Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Joseph

Default US homes vulnerable to Tornados ( wooden), why not use concrete?

I noticed that US citizens build their homes from wood even though
they are extremely vulnerable to Tornados, after the victims` homes
has been destroyed by tornados, people rebuild their homes from wood
again.
Isn`t that a foolish thing to do?

In my country Mauritius, (a small Indian Ocean Island) we have several
Cyclones every year during the rainy season, in around 1965 there was
a severe cyclone called Carol which destroyed a considerable quantity
of homes here. Since then people have stopped building their homes
from wood. People build them from concrete nowadays. Except the poor
people who can`t afford concrete homes, they build from metal sheets &
wood. But their homes are often damaged or destroyed when ever there
are cyclones, so they have to move to special refuge centers every
time a serious cyclone comes here.
Schools are used as refuge centers for them during severe cyclone
warnings.

So I am wondering why people continue to build homes in USA from wood
when obviously they will be destroyed in a Tornado.
It is obviously a risky thing to do as they put their lives & their
families` lives in danger doing this, especially in regions where
Tornados occurs.

I saw movies depicting Tornados in USA (Twister & another one I can`t
remember the name), as well as documentaries. Aren`t concrete homes
less likely to be destroyed by Tornados?
Let me know please why US citizens continue to build their homes from
wood.
Andrew Koenig

"Joseph" wrote in message
om...

I noticed that US citizens build their homes from wood even though
they are extremely vulnerable to Tornados, after the victims` homes
has been destroyed by tornados, people rebuild their homes from wood
again.
Isn`t that a foolish thing to do?

According to Science News, if you pick a random point in the part of the USA
that is most prone to tornadoes, you can expect that point to be hit by a
serious tornado about once every 4,000 years. That's not enough to worry
about.

On the other hand, people in the USA are constantly modifying their houses.
For example, my wife and I have more than doubled the size of our house
during the 20 years we've lived here. Such modifications are much easier for
wooden houses than concrete ones.

More details he

http://www.sciencenews.org/articles/20020511/bob9.asp

Cindy hamilton

(Joseph) wrote in message . com...
[...]

Wood is inexpensive and readily available.

Really, not that much of the United States is prone to tornados. I've
lived in the Midwest 47 years, and have never had my house damaged by
a tornado. The odds of experiencing a tornado are just not that high.

Tornados are different from cyclones. A tornado can take your neighbor's
house and miss yours completely.

Don't believe everything you see in the movies.

Cindy Hamilton

On 12 Jul 2004 02:45:54 -0700, someone wrote:

In my country Mauritius, (a small Indian Ocean Island) we have several
Cyclones every year during the rainy season...

Cyclones = our hurricanes. They do not equal tornados. Wooden home
built to US standards withstand hurricanes/cyclones very easily. A
cyclone effects your entire country. The US is vast and any one spot
will not be hit by a tornado in a centuries. It is like asking why
don't people armor their roofs since sometimes things fall off of
airplanes.

I saw movies depicting Tornados in USA (Twister & another one I can`t
remember the name), as well as documentaries.

Don't you realize movies are exaggerated fantasies, and documentaries
highlight unusual events?

Are people native English speakers in your country? Because you post
better than half the Americans here.

-v.

Tracy

(Joseph) wrote in message . com...
[...]

Tornadoes in the US cannot be compared to cyclones in Mauritius. I
believe your cyclones would be more comparable to a hurricane. In the
US, there is no home that "obviously will be destroyed in a tornado."
Tornadoes are small and sporadic, and the chances of any individual
house being destroyed by a tornado are so small that it would not be
worth the extra expense of building *all* homes from concrete. Also,
anything you "learned" about tornadoes from the movie Twister should
be immediately forgotten. ;-)
Joseph

Thank you all of you who have replied to my questions.

In Mauritius it is costly to build a house from wood in the long run
as it needs lots of maintenance.
There are other reasons that makes it costly for wooden homes. Wood is
imported, so is probably more costly in my country than in the USA,
who produces its own wood for construction. And also because there are
few people who work nowadays as carpenters, this increase the costs of
maintenance & building costs.
Those few people who still have old wooden colonial homes spend a lot
of money every year to keep the homes in good condition. Especially
the roofs which are mostly made from cut pieces of wood that are put
on top just like slates are used on roofs, but are nailed on top.

