Bob

Default Floor tile material calc

Greetings...

I know 12x12 tiles is the nominal size. The actual may be 11 7/8". But there
is usually some width for grout between the tiles. With these two factors
combined, how does one figure out the number of tiles needed? For example, I
have a room of exactly 6' x 10'. 60 tiles enough?

Thanks.

LBaker

"Bob" wrote in message
Greetings...

I know 12x12 tiles is the nominal size. The actual may be 11 7/8". But

there
is usually some width for grout between the tiles. With these two factors
combined, how does one figure out the number of tiles needed? For example,

have a room of exactly 6' x 10'. 60 tiles enough?

Thanks.

What ya gonna do if any are broken or chipped in the box? How about down the
road if you need any for repairs? Square footage on the box is usually
includes the grout joint...

Colbyt

"Bob" wrote in message
Greetings...

I know 12x12 tiles is the nominal size. The actual may be 11 7/8". But

there
is usually some width for grout between the tiles. With these two factors
combined, how does one figure out the number of tiles needed? For example,

have a room of exactly 6' x 10'. 60 tiles enough?

Thanks.

As a general rule always buy 110% of the actual measurement to allow for
waste, a miscut, a defective tile, or future replacement. If I had a 6 x
10 room to do I would buy 70 square foot (usually 10 per box for ceramic)
and usually only sold by the box.

Colbyt

Charles Spitzer

"LBaker" wrote in message

"Bob" wrote in message
Greetings...

I know 12x12 tiles is the nominal size. The actual may be 11 7/8". But

there
is usually some width for grout between the tiles. With these two factors
combined, how does one figure out the number of tiles needed? For
example,

have a room of exactly 6' x 10'. 60 tiles enough?

Thanks.

What ya gonna do if any are broken or chipped in the box? How about down
the
road if you need any for repairs? Square footage on the box is usually
includes the grout joint...

or you drop a jar of pickles 17 years from now, crack a tile, and they don't
make those tiles anymore?

save the extras. the next guy to buy your house will thank you.

Bob

I know I need to keep a few extra in case repair is needed but I was asking
when I figure out the number of 12x12 tiles for certain square footage, is
it just one tile for each SF?

Bob

"LBaker" wrote in message

"Bob" wrote in message
Greetings...

I know 12x12 tiles is the nominal size. The actual may be 11 7/8". But

there
is usually some width for grout between the tiles. With these two

factors
combined, how does one figure out the number of tiles needed? For

example,
have a room of exactly 6' x 10'. 60 tiles enough?

Thanks.

What ya gonna do if any are broken or chipped in the box? How about down

the
road if you need any for repairs? Square footage on the box is usually
includes the grout joint...

LBaker

"Bob" wrote in message
I know I need to keep a few extra in case repair is needed but I was

asking
when I figure out the number of 12x12 tiles for certain square footage, is
it just one tile for each SF?

It depends on the actual size of the tile. If they mesure 11 5/8" plus a !/4
" grout joint you will lose 1/8 inch per foot. This may be ok if the base
will cover the tile joint that you would have at the wall. If the tile are
actually 12" you will gain a 1/4" and wind up cutting one wall in either
direction. You need to know the actual size of the tile in order to answer
this question. I've seen 12x12 tile actually measure from 113/8" to 12 1/4"
from manufacturer to manufacturer. If the tile is less than 11 3/4" you will
need 16 extra tile to do a proper job. Proper being no cuts less than a half
tile if possible...

Bob

"LBaker" wrote in message

"Bob" wrote in message
Greetings...

I know 12x12 tiles is the nominal size. The actual may be 11 7/8". But

there
is usually some width for grout between the tiles. With these two

factors
combined, how does one figure out the number of tiles needed? For

example,
have a room of exactly 6' x 10'. 60 tiles enough?

Thanks.

What ya gonna do if any are broken or chipped in the box? How about down

the
road if you need any for repairs? Square footage on the box is usually
includes the grout joint...

Bob

Probably I didn't make my original post clear enough. I do want keep a few
extra tiles but I wanted to find on top of what to add these few extra.
For the exactly 6' x 10', if 60 tiles is just enough to cover the floor,
like you said I will add one more box for miscut, spare etc etc. But if the
12x12 is just a nominoal size and the actual size is smaller as such I would
need 7 x 11 tiles to cover the floor then I would need to add more for spare
on top of 77.

I want to know the base quatitiy: 60 or 77 tiles.

Thank you

Bob

"Colbyt" wrote in message

"Bob" wrote in message
Greetings...

I know 12x12 tiles is the nominal size. The actual may be 11 7/8". But

there
is usually some width for grout between the tiles. With these two

factors
combined, how does one figure out the number of tiles needed? For

example,
have a room of exactly 6' x 10'. 60 tiles enough?

Thanks.

As a general rule always buy 110% of the actual measurement to allow for
waste, a miscut, a defective tile, or future replacement. If I had a 6 x
10 room to do I would buy 70 square foot (usually 10 per box for ceramic)
and usually only sold by the box.

Colbyt

LBaker

"Bob" wrote in message
Probably I didn't make my original post clear enough. I do want keep a few
extra tiles but I wanted to find on top of what to add these few extra.
For the exactly 6' x 10', if 60 tiles is just enough to cover the floor,
like you said I will add one more box for miscut, spare etc etc. But if

the
12x12 is just a nominoal size and the actual size is smaller as such I

would
need 7 x 11 tiles to cover the floor then I would need to add more for

spare
on top of 77.

