Abe

I am installing a new kitchen sink, and am curious if I can put the
trap in the basement directly wonder the sink, or if there is some
reason that it has to be in the cabinet under the sink? Is there a
maximum drop allowed from the sink to the trap, and if so why?
Thanks
Jon

The only limit I can think of comes from some common sense. The
distance from the top of the drain (starting right under the sink) to
the lowest point of the P trap must be at least 125% the distance from
the lowest point of the P trap to the waste outlet. (The 125% figure
is my guess).

This is so the water coming in has enough force to drive water and
debris through the drain.