V, I am not sure whether most Mauritians can write English like me,
but I do a good amount of people do write good English from what I saw
in the Mauritius newsgroup alt.mauritius which is the one that gets
the most messages in Mauritius, probably because we can discuss almost
anything there as long as it concerns Mauritius.
And also because it is open to foreigners via Google news. But I also
know that several students failed their exams on more than one
occasion because they had bad results in English language which is
essential to get the Higher School Certificate.

The main ISP Mauritius Telecom (it is also the first) supports it in
its news servers, the other ISPs don`t offer such service as they are
mostly recently opened as previously (2-3 years ago) there was a
monopol of Telecomunications services by them.

At school my best results were in languages, ( we are taught English &
French there, as well as a few other local languages (in Secondary
schools,which are optional, Hindi, Bojpuri etc( mainly Indian
languages, as the majority of the local population are Hindus 70% )
Chinese is also taught in a few secondary schools.
Partly also because I have been going to an English speaking church
since 1982, & regularly English speaking visitors came each year. I do
realise that I often make some gramatical or typing mistakes.

John, I did not realise that Twister was an exagerated situation, &
recently I watched a documentary that showed the various occasions (
showing several years of events) where Tornados hit the USA, in some
of the regions where they there were many homes that were destroyed.
I tend to believe what I see in movies when it is what appears to be
something that is plausible.
Alien is entirely based on fiction, just like UFOs, even if some
people do believe them.

It also showed that at times several Tornados occured at the same time
in a single region just like in Twister.
So this made me think that there are such situations in the USA.

I did ask a friend who is a meteorologist about how in the Twister
movie a scientist sent some apparatus into a Tornado to analyse it. He
told me that this has never been done yet.

In the documentary a scientist had built a mini helicopter with a
camera to send into a Tornado, but it did not say whether it had
sucessfully entered in a Tornado, it did say that the rotor`s might be
damaged there.

Once I read that depending on the speed of wind the names are
different, it can be called a cyclone or a hurricane or some other
names depending on wind speed, but here what ever the spped of the
wind we still call them cyclones, we have had wind speed of over 150
kms per hour on more than 1 occasion.

I have another question to ask that does not concern Tornados.
I read in a magazine once that there is a high tax on property in at
least one State.
There was a case where someone inherited a property which contained a
forest.
He could not pay the high tax that was required so he had to cut all
the trees to be able to pay the excessive tax on the property.
Then later on he could not pay the tax again so had to sell it to pay
the tax.

Is this high tax on land applicable in only one state or in several
states?

Andrew Koenig

"Joseph" wrote in message
om...

It also showed that at times several Tornados occured at the same time
in a single region just like in Twister.
So this made me think that there are such situations in the USA.

Such situations do exist. However, the thing to remember is that unlike
cyclones, tornadoes affect an extremely small area. My parents live in a
small town that was hit by a tornado about 30 years ago. I believe that it
is the only tornado that has ever been reported in that part of the country.
The tornado destroyed one house, leaving the two houses next to it
untouched. In fact, it destroyed *half* of one house--the rest of the house
remained standing. It was quite remarkable--it was like someone had cut the
house in half with a very large knife. I saw it personally a few weeks
later.

So tornadoes are so concentrated that they can destroy a single house and
leave its neighbors alone. That is quite a different story from cyclones,
which I think are hundreds of kms in diameter. Similar storms, called
hurricanes, affect parts of the US as well, mostly the southern states near
the Atlantic ocean, and houses in that area are usually required to be built
in a way that is strong enough to withstand a hurricane.

I have another question to ask that does not concern Tornados.
I read in a magazine once that there is a high tax on property in at
least one State.
There was a case where someone inherited a property which contained a
forest.
He could not pay the high tax that was required so he had to cut all
the trees to be able to pay the excessive tax on the property.
Then later on he could not pay the tax again so had to sell it to pay
the tax.

