

On 1/28/2021 1:50 PM, trader_4 wrote:
On Thursday, January 28, 2021 at 1:36:33 PM UTC-5, Bob F wrote:
On 1/28/2021 10:18 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Thursday, January 28, 2021 at 10:15:08 AM UTC-5, Mel in the city wrote:
Dean:.here i am googling the same question you must have 15 years ago.
sad to see the responses of these ppl. I hope you found your answer 15 years ago as I am looking for mine now. can i close the flue when embers are burning? Guess its a classic ) cheers

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ce-592727-.htm

No, I would not close it when there are embers still burning. Burning embers means
combustion gases, including CO are still being emitted. Probably not enough to kill
you or make you sick, but why would you want to breathe that crap?

Indoor bar-b-ques have killed many people. Kind of the same thing.

That's true. It all depends on the size of the combustion and the size of the rooms.
A big house with one fireplace, open doors inside, etc is one thing. A fireplace
with burning embers in a small closed off room is another. If you fell asleep there,
you're right, it probably could kill you. I never closed the damper until the next day.

I don't think CO is ever good for you.

Unless you have no heat otherwise, most open fireplaces are basically
just a big heat sink. They just suck the heated air out of the house.