Default Soft maple for flooring???

Ron wrote:
I'm planning on installing hardwood flooring in our living & dining rooms
this spring.

I looked at a few of the laments, but, not too thrilled with what you get
for the money,
with the exception on "ease of installation".

I found some 1/2" soft maple for $2.20 a sq.ft. (surfaced 2 sides)

Would this be a sensible choice?

IMHO, no. Three years ago I got some really nice Muskoka 3 1/4"
prefinished, clear, hard maple flooring for $3.15/sqft using a 10% off
coupon at Home Depot. HD doesn't seem to carry this brand anymore, but
I'm sure a flooring store in your area will have something comparable.

Canadian sugar maple with a factory finish is going to be a lot
more durable than local soft maple with a DIY finish.