DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   installing a water hammer arrestor (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/81498-installing-water-hammer-arrestor.html)

[email protected] December 13th 04 10:06 PM

installing a water hammer arrestor

I'm looking to install a store-bought water hammer arrestor at the faucet,
without soldering. For this, I would require an adapter that goes from the
3/8 inch compression thread that is common on faucet shut-offs (where I
would tee off to attach the arrestor) to the 1/2 inch pipe thread that the
adapter has. Problem is, such an adapter does not appear to exist, or
at least, none of the stores in my area carry one.
Anybody ever install a water hammer arrestor this way? How did you do it?

Speedy Jim December 13th 04 11:23 PM

wrote:
I'm looking to install a store-bought water hammer arrestor at the faucet,
without soldering. For this, I would require an adapter that goes from the
3/8 inch compression thread that is common on faucet shut-offs (where I
would tee off to attach the arrestor) to the 1/2 inch pipe thread that the
adapter has. Problem is, such an adapter does not appear to exist, or
at least, none of the stores in my area carry one.
Anybody ever install a water hammer arrestor this way? How did you do it?

Get a 3/8" Compression TEE.
Insert that in-line.
Then, get a 3/8 compression X 1/2" ips (PIPE) adapter.

Use a short stub of 3/8" tube to go from TEE to adapter.
Those items should be available at the Big Box or at a decent hardware
store.

Jim

[email protected] December 13th 04 11:31 PM

Speedy Jim wrote:
Get a 3/8" Compression TEE.
Insert that in-line.
Then, get a 3/8 compression X 1/2" ips (PIPE) adapter.

Putting a tee inline (in the tube going to the faucet) won't work, as
it is the kind that is covered with a stainless steel braided sleeve.
I did find a tee that inserts between the tube and the shutoff valve
(its advertised purpose is to branch two lines off a valve that only
has a connection for one), however that then leaves me with the problem
that there appear to exist no adapters for going from this 3/8" thread
to the 1/2" pipe thread.

Speedy Jim December 14th 04 12:06 AM

wrote:

Speedy Jim wrote:

Get a 3/8" Compression TEE.
Insert that in-line.
Then, get a 3/8 compression X 1/2" ips (PIPE) adapter.

Putting a tee inline (in the tube going to the faucet) won't work, as
it is the kind that is covered with a stainless steel braided sleeve.
I did find a tee that inserts between the tube and the shutoff valve
(its advertised purpose is to branch two lines off a valve that only
has a connection for one), however that then leaves me with the problem
that there appear to exist no adapters for going from this 3/8" thread
to the 1/2" pipe thread.

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/compress.html
for some selections.
If you put the TEE after the valve, your braided supply line will
(should) fit the TEE.

Adapter from 3/8" tube to 1/2" IPS is a common item.

Jim

[email protected] December 14th 04 12:20 AM

Speedy Jim wrote:
If you put the TEE after the valve, your braided supply line will
(should) fit the TEE.

Yes, that was my plan.

Adapter from 3/8" tube to 1/2" IPS is a common item.

That neither Home Depot nor OSH appear to have in my area (San Jose)

PJx December 14th 04 01:48 PM

On 14 Dec 2004 00:20:15 GMT, wrote:

Speedy Jim wrote:
If you put the TEE after the valve, your braided supply line will
(should) fit the TEE.

Yes, that was my plan.

Adapter from 3/8" tube to 1/2" IPS is a common item.

That neither Home Depot nor OSH appear to have in my area (San Jose)

Drop by a plumbing supply and let them work out a solution for you.
Don't try to figure it out yourself.

PJ

[email protected] December 14th 04 06:53 PM

wrote:
Speedy Jim wrote:
If you put the TEE after the valve, your braided supply line will
(should) fit the TEE.

Yes, that was my plan.

Adapter from 3/8" tube to 1/2" IPS is a common item.

That neither Home Depot nor OSH appear to have in my area (San Jose)

I wasn't imaginative enough, it turns out. While HD and OSH don't have
a brass adapter for my purpose, they do sell 12 inch lenghts of tube with
those connectors, normally used to hook up a faucet. That, combined with
a 3/8 tee, worked just fine.
The bad news is that the addition of the water hammer arrestor didn't stop
the banging in the water heater when turning off the hot water. I'll try
again tonight with a simple air chamber, in case the piston in the
arrestor got stuck or something.

Speedy Jim December 14th 04 07:09 PM

wrote:
SNIP
The bad news is that the addition of the water hammer arrestor didn't stop
the banging in the water heater when turning off the hot water. I'll try
again tonight with a simple air chamber, in case the piston in the
arrestor got stuck or something.

1) Is this a single bang (rather than a rumble) when *any* Hot faucet
is closed?
2) City water? High pressure?
3) Gas water heater? Bang only when heater is firing, or anytime?

Any other clues...

Jim

[email protected] December 15th 04 12:43 AM

Speedy Jim wrote:
wrote:
SNIP
The bad news is that the addition of the water hammer arrestor didn't stop
the banging in the water heater when turning off the hot water. I'll try
again tonight with a simple air chamber, in case the piston in the
arrestor got stuck or something.

1) Is this a single bang (rather than a rumble) when *any* Hot faucet
is closed?

I wouldn't quite call it a rumble. It's more like a single bang and then
some "echos". Happens only with the kitchen faucet, and only when it is
closed quickly.

2) City water? High pressure?

City water, 60 PSI

3) Gas water heater? Bang only when heater is firing, or anytime?

It's a gas heater, but I haven't really paid attention to whether it only
happens when the heater is firing.

Speedy Jim December 15th 04 01:42 AM

wrote:

Speedy Jim wrote:

wrote:
SNIP

The bad news is that the addition of the water hammer arrestor didn't stop
the banging in the water heater when turning off the hot water. I'll try
again tonight with a simple air chamber, in case the piston in the
arrestor got stuck or something.

1) Is this a single bang (rather than a rumble) when *any* Hot faucet
is closed?

I wouldn't quite call it a rumble. It's more like a single bang and then
some "echos". Happens only with the kitchen faucet, and only when it is
closed quickly.

2) City water? High pressure?

City water, 60 PSI

3) Gas water heater? Bang only when heater is firing, or anytime?

It's a gas heater, but I haven't really paid attention to whether it only
happens when the heater is firing.

Does sound like true water hammer. I'm surprised the arrestor didn't
help. Seems contrary, but maybe put that one (or another) at the heater.

Jim

[email protected] December 15th 04 04:15 AM

Speedy Jim wrote:
Does sound like true water hammer. I'm surprised the arrestor didn't
help. Seems contrary, but maybe put that one (or another) at the heater.

I replaced the arrestor with a simple air chamber, and that worked.
I'm guessing the arrestor was at the store for so long that the
piston got stuck.