Pat

Default Gas LP Water Heater

SQLit

"Pat" wrote in message ...
Noticed this morning there is a little water under the water heater.
Also heard water running outside. Seems hot water running out the
overflow pipe on the outside of the house.

Turned off the water heater and the main faucet outside. the water
stopped running outside. With the heater off turned on main water, water
now runs out of overflow outside. Why?

I assume I need a new water heater. Called around to plumbing places
around here. They want $695 for a 40 gal LP WH and $150 to install.

HD and Lowes want $288 + tax for a 40 gal water heater. Lowes said it
was a Whirlpool didn't ask HD probably the same. My gas co. says if I
buy one from some place else, they will install for $150. My gas company
wants $595 for a 40 gal water heater plus $150 installation.

The WH I have now is a 30 gal Hedges installed by gas co. 12 years ago.

My question is does anyone know about Whirlpool WH. Hard water here in
Fla. 1 person house not a lot of hot water used.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Pat.

Stop right there. Change out the temperature and pressure valve first. Then move up to the new water heater if required. Since you have it off now would be a good time to flush it out.

Pat

willshak

On 1/5/2005 8:08 PM US(ET), Pat took fingers to keys, and typed the
following:

Hard to flush it out and drain the WH , it is in an inside utility room.
I have never done that . And don't know how to flush it.

http://www.chilipepperapp.com/flush.htm

When I turned the main water on outside with the water heater off the
overflow still drips water. It doesn't run out but constantly drips.

If the WH wasn't on the way out would iI have a small amount of water
under the water heater .

Pat

Bill
TURTLE

"Pat" wrote in message ...
Hard to flush it out and drain the WH , it is in an inside utility room.
I have never done that . And don't know how to flush it.

When I turned the main water on outside with the water heater off the
overflow still drips water. It doesn't run out but constantly drips.

If the WH wasn't on the way out would iI have a small amount of water
under the water heater .

Pat

This is Turtle.

You could have anything else wrong but the water could just coming from the Pressure / Temperature safety high leaking and leaking before it gets outside. Now SQLit just told you about saving a new hot water tank being installed but if you want a new one. Buy you one real quick for they may stop selling them anyday now.

Change the Pressure / Temperature Safety valve on the tank [ Home Cheap-0 $6.99 ] and you will probley not need a new hot water heater.

TURTLE

Pat

Bubba

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 01:44:48 -0500, (Pat) wrote:

Turtle:

I think hot water heaters will be around a long time. I am not in a
hurry to spend $900 for a new water heater and installation.

Maybe a GI bath for a day or two until i can find an honest plumber.

If I need a new one, is the one that HD sells the Whirlpool for $288 is
that a decent WH. I don't want crap either. The price I got from
plumbers to replace of $695 + $150 for installation + tax, I thought was
outrageous. I know prices have risen, but quality in products have gone
down. Isn't that quite high or am I wrong.

Pat

If all the plumbers seem to be around the same price, how do you think
thats high? You think they all called each other and did their own
price fixing? Labor is high everywhere anymore. It costs a small
fortune to keep a business afloat. If you want it done without your
intervention, that is a luxury and you pay someone to do it. If you
want a hack job done by Home Cheapo that hires the cheapest hack subs
out there, then call them and get what you think you arent paying for.
Would you have your local food mart prepare a formal sit down
Christmas dinner for you and 30 guests or would you hire a caterer?
I personally installed a "Lowes Best" water heater in my own home in
99 (Im a professional). It was Sunday and I couldnt get the warehouse
of the company I was working for to open up, Thus the Lowes purchase.
The water heater sucked. It would not heat water worth a crap. You are
forced to call the 800 number and deal with a woman that spoke broken
English. She was useless. Over the next few weeks they sent me a new
burner and gas valve. Same problem. They offered no more help and
would not take it back. Before the year was up, I yanked it, set it
out for garbage and installed a professional model, same 50 gallons.
Its worked fine till this day. I'll never buy another water heater
from the Home Cheap style stores.
Bubba
Pat

Bob S.

Bubba wrote:

[...]

Hey Bubba, I got some questions for ya.
1. What's the difference between the "cheapo" and the "professional"
WH? Is it materials, workmanship, personal opinion, or just not coming
from a home store?
2. I understand that commercial gas WH's are using sched 40 PVC for the
exhaust stacks because the exhaust is cool. How can this be?

TURTLE

"Pat" wrote in message ...
Turtle:

I think hot water heaters will be around a long time. I am not in a
hurry to spend $900 for a new water heater and installation.

Maybe a GI bath for a day or two until i can find an honest plumber.

If I need a new one, is the one that HD sells the Whirlpool for $288 is
that a decent WH. I don't want crap either. The price I got from
plumbers to replace of $695 + $150 for installation + tax, I thought was
outrageous. I know prices have risen, but quality in products have gone
down. Isn't that quite high or am I wrong.

Pat

This is Turtle.

I could not say what high was at all for you have different parts of the country with a wide range of pay scales which it is just hard saying what norm is. The $150.00 to install it is in my words pretty cheap price and would say well worth him doing it for that. I live in a low cost of living area and the norm here is $200.00 + Tank and material. Now you buy your tank where you want and you go get it and sit it there and the Plumber here will put it in there. They don't care if you come back with a Yugo or a Roll Royce but it's still $200.00.

