Joe-46er

Default Slightly off-topic ---> Killing dust mites

I've heard that household dust mites can be killed en masse by cold
temps. Now that it's winter here in NJ, if I open the windows in my
bedroom all day and let the sub-freezing cold air in for a day, will
this do the job? My wife has allergies and even regular vacuuming
doesn't solve the problem completely. Thanks.

_________________________________

"Take a little 5FU, leucovorin and oxaliplatin for thy stomach's sake." -- 1 Timothy 5:23 (adapted)
Joseph Meehan

Joe-46er wrote:
I've heard that household dust mites can be killed en masse by cold
temps. Now that it's winter here in NJ, if I open the windows in my
bedroom all day and let the sub-freezing cold air in for a day, will
this do the job? My wife has allergies and even regular vacuuming
doesn't solve the problem completely. Thanks.

_________________________________

"Take a little 5FU, leucovorin and oxaliplatin for thy stomach's
sake." -- 1 Timothy 5:23 (adapted)

I don't know the exact temperatures required but I would not hold out
much hope. They are tough little bugs and after all, they will just be back
before long. The old fashion way of removing places where they may live,
lots of hot water washing and using the special spays made for the use (in
that order) is the best.

I suspect you would freeze the pipes in your home long before you even
got the bugs uncomfortable. I'll bet the eggs could outlast the next ice
age.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Suzie-Q

In article ,
Joe-46er wrote:

- I've heard that household dust mites can be killed en masse by cold
- temps. Now that it's winter here in NJ, if I open the windows in my
- bedroom all day and let the sub-freezing cold air in for a day, will
- this do the job? My wife has allergies and even regular vacuuming
- doesn't solve the problem completely. Thanks.

Get rid of the carpet. Seriously. If whatever is underneath isn't
very pretty, then lay yourself an nice, new, wood floor, or tile.
You can use area rugs, which can be washed or taken outside for
temporary freezing!
--
8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~

http://www.suzanne-eckhardt.com/
***Revelation 22:12*** ICQ: 349878998
http://www.intergnat.com/malebashing/
Richard J Kinch

Joe-46er writes:

I've heard that household dust mites can be killed en masse by cold
temps.

What makes you think you have dust mites? Don't believe the hucksters
trying to sell you "cleaning".
Joseph Meehan

Richard J Kinch wrote:
Joe-46er writes:

I've heard that household dust mites can be killed en masse by cold
temps.

What makes you think you have dust mites? Don't believe the hucksters
trying to sell you "cleaning".

If you don't have dust mites, you are one of the 13 people world wide
that don't. They are everywhere. The issue is do you have a problem
related to the dust mites. To check that you need to be tested by the
algologist. Even then you can not be sure the problems are related to the
dust mites.

You are correct there are plenty of hucksters out there and they use
scare tactics to get you to buy their product, but never suggest that you
should be tested and that most people have no problems at all from dust
mites.

My advice is if you have a problem you think may be dust mites, it is
worth the trip to the doctor to find out.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Richard J Kinch

Joseph Meehan writes:

If you don't have dust mites, you are one of the 13 people world
wide that don't. They are everywhere.

I don't believe it. What's your source for that claim, duct cleaning
advertisements?

I hunted with a microscope through fistfuls of dust bunnies from my house
looking for dust mites. All I found was ... dust.

My advice is if you have a problem you think may be dust mites, it
is worth the trip to the doctor to find out.

Right, a psychiatrist.

Just what "problem" is uniquely caused by this creature that a physician
could possible diagnose?
Joseph Meehan

Richard J Kinch wrote:
Joseph Meehan writes:

If you don't have dust mites, you are one of the 13 people world
wide that don't. They are everywhere.

I don't believe it. What's your source for that claim, duct cleaning
advertisements?

No, those duct cleaning advertisements are full of miss-information .

My information comes from my college biology courses, and allergists. I
did do some quick research for you however.

http://familydoctor.org/683.xml

http://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheets/HGIC2551.htm

http://www.cellsalive.com/mite.htm

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~aair/mites.htm#Mites
Note: the above includes a direct answer to your question "There is not
a house without them, but some houses contain huge numbers and other houses
contain almost none."

