DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   How far down can a trap be? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/85369-how-far-down-can-trap.html)

Jon Bergstrom January 9th 05 02:18 AM

How far down can a trap be?

I am installing a new kitchen sink, and am curious if I can put the
trap in the basement directly wonder the sink, or if there is some
reason that it has to be in the cabinet under the sink? Is there a
maximum drop allowed from the sink to the trap, and if so why?
Thanks
Jon

Anything being cooked a second time needs a hot oven.

Speedy Jim January 9th 05 02:36 AM

Jon Bergstrom wrote:

I am installing a new kitchen sink, and am curious if I can put the
trap in the basement directly wonder the sink, or if there is some
reason that it has to be in the cabinet under the sink? Is there a
maximum drop allowed from the sink to the trap, and if so why?
Thanks
Jon

The Codes are not universal on this, but 24" is a common spec.
The reasoning is that the un-trapped section may produce odors
from debris on the inner surface of the pipe.

If you *do* put the trap in the basement, give consideration
to how you will connect a vent to it.

Jim

Jon Bergstrom January 9th 05 05:07 AM

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 21:36:08 -0500, Speedy Jim wrote:

Jon Bergstrom wrote:

I am installing a new kitchen sink, and am curious if I can put the
trap in the basement directly wonder the sink, or if there is some
reason that it has to be in the cabinet under the sink? Is there a
maximum drop allowed from the sink to the trap, and if so why?
Thanks
Jon

The Codes are not universal on this, but 24" is a common spec.
The reasoning is that the un-trapped section may produce odors
from debris on the inner surface of the pipe.

If you *do* put the trap in the basement, give consideration
to how you will connect a vent to it.

Jim

Thanks!

The vent already exists,I should have said replacing not installing
from scratch, I would only be extending the "tail Pipe" or what ever
its called to make more room for the inevitable junk that accumulates
under the sink. The odor issue makes sense, I will probably just slat
in another trap in the same place..

Abe January 9th 05 08:38 AM

I am installing a new kitchen sink, and am curious if I can put the
trap in the basement directly wonder the sink, or if there is some
reason that it has to be in the cabinet under the sink? Is there a
maximum drop allowed from the sink to the trap, and if so why?
Thanks
Jon

The only limit I can think of comes from some common sense. The
distance from the top of the drain (starting right under the sink) to
the lowest point of the P trap must be at least 125% the distance from
the lowest point of the P trap to the waste outlet. (The 125% figure
is my guess).

This is so the water coming in has enough force to drive water and
debris through the drain.