Ron

Default Soft maple for flooring???

I'm planning on installing hardwood flooring in our living & dining rooms
this spring.

I looked at a few of the laments, but, not too thrilled with what you get
for the money,
with the exception on "ease of installation".

I found some 1/2" soft maple for $2.20 a sq.ft. (surfaced 2 sides)

Would this be a sensible choice?
I'd think 1/2" would be thick enough, I've seen hw flooring as thin as 3/8"

I've also heard it stains well, any comments?

Figured I might be able to do more of the finish work myself and spend the
savings
on tools to do the job...

ThankX
Ron

Ron wrote:
I'm planning on installing hardwood flooring in our living & dining rooms
this spring.

I looked at a few of the laments, but, not too thrilled with what you get
for the money,
with the exception on "ease of installation".

I found some 1/2" soft maple for $2.20 a sq.ft. (surfaced 2 sides)

Would this be a sensible choice?

IMHO, no. Three years ago I got some really nice Muskoka 3 1/4"
prefinished, clear, hard maple flooring for $3.15/sqft using a 10% off
coupon at Home Depot. HD doesn't seem to carry this brand anymore, but
I'm sure a flooring store in your area will have something comparable.

Canadian sugar maple with a factory finish is going to be a lot
more durable than local soft maple with a DIY finish.

Ron

Pittsburgh

Where are you located?

Boden

Ron wrote:

I'm planning on installing hardwood flooring in our living & dining

rooms
this spring.

I looked at a few of the laments, but, not too thrilled with what you

get
for the money,
with the exception on "ease of installation".

I found some 1/2" soft maple for $2.20 a sq.ft. (surfaced 2 sides)

Would this be a sensible choice?
I'd think 1/2" would be thick enough, I've seen hw flooring as thin as

3/8"

I've also heard it stains well, any comments?

Figured I might be able to do more of the finish work myself and spend

the
savings
on tools to do the job...

ThankX
Ron

how to tell hard vs. soft maple harrisrd Woodworking 10 September 21st 03 06:25 PM
mapled out Mike in Mystic Woodworking 11 August 30th 03 09:21 PM
Is hard maple the hardest wood? P van Rijckevorsel Woodworking 2 July 20th 03 02:40 PM