Junior Member

Default textured paint over panelling

Hello,

We have a room with 70's sheet panelling with thin grooves.It is already painted white.There isn't anything behind the panelling so ripping it out isn't an option. I want something different here but not drastically different from the rest of the house which is drywall.

I once saw a room that the owner had just painted over the panelling with a texture paint. He said he didn't use anything to fill in the grooves. It looked like plaster.
My spouse thinks we should fill in the grooves , sand it down then use the textured paint.This seems like a lot of trouble if it isn't necessary.

Have any of you done this and what kind of paint would you recommend ?Its a large room so cost is a consideration. The look I am going for is a subtle troweled look . I don't know what to call it. The color would be a cream or light tan.

Thank you,
Maverick
xrongor

"Maverick" wrote in message

[...]

dont bother filling the grooves.

randy

Lesley

Hi Maverick,

I am no expert, but I did just paint over the panelling in my kitchen.
I bought a house with panelling all over the place. It was in decent
condition but I just don't like panelling. Anyway, I cleaned it using
Chlorox wipes and then used one coat of primer and 2 coats of Antique
White, and it looks gorgeous!! I did not fill in the grooves. I
actually like the look of the grooves. I think it's the same look
you're after.

Lesley

effi

--
Maverick

you may want to reconsider removing the paneling from your home

panleing made before the early 1980s had high levels of formaldehyde
http://www.aerias.org/kview.asp?DocI...ceid=1&subid=3
"Health problems caused by formaldehyde can either be acute which occur
immediately or within a few days of exposure or they can be chronic which
are long-term health effects that might not show up for many years. Exposure
to formaldehyde can result in:

Eye, nose, and throat irritation; possible eye damage

Coughing; Chest tightness; wheezing, and asthma

Fatigue

Skin rash/hives

Nausea/vomiting

Nosebleeds

Headaches

Dizziness

Cancer (has been shown to cause cancer of the nasal passages in animals)
Exposure to large amounts of formaldehyde may cause pulmonary edema (fluid
build-up in the lungs) as well as damage the liver, kidneys, and the central
nervous system.

Sensitivity among different people varies widely. Some people may become
more sensitive to formaldehyde after an initial exposure. It is estimated
that 10 to 20 percent of the U.S. population have hyperreactive airways,
which may make them more susceptible to irritant effects of formaldehyde.
Children and adults have developed allergic reactions, including hives, from
exposure to formaldehyde. Other persons have developed allergic reactions
(such as allergic skin disease and hives) because of either direct skin
contact with solutions of formaldehyde or by wearing permanent-press
clothing containing formaldehyde."

formaldehyde is also in paper towels and paper plates, but that's another
discussion outside the home repair realm

1200 degree High heat spray paint stinks, literally Dan Musicant Metalworking 11 August 21st 20 01:03 PM
Paint formula changes av Home Repair 27 May 28th 14 08:02 AM
Textured paint? clevere Home Repair 5 September 5th 04 03:42 PM
UPDATE: Textured paint Iowacookiemom Home Ownership 1 March 15th 04 03:33 PM
Benjamin Moore paint types jeffc Home Ownership 1 August 19th 03 04:51 AM