JJ

Default Shower Trap Question

My shower stall has a 2" pipe for the drain, running into a 2" trap, etc.
It's 2" all the way. Anyway, I need to shorten the straight piece running
into the trap. The trap was set in a little low to the ceiling below. I want
to be able to give it a little more room. What should be the minimum
distance from the shower drain to the trap below? I know gravity does the
work, but I want to make sure the drop is sufficient for the water to run.

Thanks,

John

Speedy Jim

JJ wrote:

My shower stall has a 2" pipe for the drain, running into a 2" trap,
etc. It's 2" all the way. Anyway, I need to shorten the straight
piece running into the trap. The trap was set in a little low to the
ceiling below. I want to be able to give it a little more room. What
should be the minimum distance from the shower drain to the trap
below? I know gravity does the work, but I want to make sure the drop
is sufficient for the water to run.

Thanks,

John

The "drop" can be anything you want.
What matters is that the horizontal pipe
from the trap have some pitch to it:
about 1/4" per foot will do it.
I don't see any problem with what you plan.

Jim
JJ

After looking at this thing a little more in depth:

I need to raise the trap about 1 1/2". If I shorten the straight piece by
about 1 1/2" then obviously it is not going to line up with the pipe going
to the sewer. Right now, the trap is perpendicular to the joist. So, there
is no room to add any type of fitting to get it to line up. So, my initial
though is to:

Turn the trap away from the joist enough to put two 45s in, they will have
about an 1 1/2" drop, and move horizontally enough to line up with the pipe.
Would this work, and avoid an S trap situation?

Thanks,

John

"JJ" wrote in message
My shower stall has a 2" pipe for the drain, running into a 2" trap, etc.
It's 2" all the way. Anyway, I need to shorten the straight piece running
into the trap. The trap was set in a little low to the ceiling below. I

want
to be able to give it a little more room. What should be the minimum
distance from the shower drain to the trap below? I know gravity does the
work, but I want to make sure the drop is sufficient for the water to run.

Thanks,

John

Speedy Jim

JJ wrote:

After looking at this thing a little more in depth:

I need to raise the trap about 1 1/2". If I shorten the straight
piece by about 1 1/2" then obviously it is not going to line up with
the pipe going to the sewer. Right now, the trap is perpendicular to
the joist. So, there is no room to add any type of fitting to get it
to line up. So, my initial though is to:

Turn the trap away from the joist enough to put two 45s in, they will
have about an 1 1/2" drop, and move horizontally enough to line up
with the pipe. Would this work, and avoid an S trap situation?

Thanks,

John

Technically, that may create a problem.
I'm assuming that the vent connection is further
downstream (sounds like).
The "trap weir" (the lower edge of the trap outlet)
must not be set higher than the vent connection
*inside* the TEE.

If the rule is not followed, there is possibility
of trap self-siphonage, although in a shower basin
it is probably unlikely.

GOOGLE: trap + weir + vent for more.

Jim