T.D. Hilton

Default Hardwood floor care

Hello All,

I had my hardwood floors sanded and polyurethaned over the fall and now I
have questions about keeping it clean and shiny. The guy who did the job
advised me not to use wax on the floor. So, what can I use to keep a poly'd
hardwood floor clean and shiny without turning it into an ice rink? let me
also explain that these floors are about 45 years old, not the new stuff
that is put down over subflooring. This is a *real* hardwood floor. I've
seen cleaners advertised but it was for, shall I say, manufactured flooring
and I wasn't sure how it would do with my floor. After spending $1700+ on
the job I don't want to screw it up with a $10 cleaner.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Troy

m Ransley

Soap an water, just no plastics in the floor products, or future
refinishing will be bad.

m Ransley

use water or a mild soap that does not leave oil residue.

Unknown

When I moved into my house with real wood floors I had the same question.
After much research the answer i found was vinegar and water. Of course use
a lightly damp mop.

"m Ransley" wrote in message
Soap an water, just no plastics in the floor products, or future
refinishing will be bad.

rnr_construction

"m Ransley" wrote in message
use water or a mild soap that does not leave oil residue.

water with some vinager works great

Bonnie Jean

I use Bonakemi hardwood floor cleaner with a microfiber mop. I bought the
mop from them too but you don't have to. It's the best thing I've ever used
on my floors. (not associated with them in any way) I also use their floor
Refresher once a year or so. I have 2 dogs so the floors get scratched up
and the Refresher makes them look almost new again. You can get the floor
cleaner a\on their website or at your local Ace Hardware or Bed bath and
Beyond. (not all of them carry it)
"T.D. Hilton" wrote in message
Hello All,

I had my hardwood floors sanded and polyurethaned over the fall and now I
have questions about keeping it clean and shiny. The guy who did the job
advised me not to use wax on the floor. So, what can I use to keep a poly'd
hardwood floor clean and shiny without turning it into an ice rink? let me
also explain that these floors are about 45 years old, not the new stuff
that is put down over subflooring. This is a *real* hardwood floor. I've
seen cleaners advertised but it was for, shall I say, manufactured flooring
and I wasn't sure how it would do with my floor. After spending $1700+ on
the job I don't want to screw it up with a $10 cleaner.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Troy

Alan

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 01:29:45 GMT, "T.D. Hilton"
wrote:

Hello All,

I had my hardwood floors sanded and polyurethaned over the fall and now I
have questions about keeping it clean and shiny. The guy who did the job
advised me not to use wax on the floor. So, what can I use to keep a poly'd
hardwood floor clean and shiny without turning it into an ice rink? let me
also explain that these floors are about 45 years old, not the new stuff
that is put down over subflooring. This is a *real* hardwood floor. I've
seen cleaners advertised but it was for, shall I say, manufactured flooring
and I wasn't sure how it would do with my floor. After spending $1700+ on
the job I don't want to screw it up with a $10 cleaner.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I like Minwax Hardwood Floor Cleaner.
Steve Manes

wrote:

I had my hardwood floors sanded and polyurethaned over the fall and now I
have questions about keeping it clean and shiny. The guy who did the job
advised me not to use wax on the floor. So, what can I use to keep a poly'd
hardwood floor clean and shiny without turning it into an ice rink?

For everyday cleaning, warm water with a half-cup of white vinegar.
The vingear cuts down on the water spots and won't harm the finish.
For spot cleanups (i.e. sick pets), use a non-ammonia based window
cleaner. Twice a year or so, use a good urethaned hardwood cleaner.
The big box home stores carry them. Lowes has a hardwood floor care
kit with spray cleaner and terrycloth mop which works well on my
engineered floors.

------------------------------------------=o&o----
Steve Manes, Brooklyn, USA
www.magpie.com

Lola

I have just used warm water and a mild detergent. I have not put any
vinegar in there yet, but it sounds like a pretty smart idea.
I think a good mop is essential though.

Phisherman

wrote:

Hello All,

I had my hardwood floors sanded and polyurethaned over the fall and now I
have questions about keeping it clean and shiny. The guy who did the job
advised me not to use wax on the floor. So, what can I use to keep a poly'd
hardwood floor clean and shiny without turning it into an ice rink? let me
also explain that these floors are about 45 years old, not the new stuff
that is put down over subflooring. This is a *real* hardwood floor. I've
seen cleaners advertised but it was for, shall I say, manufactured flooring
and I wasn't sure how it would do with my floor. After spending $1700+ on
the job I don't want to screw it up with a $10 cleaner.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Troy

It's the grit and dirt that dulls floors. Use a dust mop daily and a
vacuum regularly. This will keep scratching (and dulling) to a
minimum. You can also use an oil soap and a damp sponge, if
necessary. I use Murphy's oil soap once a year (no pets nor children
here), rinse and dry. Maybe not practical for most but we take our
shoes off when entering the house which helps keep the floor and
carpeting clean.