tioga 0630

Default How To Determine A Home's Age?

Can anyone tell me the *general* age of two homes with the following
characteristics.

1) Wavy individual "decorative" parging on each foundation block
BEFORE mortaring.

2) No knob-and-tube but only fuse box.

3) Profuse arbor vitaes, "sculptable" bushes (Northeast
Pennsylvania).

4) Push-button and lighted, back-and-forth light switches.

5) Crumbling red brick chimney on fireplace-less house.

6) Hidden bevelled glass French doors at entrance to living room.

7) Single-paned huge front window bookended by unopenable panes.

8) Intensive use of terra cotta tiles as terrace material.

1) Logs and railroad ties used as floor beams; several floor jacks.

2) Extremely low ceilings, railings, banisters; very uneven door
lintels.

3) Evidence of knob-and-tube in basement.

4) Second floor bathroom dangling over sloping kitchen roof like it
didn't
exist on the original structure.

5) Painted asbestos shingles.

6) Double-hung windows WITHOUT weights.

7) Claw-legged sink in washroom.

8) Extremely large kitchen.

Thanks for reading. If you know of a good website where you can
become a "house detective," I'd appreciate knowing.
willshak

On 11/22/2004 7:39 AM US(ET), tioga 0630 took fingers to keys, and typed
the following:

Can anyone tell me the *general* age of two homes with the following
characteristics.

1) Logs and railroad ties used as floor beams; several floor jacks.

2) Extremely low ceilings, railings, banisters; very uneven door
lintels.

3) Evidence of knob-and-tube in basement.

4) Second floor bathroom dangling over sloping kitchen roof like it
didn't
exist on the original structure.

5) Painted asbestos shingles.

6) Double-hung windows WITHOUT weights.

7) Claw-legged sink in washroom.

8) Extremely large kitchen.

Thanks for reading. If you know of a good website where you can
become a "house detective," I'd appreciate knowing.

Perhaps checking with your local building department and/or tax
department, will give you a more accurate time of original construction
and additions made.
Dr. Hardcrab

"tioga 0630" wrote

Can anyone tell me the *general* age of two homes with the following
characteristics.

SNIP

The best way to do it is to take a chain saw and cut it right across the
middle and then count the rings.....

m Ransley

It could be 1 yr or 300yr from what you say, look at the wood.

Steve@carolinabreezehvac

Your local tax department should be able to tell you in moments when the
home was built, as its normally on your tax records for the property.

om...

Speedfit technique Arthur UK diy 615 November 23rd 04 11:50 PM
US homes vulnerable to Tornados ( wooden), why not use concrete? Joseph Home Ownership 25 July 30th 04 09:18 PM
Centex Homes Lot Problem slackker Home Ownership 0 June 29th 04 09:44 PM
Habitat Homes and Property Values J SKerry Home Ownership 10 March 27th 04 05:01 AM
Manufactured Homes Feel Pinch ¿fooguy? Home Ownership 1 September 22nd 03 05:06 AM