Richard

Default Escrow Account - Beware of Countrywide Home Loans

Countrywide loan officers are bad people

I financed my home with Countrywide back in 1990. For twelve years they took
care of the escrow account, paying all my local taxes and insurance. The
information was all well documented against my account number, assessable on
their web page.

Then I decided to refinance with them for a lower interest rate.

The moron who worked up my new finance package never looked at their own
computer to see what my escrow distributions were. Instead they "estimated"
all the amounts. Most of their guess work was short by 35%. Guess what
happen when they were tasked with paying the bills that showed up?

They never apologized for their shortfall. I was all my mistake for
assuming they knew what they were doing.

Don't believe Countrywide when they do your escrow estimate. Check the tax
offices on similar properties in the area.

Now I do my own escrow, paying my taxes plus earning a little interest on
the side.

Richard
Houston, Texas

Of course when you refinanced, you could see the escrow estimate. And
why would anyone have to check the tax office on similar properties on
a refinance? You already know what your own taxes are in a house
you've lived in for 15 years. It shouldn't be too hard to spot a
discrepancy in the monthly payment. I agree,it's partly their fault,
but it's yours too. And it's not like it's money that it cost you
either, it's only pay now or pay later.