Mike Karasoff

Default Soft Kitchen Flooring

I'm interested in replacing the flooring in a kitchen and I'm looking
for ideas on how to make the floor soft. Right now the floor is just
tile over concrete, which gets lots of complaints by the cook - she
would much prefer the feel of carpet with padding under her feet. I
was considering putting Marmoleum over cork, but I'm worried about the
cork rotting. Any suggestions?

ameijers

"Mike Karasoff" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm interested in replacing the flooring in a kitchen and I'm looking
for ideas on how to make the floor soft. Right now the floor is just
tile over concrete, which gets lots of complaints by the cook - she
would much prefer the feel of carpet with padding under her feet. I
was considering putting Marmoleum over cork, but I'm worried about the
cork rotting. Any suggestions?

Anything soft enough to feel like carpet over padding may get holes in it
whenever something with a hard edge is dropped on it. Chairs and other
furniture will also poke holes, or at least leave dents. Maybe not the first
few dozen times, but eventually. Will she go with a commercial look? You
could seal and caulk existing floor to make it almost waterproof (since it
is over concrete), and get a bunch of those interlocking industrial floor
mat things. Sams usually has a cheap thin version, but a restaurant or
industrial supply will have the real ones. Not pretty, but easy on the feet.
When something gets spilled, or it gets too grungy, just pull up and take to
carwash to power-wash pristine as new.

Or maybe just buy her some of those special padded shoes people who are on
their feet all day wear, and split the cooking duties? :^)

aem sends...

m Ransley

Laminated like pergo are fairly soft and a foam sheet is used
underneath. Water will damage any floor if enough is used and it drips
down through. Cork would work just change your washing habits

Dee

I saw a kitchen remodel on TV a couple weeks ago and they used sealed cork.
It looked surprisingly nice and the lady loved it -- said it was very easy
on the feet. I believe they said it comes in different colors.

Dee

I saw a kitchen remodel on TV a couple weeks ago and they used sealed cork.
It looked surprisingly nice and the lady loved it -- said it was very easy
on the feet. I believe they said it comes in different colors.

John Hines

"Mike Karasoff" wrote:

I'm interested in replacing the flooring in a kitchen and I'm looking
for ideas on how to make the floor soft. Right now the floor is just
tile over concrete, which gets lots of complaints by the cook - she
would much prefer the feel of carpet with padding under her feet. I
was considering putting Marmoleum over cork, but I'm worried about the
cork rotting. Any suggestions?

Large rubber backed rug? Or like the shock absorbing they use in
commercial kitchens? Astroturf?
Mike Karasoff

Astroturf. Thats it.

Mike Karasoff

Or maybe just buy her some of those special padded shoes people who
are on
their feet all day wear, and split the cooking duties? :^)

LOL. The shoes make too much sense, but I'm not sure anyone has the
guts to eat what I cook.

Mike Karasoff

I saw a kitchen remodel on TV a couple weeks ago and they used sealed
cork.
It looked surprisingly nice and the lady loved it -- said it was very

easy
on the feet. I believe they said it comes in different colors.

Dee,

Thanks much. It looks like sealed cork or floating linoleum/cork will
be the answer.