I hunted with a microscope through fistfuls of dust bunnies from my
house looking for dust mites. All I found was ... dust.

Good for you, but I'll be someone with a little more skill, better tools
and determination will find them.

My advice is if you have a problem you think may be dust mites, it
is worth the trip to the doctor to find out.

Right, a psychiatrist.

Try an allergist.

Just what "problem" is uniquely caused by this creature that a
physician could possible diagnose?

Allergic reactions to their byproducts.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Richard J Kinch

Joseph Meehan writes:

Note: the above includes a direct answer to your question "There is
not a house without them, but some houses contain huge numbers and
other houses contain almost none."

You consider the cooperative extension to be a scientific source? No,
your citations are all just repeating ungrounded factoids. Not one
surveyed and sampled actual houses. You believe without evidence.

I hunted with a microscope through fistfuls of dust bunnies from my
house looking for dust mites. All I found was ... dust.

Good for you, but I'll be someone with a little more skill, better
tools
and determination will find them.

You believe against evidence.

Just what "problem" is uniquely caused by this creature that a
physician could possible diagnose?

Allergic reactions to their byproducts.

Not unique, therefore not diagnosable.
Joseph Meehan

Richard J Kinch wrote:
Joseph Meehan writes:

Note: the above includes a direct answer to your question "There is
not a house without them, but some houses contain huge numbers and
other houses contain almost none."

You consider the cooperative extension to be a scientific source? No,
your citations are all just repeating ungrounded factoids. Not one
surveyed and sampled actual houses. You believe without evidence.

I hunted with a microscope through fistfuls of dust bunnies from my
house looking for dust mites. All I found was ... dust.

Good for you, but I'll be someone with a little more skill,
better tools
and determination will find them.

You believe against evidence.

Just what "problem" is uniquely caused by this creature that a
physician could possible diagnose?

Allergic reactions to their byproducts.

Not unique, therefore not diagnosable.

And you are believing because you did not see any mites looking at one
sample? Frankly I would not trust myself to identify them, maybe you have
more experience in the filed than I have. I would not expect to find them
in a dust bunny anyway. That is not where they have been reported. I might
add that my college biology course did cover them and I would tend to
believe what I was taught was based on scientific evidence, not someone
looking at dust bunnies.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

SJF

"Joe-46er" wrote in message
news
I've heard that household dust mites can be killed en masse by cold
temps. Now that it's winter here in NJ, if I open the windows in my
bedroom all day and let the sub-freezing cold air in for a day, will
this do the job? My wife has allergies and even regular vacuuming
doesn't solve the problem completely. Thanks.

I doubt that would be very useful. It isn't the live dust mites themselves
that cause the allergy. It's the body parts of the departed and the feces
of them, and the live ones, that become airborne. Killing the mites won't,
by itself, eliminate those products and, if you have a suitable environment
(humid climate) the house will be repopulated in time. A new house and new
furniture does a good job as does residence in a very arid area (but only
for dust mites) -- not suggested as a practical measure.

Richard J Kinch

Joseph Meehan writes:

And you are believing because you did not see any mites looking at one
sample?

I simply would like to see an original scientific survey of prevalence.

These things are not microscopic. If they were prevalent, we would hear
more actual sightings.
Richard J Kinch

writes:

Richard Kinch also believes that drinking WD-40 in large quantities is
completely safe and harmless.

Anonymous lying coward.
Joseph Meehan

Richard J Kinch wrote:
Joseph Meehan writes:

And you are believing because you did not see any mites looking at
one sample?

I simply would like to see an original scientific survey of
prevalence.

These things are not microscopic. If they were prevalent, we would
hear more actual sightings.

I have to agree with Bill on this one. Richard fits the troll profile
very nicely.

Don't pay attention to the man behind the curtain.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Richard J Kinch

Joseph Meehan writes:

Richard fits the troll profile very nicely.

If I'm a troll, then you're a billy goat, trip trap.