toller

Default Ice maker is broken...

I have a Kenmore 106.515541004. It is the same as the Whirlpool ED5SHAXMT;
the one with ice in the door. It is now 3 years old.

Last April I went on vacation and turned the water off. When I turned it
back on, the ice maker didn't work. About a week later it started up again
and ran for a few weeks before it died. After a week it ran fine for 9
months. Now it is dead again.

Any advice? I don't use ice, but she does.

Ross Mac

"toller" wrote in message
I have a Kenmore 106.515541004. It is the same as the Whirlpool
ED5SHAXMT; the one with ice in the door. It is now 3 years old.

Last April I went on vacation and turned the water off. When I turned it
back on, the ice maker didn't work. About a week later it started up
again and ran for a few weeks before it died. After a week it ran fine
for 9 months. Now it is dead again.

Any advice? I don't use ice, but she does.

Ice makers aren't my specialty but you might have a stuck solenoid. Do have
anyway of telling if water is getting into the unit? Also, there should be a
switch to tell the icemaker it is full (so to speak) and it may be sticking
or flaky. You might excercise the switch and see if that helps.....good
luck,Ross

AZGuy

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 11:31:23 -0500, "Ross Mac"
wrote:

"toller" wrote in message
I have a Kenmore 106.515541004. It is the same as the Whirlpool
ED5SHAXMT; the one with ice in the door. It is now 3 years old.

Last April I went on vacation and turned the water off. When I turned it
back on, the ice maker didn't work. About a week later it started up
again and ran for a few weeks before it died. After a week it ran fine
for 9 months. Now it is dead again.

Any advice? I don't use ice, but she does.

Ice makers aren't my specialty but you might have a stuck solenoid. Do have
anyway of telling if water is getting into the unit? Also, there should be a
switch to tell the icemaker it is full (so to speak) and it may be sticking
or flaky. You might excercise the switch and see if that helps.....good
luck,Ross

It's also not uncommon for the water inside the nozzle that feeds the
ice tray to freeze. When that happens you can't make ice even though
everything else is working correctly.
--
Elbridge Gerry, of Massachusetts:

"What, sir, is the use of militia? It is to prevent the
establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty. . .
Whenever Government means to invade the rights and liberties of
the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order
to raise a standing army upon its ruins." -- Debate, U.S. House

of Representatives, August 17, 1789

That is a good point....does the OP have a way to measure the temperature of
the freezer compartment? It should be about zero degrees with the fridge
compartment about 38 degrees.....good luck, Ross

TURTLE

"toller" wrote in message
I have a Kenmore 106.515541004. It is the same as the Whirlpool ED5SHAXMT;
the one with ice in the door. It is now 3 years old.

Last April I went on vacation and turned the water off. When I turned it back
on, the ice maker didn't work. About a week later it started up again and ran
for a few weeks before it died. After a week it ran fine for 9 months. Now
it is dead again.

Any advice? I don't use ice, but she does.

This is Turtle.

I see this problem as you explained on some of the Whirlpool / half moon ice
makers / your type and it is useuly is cause by three things.

1) The temperatrure cycle switch that tell the ice maker the ice cups are
frozen and to call for a dump is sticking and staying open because of being
defective.

2) The Freezer compartment of the freezer is not getting below 12ºF which the
Temperature cycle switch will turn the ice maker on to work in the first place.
The TCS has dual purposes here to cut the ice maker off if you turn the box off
or if it is not cold enough to make ice in the freezer compartment.

3) You have a bad gear in the gears to roll the fingers to throw the ice out
and is hanging up. To see if it is this look at the fingers and see if they are
sticking out away from the wall at a 45º Angle and if so this is not the case.
If they are stuck down or anyother way than at a 45º angle it is a stuck gear.

The cure in either case is to just replace the ice maker and cellinoid coil &
valve. It is just too hard tring to repair these ice makers.

TURTLE

toller

When I went to have a look at it, I noticed the red light by the on-off
switch was blinking twice. Does this mean something? I didn't notice it
last year.

Thanks.