Bob Kaplow

Default Furnace blower won't stop running

This weekend I realized my furnace fan was running non-stop. My first
thought was that we'd left the blower switch on, as we frequently do to keep
air circulating in the house. But the blower switch was off, and even
turning the HEAT/AC switch to OFF still left the blower running.

Is my thermostat finally toast? Is there a relay somewhere on the furnace
that controls the blower that might be stuck? Or is it the electronic
furnace control module? Or something else. How do I tell what is bad?

The thermostat is a programmable White 5/2 day 4 setting electronic.

The furnace is a Heil/Tempstar 100K BTU upright condensation furnace, about
15 years old. This fall the blower was replaced after it died.

NOTE: I would recommend everyone *** AVOID *** Heil Tempstar like the
plague. The stainless steel heat exchanger rusted out prematurely, about 3-5
years IIRC. It was repaired by a local service person, but he told me there
had been a safety recall on this unit. No notice was ever sent out in spite
of having "registered" the warranty. When I contacted the manufacturer, they
confirmed the recall, but wouldn't pay for the repairs. They had a "secret"
recall that had "expired" before mine finally failed. It seems they would
rather kill their unsuspecting customers than have to pay for warranty
repairs. There have been at least 2 other design defect failures that I've
ahd to eat since then. This is *** NOT *** a company you want to do business
with.

Bob Kaplow NAR # 18L TRA # "Impeach the TRA BoD"
To reply, remove the TRABoD!

Kaplow Klips & Baffle: http://nira-rocketry.org/LeadingEdge/Phantom4000.pdf
www.encompasserve.org/~kaplow_r/ www.nira-rocketry.org www.nar.org

People who exercise their embryonic freedom day after day,
little by little, expand that freedom. People who do not will
find that it withers until they are literally "being lived."
They are acting out scripts written by parents, associates, and
society. --Stephen R. Covey
HeatMan

Since we can't accurately diagnosis it over an internet connection, I'd
suggest getting a licensed, insured technician out there to look at it.

Betcha it's a limit....

"Bob Kaplow" wrote in message
[...]

Bubba

On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 10:44:57 -0500, "HeatMan"
wrote:

Since we can't accurately diagnosis it over an internet connection, I'd
suggest getting a licensed, insured technician out there to look at it.

Betcha it's a limit....

"My 24 volts. Who stole them....?"
Bubba

"Bob Kaplow" wrote in message
[...]

TURTLE

"Bob Kaplow" wrote in message
[...]

This is Turtle.

Bob , You just said to not buy any of these brands of hvac equipment for all are
the same company now.

Carrier
Bryant
Hiel
Whirlpool
Tempstar
Arco Aire
and a host of other brand names

With this you can only buy 5 other brands out there Trane, Lennox, Goodman,
Rheem, and York. Now the other may do better on this application.

On your problem. I can't see it from here but it sounds like a Fan relay in the
relay board stuck. You can hit it with a hammer to see.

TURTLE

Bob Kaplow

In article , "TURTLE" writes:
Bob , You just said to not buy any of these brands of hvac equipment for all are
the same company now.

Carrier
Bryant
Hiel
Whirlpool
Tempstar
Arco Aire
and a host of other brand names

Well, unless I get a response from Heil/Tempstar, that is what I intend to
do. I certainly don't reward companies who don't stand behind their products
with repeat business.

With this you can only buy 5 other brands out there Trane, Lennox, Goodman,
Rheem, and York. Now the other may do better on this application.

That looks like a sufficient list to pick from. Lennox was probably at the
top of my list already. I've had zero problems with their central AC unit in
the same 15 years.

On your problem. I can't see it from here but it sounds like a Fan relay in the
relay board stuck. You can hit it with a hammer to see.

I'll give that a try.

Bob Kaplow NAR # 18L TRA # "Impeach the TRA BoD"
To reply, remove the TRABoD!

Kaplow Klips & Baffle: http://nira-rocketry.org/LeadingEdge/Phantom4000.pdf
www.encompasserve.org/~kaplow_r/ www.nira-rocketry.org www.nar.org

Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the boisterous sea of
liberty. -- Thomas Jefferson

TURTLE

"Bob Kaplow" wrote in message
In article , "TURTLE"
writes:
[...]

Bob , Awwwww Lennox is not on my list of HIGH quality stuff but if installed
correctly. It will be good but it will not cover the trouble that comes with a
poor installation. If you can try to pick from the other brands in your area
maybe. Now if the installer is a real good one it would tend to be OK stuff.

Just a Light warning here.

TURTLE