Default Dryer is squeaking

16 year old GE gas dryer squeaking.
Possible causes? How hard to fix? Sites with pictures of dryers?

TIA

LB
Dave L.

LB,

There's nylon glides and bearings or bushings that wear out. Once pulled apart
the dryer's friction parts can be seen easily. Parts aren't that dear. Just give
yourself a day to do it.

Dave

In article , wrote:

16 year old GE gas dryer squeaking.
Possible causes? How hard to fix? Sites with pictures of dryers?

Harry K

16 year old GE gas dryer squeaking.
Possible causes? How hard to fix? Sites with pictures of dryers?

TIA

LB

16 Years?? Time for a parts replacement. Belt, idler pulley, some
glides. I assume it is a belt driven unit. The parts house will know
what you need and may have it all in one kit. You will need the manual
to find out how to take the machine apart (mostly how to get the drum
out). Putting it together again is easy.

Harry K

Kathy

wrote in message ...
16 year old GE gas dryer squeaking.
Possible causes? How hard to fix? Sites with pictures of dryers?

TIA

LB

Just make the TV louder and don't worry about it.

Stormin Mormon

Also possible, but the couple I've done, the problem was the two idler
rollers in the back.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

In article , wrote:

16 year old GE gas dryer squeaking.
Possible causes? How hard to fix? Sites with pictures of dryers?

Stormin Mormon

Set out mouse traps. HAHAHAHA!!!!

More seriously, the squeaky driers I've fixed, I've had to remove a few
screws (open the door, and look up to find them). Lift the top.

Remove a couple sheet metal screws (5/16 ratchet wrench) which hold the
front panel on.

Remove front panel (swing away cause there are wires)

Remove drum, noting how small black belt loops around idler (lower left) and
motor (also lower left).

Look for two idler rollers in back, way down low. About three inch diameter.
Lube the roller shaft wtih something that doesn't attract dust, like
silicone. Teflon. Graphite.

Reassemble. Which is a lot harder that it sounds "reassemble".

Pictures? Can't help you there.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message ...
16 year old GE gas dryer squeaking.
Possible causes? How hard to fix? Sites with pictures of dryers?

TIA

LB

Appliance Repair Aid wrote:

wrote:
16 year old GE gas dryer squeaking How hard to fix? Sites with

pictures of dryers?

TIA

LB

Hi,

Model#?

GE gas dryer squeaking How hard to fix? Sites with pictures of
dryers?

Belt won't squeak but should be checked for any cracking. Rear drum
bearing, idler pulley, motor are common noise makers....esp the rear
drum bearing on a GE dryer.

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

What a great group:-))

Thanks to all who replied.

From the range of possibilities it sounds like I might want to get a
pro(?), especially since the dryer is in a fairly tight space. I am in
NW NJ any thoughts?

TIA, again.

LB

BobK207

Dryer repair (mechanical issues) is one of the easiest things for a
new DIY'er to tackle.

Go to repairclinic.com & buy a repair guide for your dryer, they're
cheap & worth it.

repairclinic.com can help you diagnose the problem, the manual has
exploded views of your dryer & they can suppy the parts you need.

Even if you have only a few hand tools, you should be able to replace
the drum rollers & their shafts (that's my guess as the source of the
squeak) in a couple hours.

I have 1972 Kenmore electric dryer that squeaked like crazy, I replaced
the rollers & shafts in 1990 & it's been running couple loads a week
in my shop since then.

cheers
Bob

Bob

Duane Bozarth

BobK207 wrote:
Even if you have only a few hand tools, you should be able to replace
the drum rollers & their shafts (that's my guess as the source of the
squeak) in a couple hours.

If it's GE or Whirlpool type, the most likely culprit is the nylon
bearing on the drum shaft not the drum support rollers...

Appliance Repair Aid wrote:

wrote:

From the range of possibilities it sounds like I might want to get a
pro(?), especially since the dryer is in a fairly tight space. I am

in
NW NJ any thoughts?

May or may not help....
http://www.pcappliancerepair.com/referral.html

Zip code needed.

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

"There are currently no companies in your
area that match your criteria." SIGH

But thanks anyway.

LB