John Barry

I'm guessing as to what tools you used, and how. I'd suggest using a
"painter's 5-in-one" tool and one of the special-purpose tooth-edged
tools to cut along the parting line of the sash and what it's binding
with. This will remove some of the paint in the area and do minimal
damage.

Then try inserting the 5-in-1 between the pieces. And/or a relatively
stiff 1" putty knife. And/or one of the really thin-bladed Japanese
pry-bars. Work all around the sash, and try walking it down.

Before risking destroying it, I'd ask local expert for 2nd opinion and
help.

Works for me,
John

(tioga 0630) wrote in message . com...
I spent about two hours with various tools trying to pry loose the
upper sash of a relatively new double hung window in my mother's
bathroom. The window is circa 1973 and with an aluminum sash channel,
so there's no parting stop to remove and consequently no possibility
to take out the lower (or inner) sash in order to get at the outer.

snip