Dipan Patel

Default Leaking wood windows ... Please help ...

Sorry if this is a repost ... It didn't propagate after posting to one of
Yahoo's news servers ...

I've just bought a 7 year old house in San Antonio, TX. The home has (what
I thought was) nice Lincoln wood windows. OK, I guess I do like them, but I
have a problem ... Wife and I noticed a puddle on the ground floor concrete
block (we have stained concrete floors) in the dining room. This is right
in front of full wall height windows. Water was coming from above. Above
the windows in the dining room is a large steel I-beam. Above that is the
master bedroom windows ... More full height windows. Anyway, I inspected
the outside and there appears the previous owner had the same problem
because he installed aluminum flashing on the I-beam. This doesn't seem to
be the problem, though. There is a vertical strip of wood between the
center large window and one of the narrower side windows that is apparently
warped outward at it's upper edge. It actually protrudes slightly, maybe a
quarter inch, beyond the horizontal wood strip above it. I'm guessing I
need to remove this strip and replace it, reseal it, and repaint it. Should
I get a pro to do this repair?

Another thing I'm concerned about ... The wood at the bottom of this
vertical strip is extremely crumbly. I broke it apart with my fingers and
it is extremely dry and blackish in color. Is this black mold that I should
be concerned about and is this dry rot? I'm thinking that I should spray
the leaking area with Jomax/Bleach combo to kill any potential mold.

Any help is appreciated.

I've also got a Home Warranty for one year ... I'm not sure this is covered
.... I'll have to check on it.

Dipan Patel

Taking the window out is beyond my limits. If that is what is required I'll
have to hire out. I was just hoping that replacing the wood strip with a
new one and making sure that the rotting areas are removed and sealed would
be enough. I could probably handle that. It is reassuring that this does
not sound like black mold. I thought that was mainly a foundation problem
anyways. I'll probably drench the area with Jomax/bleach before attempting
repairs just to be safe ...

On 8/29/04 7:58 AM, in article ,
" wrote:

As far as "should you get a pro". How can any of us answer that?
You know what you can do, and can not do. Can you do the repair
yourself? If you can, then do it. If not, call a pro.
Maybe you can replace the whole window yourself, and for less than it
would cost to have it repaired.

That does sound like black mold, and it does sound like its time to
take action before more stuff rots.

Can you remove the window without ripping out the whole frame and all?
Maybe you can remove it and take it to a window shop for repairs.

Mark