Dorot29701

Default Washing Machine Shopping

This may not be the proper board to post this. I am pretty sure it would be
more economical to buy new rather than try to repair my washer. I am looking
at washers by Maytag and Whirlpool in $300-$400 range. Does anyone here work
on them? Which ones last longer. I expect to live in this house about two or
three years - and it's customary to leave appliances with house so I don't want
to invest a lot of money.

Appreciate any pointers. Thanks.
Edwin Pawlowski

"Dorot29701" wrote in message
This may not be the proper board to post this. I am pretty sure it would
be
more economical to buy new rather than try to repair my washer. I am
looking
at washers by Maytag and Whirlpool in $300-$400 range. Does anyone here
work
on them? Which ones last longer. I expect to live in this house about
two or
three years - and it's customary to leave appliances with house so I don't
want
to invest a lot of money.

Appreciate any pointers. Thanks.

Most any brand should give you three trouble-free years. Any brand can give
you a lemon also. Look for capacity and features you want. Maytag and some
of the higher priced brands can give 15, 20, or more years of good service.

Roger Shoaf

"Dorot29701" wrote in message
This may not be the proper board to post this. I am pretty sure it would

be
more economical to buy new rather than try to repair my washer. I am

looking
at washers by Maytag and Whirlpool in $300-$400 range. Does anyone here

work
on them? Which ones last longer. I expect to live in this house about

two or
three years - and it's customary to leave appliances with house so I don't

want
to invest a lot of money.

Appreciate any pointers. Thanks.

First thing I would do is figure out what is wrong with your washing machine
now. In my experience most problems with them are minor, and they can be
fixed for a few bucks in parts.

Plan B is to buy a used one in good shape out of the paper. They seem to
run around $100.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Steven Fleckenstein

The last Whirlpool washer we had was purchased in 1982.
It wore out and started to rust out under the hood.
We replaced it with another Whirlpool in 2000.
No problems.
Grandma has had lots of problems with her Maytags.
I think part of the problem is that it is in a real cellar and has to pump
upwards to the sewer pipe.

Steve
effi

"Dorot29701" wrote in message
This may not be the proper board to post this. I am pretty sure it would
be
more economical to buy new rather than try to repair my washer. I am
looking
at washers by Maytag and Whirlpool in $300-$400 range. Does anyone here
work
on them?

no, maytags never need working on (according to their commercials ha)

have 3 maytag appliances, 12 years old, flawless so far

Which ones last longer. I expect to live in this house about two or
three years - and it's customary to leave appliances with house so I don't
want
to invest a lot of money.

Appreciate any pointers. Thanks.

Art

My direct drive Whirlpool lost its transmission in 5 years with only 2
people in the house using it. They have an under water seal..... seems
pretty dumb to me.

"GTO69RA4" wrote in message
This may not be the proper board to post this. I am pretty sure it would
be
more economical to buy new rather than try to repair my washer. I am
looking
at washers by Maytag and Whirlpool in $300-$400 range. Does anyone here
work
on them? Which ones last longer. I expect to live in this house about
two
or
three years - and it's customary to leave appliances with house so I don't
want
to invest a lot of money.

Appreciate any pointers. Thanks.

I'd find out what's wrong with your old first, unless you know it's really
not
worth it.

The Whirlpool direct drive washers are probably the current best bet for
low-end reliability. I gather the newer plastic-gear Maytags aren't
terrible,
but not in line with the company's old repuation. Avoid GE.

Really consider a used washing machine in good shape. The two-belt
A/LA/LAT
Maytags and belt drive Whirlpools are extremely reliable and very easy to
work
on. Good parts support, etc. I've seen newish ones in the $50-150 range,
and I
paid $40 for a perfect Maytag recently. It's 20 years old and I expect it
will
be going witth minor service for another 10 years from the condition. A
neighbor's Whirlpool hit around 35 last year.

GTO(John)

Dr. Hardcrab

"Dorot29701" wrote in message
This may not be the proper board to post this. I am pretty sure it would
be
more economical to buy new rather than try to repair my washer. I am
looking
at washers by Maytag and Whirlpool in $300-$400 range. Does anyone here
work
on them? Which ones last longer. I expect to live in this house about
two or
three years - and it's customary to leave appliances with house so I don't
want
to invest a lot of money.

If you were in my neck of the woods, I'd sell you MY used ones. They are
Kenmore and about 10 years old. Few scratches here and there, but they both
work fine. We bought the Whirlpool Duet and have no need for the old ones.

$100 each or $175 if you take both. All the hoses, drain, and power cords
included.......

Dennis Turner

Dorot29701 wrote:

This may not be the proper board to post this. I am pretty sure it would be
more economical to buy new rather than try to repair my washer. I am looking
at washers by Maytag and Whirlpool in $300-$400 range. Does anyone here work
on them? Which ones last longer. I expect to live in this house about two or
three years - and it's customary to leave appliances with house so I don't want
to invest a lot of money.

Appreciate any pointers. Thanks.

I would recommend Whirlpool as best for the money. For the best price go
to Lowe's if there is one near you. I discovered while shopping for
appliances for my new home that Lowe's is always $25 to $200 less than
any other store locally for the same or comparable model (many model
numbers are produced for specific retailers only -- so compare features
rather than model numbers).
Dorot29701

We have a Lowe's about a mile from us. I went down this morning and picked out
a new one. My husband is down there now looking it over. It seems like a good
buy to me....fits the space and matches my Whirlpool dryer.

Eric

Dorot29701 wrote:

This may not be the proper board to post this. I am pretty sure it would
be
more economical to buy new rather than try to repair my washer. I am
looking
at washers by Maytag and Whirlpool in $300-$400 range. Does anyone here
work
on them? Which ones last longer. I expect to live in this house about
two or three years -

and it's customary to leave appliances with house so
I don't want to invest a lot of money.

Since when? Are you outside the US? perhaps it may be customary there but
here in the US its definitely not the normal thing to do. Unless you are
referring to "attached" or "built-in" appliances (ie: a stove built into a
counter top). Go buy yourself a decent washer/dryer and take it with you
later on when you move.
Eric
--
There are times in history where we face unparalleled evil.
The Nazi's under Hitler is one example,

Appreciate any pointers. Thanks.

Stormin Mormon

Lets nto neglect Washington DC.

--

Christopher A. Young
This space intentionally left blank

HW feed to washing machine? a UK diy 7 January 7th 05 11:32 PM
Washing Machine Connections ChillDVDs UK diy 7 September 8th 04 10:54 PM
Zanussi sensorcycle 1050 washing machine problem Terry UK diy 7 September 1st 04 08:49 PM
Problems with Siemens Washing Machine WM53661BY Mohammed Farooq UK diy 0 November 6th 03 12:21 PM