h2

Default Fried Controls?

Hi group,
Our house had a power failure, local pole struck by lighting or
something. after power was restored most electronics in the house
came back on, tv's, refrigerator, clocks &ct. our cable boxes appear
to be shot but more importantly, our over the range microwave
(Whirlpool) and stove (Kenmore #66575029) seem to have problems.

the microwave won't come on at all and the Kenmore appears to have
lost power to the section controlling the oven. the electronic top
burners will light, but no readout on the back panel (no clock, none
of the touchpad controls function) and we can't light the oven. I
suspect some type of power supply to the oven control boards.

any ideas/info appreciated
pax
h2
pax,
h2
Joseph Meehan

h2 wrote:
Hi group,
Our house had a power failure, local pole struck by lighting or
something. after power was restored most electronics in the house
came back on, tv's, refrigerator, clocks &ct. our cable boxes appear
to be shot but more importantly, our over the range microwave
(Whirlpool) and stove (Kenmore #66575029) seem to have problems.

the microwave won't come on at all and the Kenmore appears to have
lost power to the section controlling the oven. the electronic top
burners will light, but no readout on the back panel (no clock, none
of the touchpad controls function) and we can't light the oven. I
suspect some type of power supply to the oven control boards.

any ideas/info appreciated
pax
h2
pax,
h2

It sounds like you get really fried by a power surge.

You may want to start by contacting your insurance company or at least
read your policy to see if you may be covered.

Each of the items you listed are likely to require repair or
replacement.

I suggest you consider getting whole house surge protection and then
some point source protection for the more expensive and sensitive items.

I have had only one power surge damage and I do have whole house
protection and some point source protection. The one item I had damaged was
my A/C unit that was just a few feet away from the spot on the ground where
the lightning hit. That was very close to my home. I consider myself lucky
and the repair was very cheap, it damaged a small circuit board that was not
really needed.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Joseph Meehan

Travis Jordan wrote:
Joseph Meehan wrote:
I have had only one power surge damage and I do have whole house
protection and some point source protection. The one item I had
damaged was my A/C unit that was just a few feet away from the spot
on the ground where the lightning hit. That was very close to my
home. I consider myself lucky and the repair was very cheap, it
damaged a small circuit board that was not really needed.

If the small circuit board wasn't needed, why did you have it
repaired?

It was wired around. It was the delay circuit to keep the compressor
from restarting after a short interrupt. My thermostat also does the same
thing so it was not needed. However the way it was damaged, it locked out
the compressor all the time.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

JustCallMe Norman

'Hi group,
Our house had a power failure, local pole struck by lighting or
something. after power was restored most electronics in the house came
back on, tv's, refrigerator, clocks &ct. our cable boxes appear to be
shot but more importantly, our over the range microwave (Whirlpool) and
stove (Kenmore #66575029) seem to have problems.
the microwave won't come on at all and the Kenmore appears to have lost
power to the section controlling the oven. the electronic top burners
will light, but no readout on the back panel (no clock, none of the
touchpad controls function) and we can't light the oven. I suspect some
type of power supply to the oven control boards.
any ideas/info appreciated
pax'

ME: Id get a surge protector mounted on your Main Electrical Panel for
future adversitys. Whatever got scrambled in your home, the Electric
Utility wont be responsible for .

Travis Jordan

Joseph Meehan wrote:
Travis Jordan wrote:
Joseph Meehan wrote:
I have had only one power surge damage and I do have whole house
protection and some point source protection. The one item I had
damaged was my A/C unit that was just a few feet away from the
spot on the ground where the lightning hit. That was very close
to my home. I consider myself lucky and the repair was very
cheap, it damaged a small circuit board that was not really
needed.

If the small circuit board wasn't needed, why did you have it
repaired?

It was wired around. It was the delay circuit to keep the
compressor from restarting after a short interrupt. My thermostat
also does the same thing so it was not needed. However the way it
was damaged, it locked out the compressor all the time.

Thanks for the info, Joseph...I've got one of those on my old Carrier
'round' too.

Stormin Mormon

Most modern consumers would consider the cable boxes much more important
than the range or microwave. Are you daft, man?

--

Christopher A. Young
This space intentionally left blank

"h2" wrote in message
Hi group,
Our house had a power failure, local pole struck by lighting or
something. after power was restored most electronics in the house
came back on, tv's, refrigerator, clocks &ct. our cable boxes appear
to be shot but more importantly, our over the range microwave
(Whirlpool) and stove (Kenmore #66575029) seem to have problems.

the microwave won't come on at all and the Kenmore appears to have
lost power to the section controlling the oven. the electronic top
burners will light, but no readout on the back panel (no clock, none
of the touchpad controls function) and we can't light the oven. I
suspect some type of power supply to the oven control boards.

any ideas/info appreciated
pax
h2
pax,
h2

Joseph Meehan

Travis Jordan wrote:
Joseph Meehan wrote:

It was wired around. It was the delay circuit to keep the
compressor from restarting after a short interrupt. My thermostat
also does the same thing so it was not needed. However the way it
was damaged, it locked out the compressor all the time.

Thanks for the info, Joseph...I've got one of those on my old Carrier
'round' too.

Mine is a Carrier as well, about 11 years old now and I am expecting to
need replacement the next time it has a problem. I'll take that opportunity
to upgrade a few things.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Travis Jordan

Joseph Meehan wrote:
Travis Jordan wrote:
Joseph Meehan wrote:

It was wired around. It was the delay circuit to keep the
compressor from restarting after a short interrupt. My thermostat
also does the same thing so it was not needed. However the way it
was damaged, it locked out the compressor all the time.

Thanks for the info, Joseph...I've got one of those on my old
Carrier 'round' too.

Mine is a Carrier as well, about 11 years old now and I am
expecting to need replacement the next time it has a problem. I'll
take that opportunity to upgrade a few things.

I replaced one of my two 18 year old Carrier HPs with a Trane XR12 and VS
air handler, and I'm very pleased with the results. The 2.5T XR12 scroll
condenser is sure a lot quieter than the old recip system. I measured power
consumption of the (supposedly 8.0 SEER) Carrier at 3624 watts and the new
(13.0 SEER ARI rated) Trane at 2160 watts. These numbers include the air
hander power usage.

h2

hi group, thanx for the replies, anyone have any suggestions as to the
parts of the oven control that would probably be damaged (Kenmore
stove #66575029)? by the way, that whole house surge protection
sounds like a great idea

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 11:33:14 GMT, "Joseph Meehan" wrote:

[...]

Travis Jordan

h2 wrote:
hi group, thanx for the replies, anyone have any suggestions as to the
parts of the oven control that would probably be damaged (Kenmore
stove #66575029)?

This part?
http://www.repairclinic.com/0081.asp?RccPartID=922705

Warren Weber

"h2" wrote in message
Hi group,
Our house had a power failure, local pole struck by lighting or
something. after power was restored most electronics in the house
came back on, tv's, refrigerator, clocks &ct. our cable boxes appear
to be shot but more importantly, our over the range microwave
(Whirlpool) and stove (Kenmore #66575029) seem to have problems.

the microwave won't come on at all and the Kenmore appears to have
lost power to the section controlling the oven. the electronic top
burners will light, but no readout on the back panel (no clock, none
of the touchpad controls function) and we can't light the oven. I
suspect some type of power supply to the oven control boards.

any ideas/info appreciated
pax
h2
pax,
h2

Check with your home insurance. We had a lightning strike that wiped out 2
computers. Insurance covered repairs (less deductable) W W