Martik

Default What to charge for kitchen reno?

I just completed a reno for some friends:

22 pine cabinets doors sanded down, knots replaced or repaired, sealed,
primed, 2 topcoats (60 hours)

Front and sides of all cabinets primed and 2 topcoats, some minor repair (10
hours)

16 lineal feet of laminate countertop applied to edges and top with a
ceramic tile backsplash (12 hours)

2 exterior windows installed

I want to charge about 1/2 of the retail cost as these are friends - any
guesstimates?

Charles Spitzer

"Martik" wrote in message
I just completed a reno for some friends:

22 pine cabinets doors sanded down, knots replaced or repaired, sealed,
primed, 2 topcoats (60 hours)

Front and sides of all cabinets primed and 2 topcoats, some minor repair
(10 hours)

16 lineal feet of laminate countertop applied to edges and top with a
ceramic tile backsplash (12 hours)

2 exterior windows installed

I want to charge about 1/2 of the retail cost as these are friends - any
guesstimates?

couple ways to do this: start with materials * 3, go down or up from there.

figure out how much you want to be paid per hour. figure overhead
(consumables). multiply. add in materials. go up or down from there.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Martik" wrote in message
I want to charge about 1/2 of the retail cost as these are friends - any
guesstimates?

Thee are a few ways to go about it, but the most direct is the cost of
material plus labor. Figure labor to include wages, taxes, insurance,
overhead, etc. Most trades have to charge at least $40 to $60 an hour. I
have three rates depending on what I'm doing. $0, $50, or $125.

To determine a fair hourly rate, you have to compare your skills to the
typical tradesman. Let's say a kitchen installer/carpenter can to a given
amount of work in one hour and charges $40 per hour. You are new at this
and while you do good work, you only do half the amount of work in an hour.
A fair rate would be $20. Apprentices are not charged out as much as a
journeyman.

Bubba

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 21:52:40 GMT, "Martik" wrote:

I just completed a reno for some friends:

22 pine cabinets doors sanded down, knots replaced or repaired, sealed,
primed, 2 topcoats (60 hours)

Front and sides of all cabinets primed and 2 topcoats, some minor repair (10
hours)

16 lineal feet of laminate countertop applied to edges and top with a
ceramic tile backsplash (12 hours)

2 exterior windows installed

I want to charge about 1/2 of the retail cost as these are friends - any
guesstimates?

You did that amount of work and you are asking what to charge to a
bunch of strangers on the internet?
You sir are a fool and an idiot.
You obviously have no contract with your "friends" and they obviously
have no idea what you intend to charge.
You may just find that when this is all said and done, your "friends"
may not be your friends anymore.
A case of beer and call it a day. Anything more and I think you will
find you are in for an interesting suprise.
Let us know how this one turns out.
Bubba
Rich

"Bubba" wrote in message
[...]

I'll have to agree with Bubba,
How could you have done this work without first knowing what you were going
to charge your rriends. Did your friends have any approximate idea what you
might be charging? They might want to be your friends after you give them
the bill, even if it is half of what a tradesman would have charged.

m Ransley

There is work and there is quality professional finishing. You cant be a
pro obtaining pro results if you have to ask here. It is possible I
could see the job a reject it as poor. If you are learning your value
is not based on time but results as a pro may do it 4 times faster and 4
times better. Just because you put in x hrs means nothing. Nodody can
see the finish nobody can answer to its value.

William Deans

$1250.00

ps: cabinet work hours appear on the high side for work listed (although I
don't doubt you actually spent 60 hours on it)

"Martik" wrote in message
I just completed a reno for some friends:

22 pine cabinets doors sanded down, knots replaced or repaired, sealed,
primed, 2 topcoats (60 hours)

Front and sides of all cabinets primed and 2 topcoats, some minor repair

(10
hours)

16 lineal feet of laminate countertop applied to edges and top with a
ceramic tile backsplash (12 hours)

2 exterior windows installed

I want to charge about 1/2 of the retail cost as these are friends - any
guesstimates?

Martik

$1250.00

ps: cabinet work hours appear on the high side for work listed (although I
don't doubt you actually spent 60 hours on it)

Good guess, I asked them to pay whatever they felt comfortable with. They
paid $1000 cash PLUS all the materials and special tools. The cabinet work
would take 1/2 the hours next time as I will never again trust latex to
adequately hide stained wood. They are an elderly couple without much money
so I wasn't concerned with making alot of money. I would have gladly
accepted 1/2 that amount.