I want to know the base quatitiy: 60 or 77 tiles.

Thank you

Bob

You need to know the actual size of the tile to answer that question
correctly. If the noninal size is 11 3/4 or more you can get away with 60.
You will have full tile all around. If they are smaller you will need 77 and
have to center the floor. In this case the cuts will be just a bit bigger
than a half tile. Be sure to check your room for square. If it is out of
square to any degree it would mess up the whole tile layout.

wayne

calculator here should give you an answer

http://www.daltileproducts.com/catalog.cfm?cat=2#

go to design tools and follow the instructions it will also tell you thinset
and grout estimates.

for odd tiles go here

http://www.diynot.com/pages/fs/fs022.php

Wayne

"LBaker" wrote in message

"Bob" wrote in message
[...]

Colbyt

Pardon the top posting (done for clarity).

I am not a tile expert but my experience is that most 12" tiles measure
11.75 min to 11.875 max. Refer to the box for the tile you are considering
in case there is a difference. The square footage represented on the box
includes grout joints on all the tile I have used. I like smaller grout
joints (1/4" max) so if you are buying one that is cheating with the 11.75"
measurement you may have big joints or a lot of waste. This might be a
problem with some of the imported stuff. To get the final answer you are
going to have to do your own homework. Take your tape and measure the tile
you are considering.

Then you have to factor in the squatness of the room involved. They never
are. You don't want silvers on the edges. You might waste some here also,
as much as a full tile times the length and/or width. Again you are going
to have to do your own homework. Hint: You can cut some paper squares the
size of your tile and 1/2 a grout joint on all sides and lay it out on the
floor before you buy.

Unless you are dealing with a special order, close out, or non returnable
product, just buy plenty and take the full boxes back after the install.
This will say you a lot of needless worry.

Colbyt

"Colbyt" wrote in message

"Bob" wrote in message
Greetings...

I know 12x12 tiles is the nominal size. The actual may be 11 7/8". But

there
is usually some width for grout between the tiles. With these two

factors
combined, how does one figure out the number of tiles needed? For

example,
have a room of exactly 6' x 10'. 60 tiles enough?

Thanks.

As a general rule always buy 110% of the actual measurement to allow for
waste, a miscut, a defective tile, or future replacement. If I had a 6

10 room to do I would buy 70 square foot (usually 10 per box for

ceramic)
and usually only sold by the box.

Colbyt

willshak

On 1/10/2005 7:22 PM US(ET), Bob took fingers to keys, and typed the
following:

Probably I didn't make my original post clear enough. I do want keep a few
extra tiles but I wanted to find on top of what to add these few extra.
For the exactly 6' x 10', if 60 tiles is just enough to cover the floor,
like you said I will add one more box for miscut, spare etc etc. But if the
12x12 is just a nominoal size and the actual size is smaller as such I would
need 7 x 11 tiles to cover the floor then I would need to add more for spare
on top of 77.

I want to know the base quatitiy: 60 or 77 tiles.

If you are going to butt the tiles edge to edge without allowing for at
least 1/8" grout, then you will need 68 tiles. 60 full sized plus 15
pieces to cover the gaps at the wall. You can get 15 pieces from 8 tiles.

Thank you

Bob

--
Bill
willshak

On 1/10/2005 7:22 PM US(ET), Bob took fingers to keys, and typed the
following:

Probably I didn't make my original post clear enough. I do want keep a few
extra tiles but I wanted to find on top of what to add these few extra.
For the exactly 6' x 10', if 60 tiles is just enough to cover the floor,
like you said I will add one more box for miscut, spare etc etc. But if the
12x12 is just a nominoal size and the actual size is smaller as such I would
need 7 x 11 tiles to cover the floor then I would need to add more for spare
on top of 77.

I want to know the base quatitiy: 60 or 77 tiles.

If you are going to butt the tiles edge to edge without allowing for at
least 1/8" grout, then you will need 68 tiles. 60 full sized plus 15
pieces to cover the gaps at the wall and one piece for the corner. You
can get 16 pieces from 8 tiles.

Thank you

Bob

"Colbyt" wrote in message

"Bob" wrote in message

Greetings...

I know 12x12 tiles is the nominal size. The actual may be 11 7/8". But

there

is usually some width for grout between the tiles. With these two

factors

combined, how does one figure out the number of tiles needed? For

example,

have a room of exactly 6' x 10'. 60 tiles enough?

Thanks.

As a general rule always buy 110% of the actual measurement to allow for
waste, a miscut, a defective tile, or future replacement. If I had a 6 x
10 room to do I would buy 70 square foot (usually 10 per box for ceramic)
and usually only sold by the box.

Colbyt

--
Bill
willshak

On 1/11/2005 7:54 AM US(ET), willshak took fingers to keys, and typed
the following:

[...]

15 pieces to cover the gaps at the wall and one piece for the corner.
You can get 16 pieces from 8 tiles.

Make that 69 tiles. 60 full + 16 pieces for the sides (2 from each of 8
tiles) and 1 extra tile to cut the 2 sided piece for the corner.
As far as I know, unless the tiles are a special order, you can return
unused tiles for a refund, but like others said, you may want to keep a
few spares..

Thank you

Bob