tioga 0630

Default Windows Painted Shut--Forever?

I spent about two hours with various tools trying to pry loose the
upper sash of a relatively new double hung window in my mother's
bathroom. The window is circa 1973 and with an aluminum sash channel,
so there's no parting stop to remove and consequently no possibility
to take out the lower (or inner) sash in order to get at the outer.

All I managed to do was begin to separate the pane from the lower
horizontal wood strip of the sash, from hammering. Ultimately it
seems the dude who called himself a housepainter painted the window
shut from the outside (this window is 25' above the ground).

Is there any fixative or paint remover that comes in a spray can, or
with a tiny "straw" attached to it like you find on stuff like WD-40?
Aside from totally removing the window, can anyone think of a way to
loosen this sash?
The whole problem came to my attention when I realized how filthy the
windows were and tried to wash them.
Childfree Scott

Have you tried using a heat gun to remove the old paint?
xrongor

or some zip strip. you can remove the paint the easy way, or the hard way.
sounds like youve taken the hard way so far...

randy

"Childfree Scott" wrote in message
m...
Have you tried using a heat gun to remove the old paint?

Dan Hall

wrote in message
On 30 Nov 2004 03:53:40 -0800, (tioga 0630) wrote:

[...]

There's a special tool sold for that. It looks sort of like a pointed
putty knife with saw tooths along both edges. You saw into the paint
along the edge of the window where it meets the wood of the frame.
Go to your hardware store and get one.

When windows and frames are painted, these windows should be opened
and shut several times before the paint gets hard. But, no one ever
does this....

I have taped off around the channels and carefully sprayed silicon spry into
channel surfaces (keeping it off of the window surfaces where I want paint
to stick) before painting. Then I open and shut a few times as paint hardens
as mentioned above. -Dan

John Barry

I'm guessing as to what tools you used, and how. I'd suggest using a
"painter's 5-in-one" tool and one of the special-purpose tooth-edged
tools to cut along the parting line of the sash and what it's binding
with. This will remove some of the paint in the area and do minimal
damage.

Then try inserting the 5-in-1 between the pieces. And/or a relatively
stiff 1" putty knife. And/or one of the really thin-bladed Japanese
pry-bars. Work all around the sash, and try walking it down.

Before risking destroying it, I'd ask local expert for 2nd opinion and
help.

Works for me,
John

(tioga 0630) wrote in message . com...
I spent about two hours with various tools trying to pry loose the
upper sash of a relatively new double hung window in my mother's
bathroom. The window is circa 1973 and with an aluminum sash channel,
so there's no parting stop to remove and consequently no possibility
to take out the lower (or inner) sash in order to get at the outer.

snip

tioga 0630

All-- Thanks for the suggestions. I have one of those 5-in-1's but
not the saw-toothed thing. Heat gun too may be a possibility if used
real carefully.

Glad I posted!