Default move a 240 volt outlet?

I need to extend a 240 volt outlet about 9 feet. Can I replace the
outlet with a junction box and run a 9 foot cable with a new outlet to
the new location. Or would I need to run the circuit straight from the
panel with no junction box?

If the latter is true, I'll probably have to hire someone to do it for
me

Noozer

wrote in message
oups.com...
I need to extend a 240 volt outlet about 9 feet. Can I replace the
outlet with a junction box and run a 9 foot cable with a new outlet to
the new location. Or would I need to run the circuit straight from the
panel with no junction box?

What else is on the circuit? If not overloaded you could just add another
240 outlet from the existing box.

You do have to wire it properly, using conduit or protecting the wiring,
etc.

SQLit

wrote in message
oups.com...
I need to extend a 240 volt outlet about 9 feet. Can I replace the
outlet with a junction box and run a 9 foot cable with a new outlet to
the new location. Or would I need to run the circuit straight from the
panel with no junction box?

If the latter is true, I'll probably have to hire someone to do it for
me

depends on the application your trying to serve.

As long as the junction box is accessible you might be able to do what you
describe. Cables must be protected from damage, unless your buying armored
cable. Some how I doubt that your getting 9 feet of armored cable. Best to
check locally

toller

What kind of 240v? Any that meet current code can be extended using the
junction box. 3wire dry lines cannot be extended because they do not meet
current code.

Chris Lewis

According to toller :
What kind of 240v? Any that meet current code can be extended using the
junction box. 3wire dry lines cannot be extended because they do not meet
current code.

By "3wire dry lines", I assume you mean "3wire clothes dryer circuits" (and by
extension "3wire stove circuits"). Otherwise, we'd think you were referring
to them in contrast with "wet lines" ;-)

You're right, because current code requires new work for stoves and dryers to
be 4wire.

But a "pure 240V" circuit (like a 240V baseboard heater) is _supposed_ to be 3
wire, and it's perfectly legal to extend. As long as you extend it legally ;-)
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est

The outlet is for a dryer. I have an eat-in kitchen and I want to move
the laundry to the pantry. So I would replace current outlet with a
junction box and add a new outlet at the end of the 9 foot extension.
It is on the first floor, so my plan is to put the junction box in the
basement and run the conduit through the floor joists.

I went to local huge depot and they told me they didn't have an ything
to extend a 240v circuit and I would have to call a pro. They also said
that I cannot simply extend the circuit, but would have to wire a new
one direct from the panel. No mention of a "4-wire" code for dryers.

Going to check eletrical supply house tomorrow and see what they have
to say

Alan

On 19 Jan 2005 21:06:44 -0800, "
wrote:

The outlet is for a dryer. I have an eat-in kitchen and I want to move
the laundry to the pantry. So I would replace current outlet with a
junction box and add a new outlet at the end of the 9 foot extension.
It is on the first floor, so my plan is to put the junction box in the
basement and run the conduit through the floor joists.

I did exactly what you are proposing with no problem whatsoever. Mine
was 4-wire to begin with.

I went to local huge depot and they told me they didn't have an ything
to extend a 240v circuit and I would have to call a pro. They also said
that I cannot simply extend the circuit, but would have to wire a new
one direct from the panel. No mention of a "4-wire" code for dryers.

What don't they have? Cable? clamps? boxes? You quite often find
employees in HD type of stores who have no knowledge of the department
in which you find them.

Going to check eletrical supply house tomorrow and see what they have
to say

Quite likely will get better advice there.

toller

wrote in message
oups.com...
The outlet is for a dryer. I have an eat-in kitchen and I want to move
the laundry to the pantry. So I would replace current outlet with a
junction box and add a new outlet at the end of the 9 foot extension.
It is on the first floor, so my plan is to put the junction box in the
basement and run the conduit through the floor joists.

I went to local huge depot and they told me they didn't have an ything
to extend a 240v circuit and I would have to call a pro. They also said
that I cannot simply extend the circuit, but would have to wire a new
one direct from the panel. No mention of a "4-wire" code for dryers.

Going to check eletrical supply house tomorrow and see what they have
to say

How many holes does your outlet have? 3 holes bad, 4 holes good. It
doesn't matter what the electrical supply house says.

Maybe what Huge Depot meant was that if you have to ask what you need to do
the job, you shouldn't be doing it. However that sounds way too responsible
for them; more likely the guy simply didn't know what you needed. (perhaps
because you didn't know what kind of outlet it was