Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Old September 16th 04, 03:42 AM
ississauga

Default How to install hardwood flooring the wrong way?

If you have installed hardwood what mistakes have you made? The
hardwood I am installing is the 3/4 inch thick type, about 2-3 inches
wide, oak and maple mostly, finished type.

I am installing hardwood flooring for my customers. There is a big
demand for it here, as many people want me to replace their carpets
with hardwood. I have being reading books and now work with a
professional installer but there is nothing like learning from
mistakes.

Old September 16th 04, 05:51 AM
AL

I'm hardly an expert, but I would say a mistake would be to not make sure
the paying customer understands that humidity related shrinkage gaps are to
be expected. Maybe a mockup showing what it will look like in the winter is
in order.

Is ississauga related to Mississauga?

m...

Old September 16th 04, 08:29 AM
Suzie-Q

In article lZ82d.57555$D%[email protected]_s51, "AL" wrote:

- I'm hardly an expert, but I would say a mistake would be to not make sure
- the paying customer understands that humidity related shrinkage gaps are to
- be expected. Maybe a mockup showing what it will look like in the winter is
- in order.

Or maybe it should be installed in the winter? Or would that
lead to buckling in the summer?
--
8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~

http://www.suzanne-eckhardt.com/
***Revelation 22:12*** ICQ: 349878998
Old September 16th 04, 11:20 AM
Greg G.

AL said:

I'm hardly an expert, but I would say a mistake would be to not make sure
the paying customer understands that humidity related shrinkage gaps are to
be expected. Maybe a mockup showing what it will look like in the winter is
in order.

Or take the opportunity to sell them a furnace humidifier as well.
It has worked wonders for our house and furniture, and an added
benefit is that you are less susceptible to colds.
FWIW,

Greg G.
Old September 16th 04, 12:20 PM
Eric Johnson

My mistake was to use the wrong fasteners, get a proper flooring
installation tool and my experience would be to recommend staples. There are
2 or 3 brands of flooring staplers available out there.

Old September 16th 04, 01:21 PM
Wilson

Use a vapor barrier below the floor, especially over basement/crawl space.
If there's a crawl space, put plastic on the ground there too.
Wilson

Old September 16th 04, 01:59 PM
dadiOH

ississauga wrote:
If you have installed hardwood what mistakes have you made? The
hardwood I am installing is the 3/4 inch thick type, about 2-3
inches wide, oak and maple mostly, finished type.

I am installing hardwood flooring for my customers. There is a big
demand for it here, as many people want me to replace their carpets
with hardwood. I have being reading books and now work with a
professional installer but there is nothing like learning from
mistakes.

Assure that your first courses are dead straight and very firmly fastened.

--
dadiOH
_____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.0...
____________________________

Old September 16th 04, 02:54 PM
Jana

Greg G. wrote in message . ..
AL said:

I'm hardly an expert, but I would say a mistake would be to not make sure
the paying customer understands that humidity related shrinkage gaps are to
be expected. Maybe a mockup showing what it will look like in the winter is
in order.

Or take the opportunity to sell them a furnace humidifier as well.
It has worked wonders for our house and furniture, and an added
benefit is that you are less susceptible to colds.
FWIW,

Greg G.

The key to avoiding seasonal shrinkage is, as said above, moisture
content. Buy it from a supplier where you know it hasn't been sitting
around picking up moisture in warehouses or conatainers. If it's dried
right, there should be no problems. If the supplier says this is
normal...go somewhere else.
Old September 16th 04, 03:56 PM
JohnT.

Is such 3/4" thick flooring like this tongue and groove, or just
straight sided? Do you use those hammer type floor nailers? I'd think
Oak would be pretty hard to do with those big flat floor nails.

John "gots a lot of rough sawn oak and a carpet that needs replacing"