Default Craftsman snow thrower stalls

I am attempting to help to get a snow thrower working. :-) It is a
Craftsman snow thrower (model 536.884330, code 0323M) that starts and
then after about 15 minutes of running, stalls. Sometimes, we can get
it restarted, but even then it seems to stall every few minutes until
eventually it will not start.

If we wait a little while and come back an hour or so later, it
restarts.

The gas mixture is fresh. What would inhibit it from continuing to
run? Would replacing the spark plug be next on the list or do we need
to look to the carb?

I don't know how often maintenance has been done on the machine...I
would guess it is in need of a tune up.

Is there a site that would show how to disassemble and clean the carb
on the machine or a general tune-up list (I think I remember seeing
that the model 536* indicates a Murray-built machine)? I've been
searching for one, but would appreciate a link if you have one that has
been useful to you.

Thank you,
Dave

toller

It sounds like you are not using the choke properly. I am sure you are and
it is something else entirely, but maybe...

toller wrote:
It sounds like you are not using the choke properly. I am sure you

are and
it is something else entirely, but maybe...

We set the choke when starting and ease off as it warms up.

toller

wrote in message
oups.com...

toller wrote:
It sounds like you are not using the choke properly. I am sure you

are and
it is something else entirely, but maybe...

We set the choke when starting and ease off as it warms up.

Just for fun, ease off slower. Can't hurt. I don't know off hand what
Craftsman model I have, but I have to ease off the choke over a much longer
period of time than really seems reasonable, or it stalls on me.

I had a similar problem from a Craftsman model 663 two stroke engine
from the late seventies. I tried to look up your model but could only
determine that it may be from the same time period.

I fixed my random shut down for no apparent reason problem by
disassembling the bottom of the carburetor and cleaning all the
accumulated gunk out of the bowl. Be careful of the paper thin rubber
gasket. I was able to do this without buying any new parts. It's still
working today at an age of about 26 years.
Stormin Mormon

Sounds like you either have
1) a fuel line too close to the motor (vapor lock)
2) or you have valve clearance problems. My guess. Requires dissembling the
engine, and grind some metal off the camshaft end of the valve. I've done
this, but it's a bit involved. Learned about this in the small engine course
I took umpteen years back.
3) Third answer, bad vent in the gas cap.
4) answer, bad windings in ignition coil.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Mark

I had a similar problem....

turns out the gas cap has a TINY hole in the top to allow air to enter
the gas tank so the gas can leave. With all that snow flying around it
is easy for some snow to fall in the hole, freeze and clog it shut.

I drilled 4 somewhat larger holes in the side of the cap and it seems
to have fixed it for me. (With the cap off and clean of gas, don't
bring your electric drill near a gas tank please....)

I don't think you can have a vapor lock problem when it is 25 deg F
out.

Snow Thrower / Blower advice? Teffy Home Repair 6 October 23rd 04 02:48 AM
Craftsman Snow Thrower...Cracked Plastic Chute Deflector [email protected] Home Repair 2 January 27th 04 04:41 AM
Can my Craftsman 15.5 hp, 42 in. Deck Lawn Tractor use Craftsman 42 in. Deluxe Lawn Tractor Snow Thrower B52 Home Ownership 1 January 14th 04 04:31 PM
snow thrower advice jb Home Repair 18 November 12th 03 05:43 PM
Gonna buy a snow thrower SJ Home Ownership 4 September 15th 03 08:02 PM