Steve IA

Default New toilet won't complete flush

I installed a new toilet about a week ago and am having one problem. If
I push the lever and release, often the flapper closes before the tank
is empty not letting enough water into the bowl to complete the flush.
I've tried adjusting the chain and flush lever but can't get past this
problem. It seems to me that if the flapper would raise just a little
higher, it would work, but the lever only allows so much vertical
movement. All help appreciated. Thank you

Steve
41N
Joseph Meehan

It's working the way it is suppose to. It is a feature not a flaw.

Normal flush, just press and release. If you need the extra power
flush, you hold the handle down a few seconds.

Don't try to get past it, use it.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
"Steve IA" wrote in message
I installed a new toilet about a week ago and am having one problem. If
I push the lever and release, often the flapper closes before the tank
is empty not letting enough water into the bowl to complete the flush.
I've tried adjusting the chain and flush lever but can't get past this
problem. It seems to me that if the flapper would raise just a little
higher, it would work, but the lever only allows so much vertical
movement. All help appreciated. Thank you

Steve
41N

Mikepier

Try adjusting the water level a little higher in the tank.

Steve IA

Mikepier wrote:

Try adjusting the water level a little higher in the tank.

I've tried it at the recommended level and at the maximum level (+3/8")
with no significant change. thanks.

Steve
41N
Kevin Ricks

"Steve IA" wrote in message
I installed a new toilet about a week ago and am having one problem. If
I push the lever and release, often the flapper closes before the tank
is empty not letting enough water into the bowl to complete the flush.
I've tried adjusting the chain and flush lever but can't get past this
problem. It seems to me that if the flapper would raise just a little
higher, it would work, but the lever only allows so much vertical
movement. All help appreciated. Thank you

Had the same problem with a new tiolet kit.
Look and see if you have the ajustable type flapper. Some have an ajustment
whre you turn the flapper to set how fast the water drains out of the
flapper bubble.
Kevin

Steve
41N

willshak

On 1/22/2005 9:39 AM US(ET), Steve IA took fingers to keys, and typed
the following:

Mikepier wrote:

Try adjusting the water level a little higher in the tank.

I've tried it at the recommended level and at the maximum level (+3/8")
with no significant change. thanks.

Steve
41N

Is the handle rod hitting the top of the tank? Make sure that the chain
that operates the flapper is at the extreme end of the rod. When the
flapper is closed, make sure there is just enough slack in the chain to
allow the flapper to seal and it is not hanging down on the flapper.
Check to see that the handle assembly is tight in the tank hole and is
at the correct angle to allow the handle rod to reach its maximum height
without hitting the tank lid. Even with all that, the drop in pressure
when the water nears the bottom of the tank may not be enough to keep
the flapper open in the outrushing water (I may have invented the word
'outrushing').

--
Bill
Marilyn & Bob

"Kevin Ricks" wrote in message
om...

"Steve IA" wrote in message
I installed a new toilet about a week ago and am having one problem. If
I push the lever and release, often the flapper closes before the tank
is empty not letting enough water into the bowl to complete the flush.
I've tried adjusting the chain and flush lever but can't get past this
problem. It seems to me that if the flapper would raise just a little
higher, it would work, but the lever only allows so much vertical
movement. All help appreciated. Thank you

Fluidmaster makes a flapper assembly with a basket on the back. The basket
has small holes at the bottom. When you flush the weight of the water in
the basket holds the flapper up. When the water drains from the basket, the
flapper closer. You can slow the speed of the flapper closing by inserting
pegs into some of the holes to make the water drain out more slowly. It
costs around $5 and should solve your problem.
--
Peace,
BobJ

xrongor

first, check to see if more vertical movement would indeed help it. just
lift the flapper by the chain and see what happens. if its just a matter of
not getting enough lift, bend the rod attached to the lever down a bit and
shorten the chain. voila, more lift.

if its just closing too fast i think others have covered that territory.

randy

"Steve IA" wrote in message
I installed a new toilet about a week ago and am having one problem. If
I push the lever and release, often the flapper closes before the tank
is empty not letting enough water into the bowl to complete the flush.
I've tried adjusting the chain and flush lever but can't get past this
problem. It seems to me that if the flapper would raise just a little
higher, it would work, but the lever only allows so much vertical
movement. All help appreciated. Thank you

Steve
41N

Can you get an 'S' shaped Flush Pipe for toilet? DIY Novice UK diy 4 September 2nd 04 03:07 PM
Lazy toilet flush tflfb Home Repair 2 July 8th 04 01:53 AM
toilet makes other toilet flush Spitfire 1500 Home Repair 3 June 7th 04 03:28 AM
Power Flush toilet problems William Lee Home Repair 1 December 25th 03 11:23 PM
Toilet won't flush without holding down handle Bob Greene Home Repair 4 October 26th 03 11:42 PM