Sligo

Default sateliite antenna

My HOA wants me to paint the 18"satellite antenna and coax to match the
residence color.
At times I think the HOA get intoxicated with their power.
Just a few years ago they denied these antennas. Can they make me paint it?
Thank you,
Seamus J.Wilson

Matt

I don't think so. I don't know if there is any truth in it, but my
installer told me that it's illegal for on HOA to deny anyone to put up
a dish. I that's true, then I would think that the HOA also cannot
force you to take any action which could harm the dish.
Make then show you in the by laws where it says you have to paint it.

Andrew Neilson

I once had a fight with a housing co-oeprative. They didn't like my kids
slide. They sent a letter to us demanding removal (though it had been
around for a couple of years with no issues). We told them to take a hike.
They then sent us a letter telling us to appear before the board and if we
didn't, that they would evict us. We got a lawyer to write a letter for us.
That scared them into backing off. They did send an eviction notice to a
friend of mine. He told them to wad it up real tight and shove it. He then
stopped paying rent, figuring that if he was evicted, then he didn't have to
pay, and he also wanted his day in court. That day came and he wound up
having to pay about 60% of the back rent owed and they were never able to
boot him out. He smiled all the way to the bank.

Tell the HOA to stick it. They are pretty much powerless to do anything
except whine at you.

"Matt" wrote in message
oups.com...
I don't think so. I don't know if there is any truth in it, but my
installer told me that it's illegal for on HOA to deny anyone to put up
a dish. I that's true, then I would think that the HOA also cannot
force you to take any action which could harm the dish.
Make then show you in the by laws where it says you have to paint it.

They are powerless except for the lien they can put on your property
for fines and late fees when you don't pay up. It doesn't become a
problem until you want to sell.

Charles Spitzer

"Andrew Neilson" wrote in message
[...]

this is really stupid advice. it all depends upon your hoa agreement that
you signed, and the laws of your state. in az, the house can be sold under a
sheriff's sale to repay the hoa for fees, lawyer's fees, interest, and
penalties.

get them to show you in your signed agreement where you have to paint it.

regards,
charlie
cave creek, az

"Matt" wrote in message
oups.com...
I don't think so. I don't know if there is any truth in it, but my
installer told me that it's illegal for on HOA to deny anyone to put up
a dish. I that's true, then I would think that the HOA also cannot
force you to take any action which could harm the dish.
Make then show you in the by laws where it says you have to paint it.

m Ransley

Read your contract before saying no. Will painting it be all that hard.
If others are painting their dishes then it isn`t worth the fight over
1 hrs work. You knew you were moving into this type of compliance before
you signed your individuality away.

Matt

Saying he signed away his individuality is a bit harsh, don't you think?

Mad Mac

Take advice on the type of paint - it can be done with the right stuff.
Having said that, I'd be up for the fight just on the principle .
Bria

My HOA wants me to paint the 18"satellite antenna and coax t=ADo match
the
residence color.

I am pretty sure this would degrade antenna.

It has a special type of paint, plus surface designed to reflect waves
the elliptic axes.

I would call DSS or Dish and ask if they would support such
application.
Esp if antenna & system is rental.
Take they answer and show middle finger to HOA.

Brian

m Ransley

It wont degrade the antenna, they are painted now, mine works covered
half in snow or fully in pouring rain. They were designed large for a
reason, if the dish was 80% smaller rain would probably effect it.

Percival P. Cassidy

You might have to pick the kind of paint carefully. I don't know to what
extent the thickness and composition of the existing paint (powdercoat?)
are part of the design.

Perce

On 01/28/05 01:14 pm Sligo tossed the following ingredients into the
ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

My HOA wants me to paint the 18"satellite antenna and coax to match the
residence color.
At times I think the HOA get intoxicated with their power.
Just a few years ago they denied these antennas. Can they make me paint it?

JerryMouse

Sligo wrote:
My HOA wants me to paint the 18"satellite antenna and coax to match
the residence color.
At times I think the HOA get intoxicated with their power.
Just a few years ago they denied these antennas. Can they make me
paint it? Thank you,
Seamus J.Wilson

Take the antenna down and place it where it can't be seen. The satellite is
22,000 miles away. By moving the dish from the roof to the ground, you add
about 20 feet.

If you think I jest, there are covers for satellite dishes that look like
large rocks so you can install the dish in a flower bed. But that's a last
resort. Before I did that, I'd have some fun. (Be sure to take lots of
pictures and keep a diary - this will make a fine human interest story for
your local newspaper.)

First, fabricate and attach large, metal, bright-orange "petals." Paint the
dish brown. Behold, a giant sunflower!

This will generate a flurry of letters!