With regard to the critical replies, remember this was a charitable job, I
would always provide a written estimate for a 'market rate' job.

Martik

"m Ransley" wrote in message
There is work and there is quality professional finishing. You cant be a
pro obtaining pro results if you have to ask here.

I would match my work to any pro anytime, as to duration I'm probably 1/2 as
fast.

It is possible I
could see the job a reject it as poor. If you are learning your value
is not based on time but results as a pro may do it 4 times faster and 4
times better. Just because you put in x hrs means nothing. Nodody can
see the finish nobody can answer to its value.

m Ransley

You cant match a pro, you even used the worst product known for a harsh
environment Latex on Kitchen cabinets. In a few years the oils from
hands will destroy your " pro" job. You dont even realise out of all the
products made you picked the worst . One that cannot be done without
brush marks or true durability. Latex. Go learn from a pro

Martik

You cant match a pro, you even used the worst product known for a harsh
environment Latex on Kitchen cabinets. In a few years the oils from
hands will destroy your " pro" job. You dont even realise out of all the
products made you picked the worst . One that cannot be done without
brush marks or true durability. Latex. Go learn from a pro

I have used both over the last 20 years. Oil is more durable but yellows
with time and also peels off from the oil and acid on your hand after many
years. 100% acrylic latex will not yellow and so far has not been
'destroyed' in 14 years of use. The customer chose latex based on these
facts. I suspect the 'debate' of oil vs latex will continue for many years.

Maybe the oils in your hands are proportional to the antagonistic nature of
your replies?

Bubba

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 02:24:03 GMT, "Martik" wrote:

$1250.00

ps: cabinet work hours appear on the high side for work listed (although I
don't doubt you actually spent 60 hours on it)

Good guess, I asked them to pay whatever they felt comfortable with. They
paid $1000 cash PLUS all the materials and special tools. The cabinet work
would take 1/2 the hours next time as I will never again trust latex to
adequately hide stained wood. They are an elderly couple without much money
so I wasn't concerned with making alot of money. I would have gladly
accepted 1/2 that amount.

With regard to the critical replies, remember this was a charitable job, I
would always provide a written estimate for a 'market rate' job.

You know what Mark? The more I read, the more your post is turning to
****. First you are going to charge them, then it becomes a
"Charitable" job?? Do you know the definition of Charity? Then you
say they are an elderly couple without much money. They gave you $1000
but you say you would have taken half? Why half? It would be because
$500 is all you thought your work was worth, would it? You spent 60
hrs on cabinets that would have taken you 30 or less hours if you
hadn't screwed up using latex on kitchen cabinets. A pro would have
taken less than half that time. Then they had to pay for all materials
and specialty tools?! A pro would have had all the tools.
Have you given them back the other $500 that you would have gladly
only accepted in the first place? No. I didnt think so.
Sorry pal. I dont think much of what you have done. Either its a job
or its a charity case. It doesnt work both ways. Crook, Gyipsy,
Bandit..........There is all kinds of words for what you did.
Bubba
Roger Shoaf

"Rich" wrote in message

"Bubba" wrote in message

[...]

Boy, who p***ed in your corn flakes? Martik asked a question about pricing
a job, and you and Bubba jump all over the quality of his work without ever
seeing his results.

I have seen some "amateur" jobs that have been stunning, and "pro" jobs that
patently stunk.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

m Ransley

Martic, exactly the oposite Latex absorbes oils and fails, fails to the
point it peels off with your nails around the handles like rubber. Plus
Latex will never flow out to a brushless finish, it sets up to quick.
Only 2 oil products will, and news for you, Neither yellow, but both
cost apx 40 a gallon so Im sure you have never used them, or Penetrol,
or a 50$ brush. Keep Hacking.

Shellac has traditionally been used to seal knots that weep through
paints. Zinsser Seal Coat is a dewaxed shellac that can be used under
any finish.

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 02:24:03 GMT, "Martik" wrote:

The cabinet work would take 1/2 the hours next time as I will never again trust latex to
adequately hide stained wood.

Martik

wrote in message
Shellac has traditionally been used to seal knots that weep through
paints. Zinsser Seal Coat is a dewaxed shellac that can be used under
any finish.

Thanks, that's exactly what I used.