TURTLE

"toller" wrote in message
I have a Kenmore 106.515541004. It is the same as the Whirlpool ED5SHAXMT;
the one with ice in the door. It is now 3 years old.

Last April I went on vacation and turned the water off. When I turned it back
on, the ice maker didn't work. About a week later it started up again and ran
for a few weeks before it died. After a week it ran fine for 9 months. Now
it is dead again.

Any advice? I don't use ice, but she does.

This is Turtle.

I see this problem as you explained on some of the Whirlpool / half moon ice
makers / your type and it is useuly is cause by three things.

1) The temperatrure cycle switch that tell the ice maker the ice cups are
frozen and to call for a dump is sticking and staying open because of being
defective.

2) The Freezer compartment of the freezer is not getting below 12ºF which the
Temperature cycle switch will turn the ice maker on to work in the first place.
The TCS has dual purposes here to cut the ice maker off if you turn the box off
or if it is not cold enough to make ice in the freezer compartment.

3) You have a bad gear in the gears to roll the fingers to throw the ice out
and is hanging up. To see if it is this look at the fingers and see if they are
sticking out away from the wall at a 45º Angle and if so this is not the case.
If they are stuck down or anyother way than at a 45º angle it is a stuck gear.

The cure in either case is to just replace the ice maker and cellinoid coil &
valve. It is just too hard tring to repair these ice makers.

TURTLE