Default installing a water hammer arrestor

I'm looking to install a store-bought water hammer arrestor at the faucet,
without soldering. For this, I would require an adapter that goes from the
3/8 inch compression thread that is common on faucet shut-offs (where I
would tee off to attach the arrestor) to the 1/2 inch pipe thread that the
adapter has. Problem is, such an adapter does not appear to exist, or
at least, none of the stores in my area carry one.
Anybody ever install a water hammer arrestor this way? How did you do it?

Speedy Jim wrote:
Get a 3/8" Compression TEE.
Insert that in-line.
Then, get a 3/8 compression X 1/2" ips (PIPE) adapter.

Putting a tee inline (in the tube going to the faucet) won't work, as
it is the kind that is covered with a stainless steel braided sleeve.
I did find a tee that inserts between the tube and the shutoff valve
(its advertised purpose is to branch two lines off a valve that only
has a connection for one), however that then leaves me with the problem
that there appear to exist no adapters for going from this 3/8" thread
to the 1/2" pipe thread.

Speedy Jim wrote:
If you put the TEE after the valve, your braided supply line will
(should) fit the TEE.

Yes, that was my plan.

Adapter from 3/8" tube to 1/2" IPS is a common item.

That neither Home Depot nor OSH appear to have in my area (San Jose)

Speedy Jim wrote:
Does sound like true water hammer. I'm surprised the arrestor didn't
help. Seems contrary, but maybe put that one (or another) at the heater.

I replaced the arrestor with a simple air chamber, and that worked.
I'm guessing the arrestor was at the store for so long that the
piston got stuck.

need hot water FAST PV Home Repair 38 January 30th 04 01:15 AM
Thankless or Tankless hot water heaters [email protected] Home Repair 6 January 29th 04 03:01 AM