Gregory

Default 10-yr Old Whirlpool Dryer, not drying...

Whirlpool "Clean Touch", Heavy Duty, Electric Clothes Dryer.

I know that 10-yrs is a long time, but everyone of my neighbors has had
theirs for that long and some 15+ years!

Anyway, for the last couple of weeks, it takes 2 long cycles for the clothes
to dry. I checked the lint filter, checked for kinks in the exhaust pipe,
etc., but don't know where to look next. Any ideas as to what would be
causing this inefficiency?

Doug Boulter

"Gregory" wrote on 17 Feb 2005:

Any ideas as to what would be causing this inefficiency?

Yes, an exhaust vent pipe clogged with lint.

--
Doug Boulter

To reply by e-mail, remove the obvious word from the e-mail address
Dave Solly

"Gregory" wrote in
ervers.com:

Whirlpool "Clean Touch", Heavy Duty, Electric Clothes Dryer.

I know that 10-yrs is a long time, but everyone of my neighbors has
had theirs for that long and some 15+ years!

Anyway, for the last couple of weeks, it takes 2 long cycles for the
clothes to dry. I checked the lint filter, checked for kinks in the
exhaust pipe, etc., but don't know where to look next. Any ideas as
to what would be causing this inefficiency?

Take the lint filter out, run a slow stream of water over it. Does the
water go through the filter? If not, clean it with ordanary dish soap. Try
it again, and you'll see how much water passes (all should pass). Dry it
off and I'll bet your dryer will work much better.

Dave
Joseph Meehan

Gregory wrote:
Whirlpool "Clean Touch", Heavy Duty, Electric Clothes Dryer.

I know that 10-yrs is a long time, but everyone of my neighbors has
had theirs for that long and some 15+ years!

Anyway, for the last couple of weeks, it takes 2 long cycles for the
clothes to dry. I checked the lint filter, checked for kinks in the
exhaust pipe, etc., but don't know where to look next. Any ideas as
to what would be causing this inefficiency?

You say Electric and you say the last couple of weeks. That would tend
to suggest not a venting problem as a venting problem would have come on
slow, but rather an electric problem.

My guess is you are now drying with only 120V rather than 240V. That
could be a breaker that has been tripped, but if it has been installed
correctly it would have tripped both legs and nothing would have worked. I
suggest that you have a wiring problem, likely a burned connection at the
heater elements.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Appliance Repair Aid

Gregory wrote:
Whirlpool "Clean Touch", Heavy Duty, Electric Clothes Dryer.

I know that 10-yrs is a long time, but everyone of my neighbors has

had
theirs for that long and some 15+ years!

Anyway, for the last couple of weeks, it takes 2 long cycles for the

clothes
to dry. I checked the lint filter, checked for kinks in the exhaust

pipe,
etc., but don't know where to look next. Any ideas as to what would

be
causing this inefficiency?

Hi,

Whirlpool "Clean Touch", Heavy Duty, Electric Clothes Dryer.

Model#?
Names do little to ID the dryer.
http://www.applianceaid.com/model.html
Some model# help.

Anyway, for the last couple of weeks, it takes 2 long cycles for the

clothes
to dry.

A copy:

Quick info tips....
Q - Dryer takes too long to dry or multiple times to dry a load

A1- Pull the dryer out away from the wall. Unhook the vent from the
dryer completely. Do not put anything over the dryer exhaust on the
back of the dryer. Do a normal load with the vent unhooked. If it dries
better or ok like this then the problem is in the dryer venting. Like a
blocked vent pipe or a smashed or restricted vent hose.

A2 - If the vent doesn't make a difference, then check the blower
wheel for excessive lint build up, check that there isn't anything
stuck to the air intake baffle inside the drum, (i.e. the screen on the
back wall of the dryer when looking into the drum). Check the lint
filter chute for blockage. Check that the heating element isn't shorted
to ground ( http://www.applianceaid.com/grounded.html ). Check the
exhaust temperature of the dryer. A meat or pocket thermometer (
http://store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/clink...f+pocther.html )
can be used for this. It should cycle approx between 120 degrees and
160 degrees. Check that the drum seals are not worn out.

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Brian Oakley

"Gregory" wrote in message
ervers.com...
Whirlpool "Clean Touch", Heavy Duty, Electric Clothes Dryer.

I know that 10-yrs is a long time, but everyone of my neighbors has had
theirs for that long and some 15+ years!

Anyway, for the last couple of weeks, it takes 2 long cycles for the

clothes
to dry. I checked the lint filter, checked for kinks in the exhaust pipe,
etc., but don't know where to look next. Any ideas as to what would be
causing this inefficiency?

Do the clothes get warm when they dry? If not, you may have an electrical
part in the back that is bad. I had to put in a "kit" on my whirlpool. It
lasted a while, but I suspect I also had a clogged vent (mine goes up
through the roof) and it stopped drying again.

Gregory

Thanks, I'll try cleaning that, first, and then take it from there. The
vent pipe is going behind the tub, but I think I can snake something through
it to get it cleaned.

"Doug Boulter" wrote in message
.142...
"Gregory" wrote on 17 Feb 2005:

Any ideas as to what would be causing this inefficiency?

Yes, an exhaust vent pipe clogged with lint.

--
Doug Boulter

To reply by e-mail, remove the obvious word from the e-mail address

Gregory

Will try that, as well.

I cleaned the lint filter, but didn't run water through it. Good advice,
thanks.

"Dave Solly" wrote in message
"Gregory" wrote in
ervers.com:

Gregory wrote:
[...]

Please let us know the resolution.

BTW I have used an electric leaf blower to blow lint ot of the whole
system from right inside the dryer.

BTW#2 If the outside air outlet has a door with hinged louvers make
sure they open easily.

LB