Jon Bergstrom

Default How far down can a trap be?

I am installing a new kitchen sink, and am curious if I can put the
trap in the basement directly wonder the sink, or if there is some
reason that it has to be in the cabinet under the sink? Is there a
maximum drop allowed from the sink to the trap, and if so why?
Thanks
Jon

Anything being cooked a second time needs a hot oven.
Speedy Jim

Jon Bergstrom wrote:

I am installing a new kitchen sink, and am curious if I can put the
trap in the basement directly wonder the sink, or if there is some
reason that it has to be in the cabinet under the sink? Is there a
maximum drop allowed from the sink to the trap, and if so why?
Thanks
Jon

The Codes are not universal on this, but 24" is a common spec.
The reasoning is that the un-trapped section may produce odors
from debris on the inner surface of the pipe.

If you *do* put the trap in the basement, give consideration
to how you will connect a vent to it.

Jim
Jon Bergstrom

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 21:36:08 -0500, Speedy Jim wrote:

Jon Bergstrom wrote:

I am installing a new kitchen sink, and am curious if I can put the
trap in the basement directly wonder the sink, or if there is some
reason that it has to be in the cabinet under the sink? Is there a
maximum drop allowed from the sink to the trap, and if so why?
Thanks
Jon

The Codes are not universal on this, but 24" is a common spec.
The reasoning is that the un-trapped section may produce odors
from debris on the inner surface of the pipe.

If you *do* put the trap in the basement, give consideration
to how you will connect a vent to it.

Jim

Thanks!

The vent already exists,I should have said replacing not installing
from scratch, I would only be extending the "tail Pipe" or what ever
its called to make more room for the inevitable junk that accumulates
under the sink. The odor issue makes sense, I will probably just slat
in another trap in the same place..
Jon

Anything being cooked a second time needs a hot oven.
Abe

I am installing a new kitchen sink, and am curious if I can put the
trap in the basement directly wonder the sink, or if there is some
reason that it has to be in the cabinet under the sink? Is there a
maximum drop allowed from the sink to the trap, and if so why?
Thanks
Jon

----------
The only limit I can think of comes from some common sense. The
distance from the top of the drain (starting right under the sink) to
the lowest point of the P trap must be at least 125% the distance from
the lowest point of the P trap to the waste outlet. (The 125% figure
is my guess).

This is so the water coming in has enough force to drive water and
debris through the drain.

Shower Trap Rob UK diy 4 January 11th 05 08:48 AM
Shower Trap Question JJ Home Repair 3 September 14th 04 05:06 PM
Bullet trap for homebuilt basement firing range? Mike Patterson Metalworking 21 August 4th 04 12:29 AM
connecting dishwasher and washing machine to kitchen sink trap the yorkshire dalesman UK diy 2 April 18th 04 10:26 AM
how to braze a rat trap? Philip Monmouth Metalworking 9 December 15th 03 04:29 AM