Now to the Whirlpool water heater or others. I have this ideal in my head now that all water heaters are border line trash and no matter what you write on the side of it. I will expect about every 10 to 15 years out of it and go get me another one like I would buying a washing machine and drier. The old ideal of buying a car to last 30 years went out the window with hot water tanks with it.

So Buy the cheapest thing that will fit in there and be happy if it last 15 years and cuss it if it don't and just replace. This sound very simple mined but it has come now days that long haul items now are become short haul items and treat them as so for the hot water tank has become a short haul item.

TURTLE

Bubba

On 6 Jan 2005 20:01:02 -0800, "Bob S." wrote:

Bubba wrote:

[...]

1) Yes, Yes and yes. I went the "cheapo" route with one from Lowes.
Best they had and it turned out to be a POS. No support worth a darn
and they didnt want it back or a refund. That wont happen again.
2) Residential too. They are called "Power Vernted" water heaters.
Basemement air is drawn into the pvc through the inducer motor
diluting the warm gases.
Bubba
oreo123

We manage rental properties. We get an average of 6 to 7 years out of the glass lined gas and electric water heaters. No, the sacrificial rods are never changed. And we have had various brands in these units with prices from 150 to 400 dollars.

In every place that has a hot water boiler we have been converting to stainless indirect water heaters. I am impressed with their lasting time (have 2 of em now around 12 years old). And of course the boiler cycles in the summertime. While its true indirects are around 700 with trim in comparison to 2 or 300 it really seems worthwhile to have them last longer.

We are running a 4 fam with 8 adults on a single 40 gallon indirect. Yes its on a big boiler (Burnham 209) with priority. We can run at least 2 showers constantly.

Then too - who knows what is really in the water in this the Boston area.

I would like to know how long those instant direct vent water heaters will last. Anyone have any guesses??

Oreo
"TURTLE" wrote in message ...

"Pat" wrote in message ...
[...]

Bob S.

2. I understand that commercial gas WH's are using sched 40 PVC for

the
exhaust stacks because the exhaust is cool. How can this be?

2) Residential too. They are called "Power Vernted" water heaters.
Basemement air is drawn into the pvc through the inducer motor
diluting the warm gases.
Bubba

What's the advantage of a power vented wh?
I see a lot of disadvantages over "standard" ones, like higher cost,
more components to fail, less heating via center exhaust, motor and air
noise, etc. Also, I thought PVC deteriorated in sunlight so what's the
vent above the roof going to do?
Bob S.

Ed Clarke

In article .com, Bob S. wrote:

2. I understand that commercial gas WH's are using sched 40 PVC for

the
exhaust stacks because the exhaust is cool. How can this be?

2) Residential too. They are called "Power Vernted" water heaters.
Basemement air is drawn into the pvc through the inducer motor
diluting the warm gases.
Bubba

What's the advantage of a power vented wh?
I see a lot of disadvantages over "standard" ones, like higher cost,
more components to fail, less heating via center exhaust, motor and air
noise, etc. Also, I thought PVC deteriorated in sunlight so what's the
vent above the roof going to do?
Bob S.

Mine doesn't go out through the roof; it goes out the side of the house
with a 45 angle and a screen to keep out the bugs. Sticks out about two
inches from the wall. Because it's forced venting, you don't need a chimney.
It's also much more efficient; more hot water for less propane and money.

Disadvantages - needs electricity to run. Have to power the water heater
as well as the well pump in a power failure.

--
"De inimico non loquaris sed cogites."
Bubba

On 7 Jan 2005 20:59:39 -0800, "Bob S." wrote:

2. I understand that commercial gas WH's are using sched 40 PVC for

the
exhaust stacks because the exhaust is cool. How can this be?

2) Residential too. They are called "Power Vernted" water heaters.
Basemement air is drawn into the pvc through the inducer motor
diluting the warm gases.
Bubba

What's the advantage of a power vented wh?
I see a lot of disadvantages over "standard" ones, like higher cost,
more components to fail, less heating via center exhaust, motor and air
noise, etc. Also, I thought PVC deteoriated in sunlight so what's the
vent above the roof going to do?
Bob S.

Advantage? No real advantage. Power vented water heaters don't require
a chimney. Lots of new homes don't have brick chimneys for flues. Some
don't even have a "B-vent" chimney. So, you either use an electric
water heater or a power vented model that vents outside with PVC pipe.
They also cost more when you have to replace them versus a standard
water heater. They also use electricity for the venter motor and
ignition controls versus a standard water heater.
PVC can deteoriate over time in the sunlight but its going to take
quite some time with schedule 40. I see the heat from a malfunctioning
water heater cause more damage to the pvc than anything else.
Bubba

Water heater leak? Jim Z Home Repair 1 July 18th 04 01:57 PM
Power cost of idle electric water heater Phil Sherrod Home Repair 57 April 2nd 04 10:51 PM
Power cost of idle electric water heater Phil Sherrod Home Ownership 50 April 2nd 04 04:55 PM
need hot water FAST PV Home Repair 38 January 30th 04 01:15 AM