Next, add eyes, etc., to the sunflower. Presto, a "Li'l Black Sambo" face.
Be sure to have lots of super-white teeth! Here's sorta what I mean:
http://www.sterlingtimes.co.uk/sambo.htm

More letters follow.

Okay, remove the petals. Paint a generic yellow happy face.

More letters.

Next, decal the face of Jesus, the raise the issue of Church-State
separation.

Let's see - what can we paint next? Does your homeowners associate allow the
flying of flags? (hint-hint).

At some point, you'll have to revert to the sunflower idea and place the
dish on a pole in your flowerbed. Add leaves to the pole. Who'll know?

colt Steele

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 11:52:49 -0500, "Percival P. Cassidy"
wrote:

You might have to pick the kind of paint carefully. I don't know to what
extent the thickness and composition of the existing paint (powdercoat?)
are part of the design.

Perce

On 01/28/05 01:14 pm Sligo tossed the following ingredients into the
ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

My HOA wants me to paint the 18"satellite antenna and coax to match the
residence color.
At times I think the HOA get intoxicated with their power.
Just a few years ago they denied these antennas. Can they make me paint it?

Read the Directv or Dish webiste FAQ!

CLearly says that you can paint the dish with a non refelctive paint.
Just don't paint the LNB lol

MUADIB®

Saying he signed away his individuality is a bit harsh, don't you think?

Matt, I have been reading and laughing at yuor posts all day
(Sunday 1-30-05) and have a feeling you're a pretty smart/intelligent
guy. I have read a lot of things both bad and good about HOA's and I
believe that it is very possible that the staement is pretty acurate
in some of them.
Individuality is a funny thing. They may all wnat the same thing in a
HOA, that's why they have no need for individuality. But when a
newcomer buys into the HOA community, they are often Stricken by some
rules that are not what they expected.............they expected
protection from folks running down the property values, say, and they
get a legal bill from hell instead, because they only mow once a week
or twice a month, and the HOA says your grass has to be kept at some
perfect length that requires more frequent mowing than the buyer had
in mind.........................See how simple it is?

Yeah, It's pretty much signing up to give up your individualism in
some of 'em. Nothing short of giving up homeowner rights in some
others too...................Very difficult stuff.

I figure you probably already know this stuff, but it's worth stating
anyway.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

http://www.angelfire.com/retro/sster...IN%20PAGE.html

one small step for man,.....
One giant leap for attorneys.
Norminn

Sligo wrote:
My HOA wants me to paint the 18"satellite antenna and coax to match the
residence color.
At times I think the HOA get intoxicated with their power.
Just a few years ago they denied these antennas. Can they make me paint it?
Thank you,
Seamus J.Wilson

Read your HOA documents/bylaws/rules. Yes, every group has a requisite
condo commando and they do get extreme. Best way to fight that is to
run for a board position and be reasonable and right. It isn't that
difficult to work for what benefits everyone, but takes wisdom. X-Files
had a really good, true-to-life, episode about HOA's a couple of years
ago. It was true - I swear )

Jim

On 29 Jan 2005 07:43:05 -0800, "Bria" wrote:

My HOA wants me to paint the 18"satellite antenna and coax t*o match

the
residence color.

I am pretty sure this would degrade antenna.

It has a special type of paint, plus surface designed to reflect waves
the elliptic axes.

I would call DSS or Dish and ask if they would support such
application.
Esp if antenna & system is rental.
Take they answer and show middle finger to HOA.

Brian

The FCC has a tight set of regs regarding what limits an HOA can
require on a dish. These rules trump local laws or an HOA's CC&R.

If your dish is entirely within a "limited common use" area reserved
for your exclusive use such as a patio or a balcony, the only rule
they can make is to prohibit you from drilling holes in the outside
wall. The dish must not prject outside of your exclusive use area in
this case.

If your dish cannot be situated entirely within an exclusive area of
your own, the HOA must make reasonable accomodation to allow you to
install it.

They *can* require you to paint it under those circumstances but only
if it will not interfere with signal reception. Check with your dish
suplier and get an answer in writing.

Federal law is very clear on this that an HOA has very restricted
rights about how they can regulate small (under 18" ) dishes.

An excellent Q&A is available on the FCC website at

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Jim P.

(President of an HOA but IANAL)
Jim

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 00:59:18 GMT, MUADIB®
wrote:

[...]

If you buy into a condo or other HOA and you don't take time before
you cimmit to read the rules, CC&R and some meeting minutes, you are
an idiot whod eserves a good "thwap".

I don't know of a single state where the laws don't support a
potential buyer being given reasonable access to all of the above
ahead of time. If a seller or HOA is being coy and doesn't want to
let you see them ahead of time, run away quickly something odd is
going on.

Jim P.