Is this high tax on land applicable in only one state or in several
states?

It is probably not a tax on land, but rather a tax on inheritance. The USA
has very high taxes inheritance taxes, but they affect only very large
inheritances--I think the first million dollars or so are exempt. The laws
changed recently to phase out inheritance taxes over the next ten years, but
then they come back unless Congress does something about it before then.

Brigitte J.

"v" wrote in message
[...]

I'm impressed that you know the citizenship of everyone that posts here.

Brigitte

Bill Seurer

Joseph wrote:
It also showed that at times several Tornados occured at the same time
in a single region just like in Twister.
So this made me think that there are such situations in the USA.

They do indeed occur. However, they are extremely rare and if one
happens a decade that's a lot.

Remember, the US is REALLY HUGE and most of it is empty of humans by the
standards of other countries, especially where a lot of tornadoes occur.
I drove across South Dakota with a friend of mine from Germany and he
was stunned when for long stretches we saw no sign of people other than
the road and a few other cars.

Some statistics from 1950 to 1999:

Most tornado deaths in one year: 519 (1953)
Average: 82
Fewest tornado deaths in one year: 15 (1986)

To put that in perspective there are about 40,000 deaths in automobile
accidents a year in the US and about 100,000 accidental deaths by all
causes.

user

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 16:08:24 -0500, Brigitte J. wrote:

"v" wrote in message
[...]

It's usually more than obvious from the email address, alone.
I doubt you'll find many U.S. residents posting from a .uk
or a .ch address, for example.

- Rich

Tracy

"Timm Simpkins" wrote in message ...
Tornados are just testament that God hates trailer parks. It's not stick
built homes that need to worry, it's the toothpick built homes.

Riiiiiight... look through the pictures here and see how many are mobile homes.
http://storms.newsok.com/cgi-bin/sho...storm_may2003#
Brigitte J.

wrote:

"v" wrote in message
[...]

But knowing where their messages originate doesn't tell you where they're
originally from, or their native tongue.

Brigitte

user

wrote:

"v" wrote in message
[...]

No, but it's one more link in the chain of evidence that can give
you a clue about their native tongue. Just examining their use
( or lack thereof ) of idiomatic expressions, word order, conjugations,
etc, can make it relatively easy to decide if someone was
educated in Smyrna, TN, or Smyrna, Turkey.

- Rich

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 16:40:50 GMT, someone wrote:

I'm impressed that you know the citizenship of everyone that posts here.

So Brid, what are you claiming, that a significant proportion of the
people posting from US addresses and using US colloquial language, are
actually NOT "Americans" by either birth or residence?????

The overwhelming majority of the posts here are from US addresses
using US style speech, yet their "English" is often poor. So when I
go and compliment a guy who says his country is Mauritius on *his*
GOOD English, you get huffy about it???? WHY?

-v.
Kyler Laird

Bert Hyman writes:

And of course, some folks
still live in those tornado magnets, mobile homes.

We have to have *someone* to tell the news cameras that "It was like
a nuke-u-ler explosion!"

Me? I'd just like to have a basement...'cept when it floods like it
just did. For now I try to concentrate my concerns on more likely
occurrences such as being maimed/killed by a deer.

I still like the idea of having a concrete home though.

--kyler

jetgraphics

Joseph wrote:

I noticed that US citizens build their homes from wood even though
they are extremely vulnerable to Tornados, after the victims` homes
has been destroyed by tornados, people rebuild their homes from wood
again.
Isn`t that a foolish thing to do?

Yes, but...

So I am wondering why people continue to build homes in USA from wood
when obviously they will be destroyed in a Tornado.
It is obviously a risky thing to do as they put their lives & their
families` lives in danger doing this, especially in regions where
Tornados occurs.

Yes, but...

Let me know please why US citizens continue to build their homes from
wood.

Inertia of the home construction industry, coupled with inertia of the
bureaucratic building code enforcement, coupled with marketing tastes,
coupled with tax incentives, and economic expediency (wood was initially
cheaper) explains most of the practice of building with wood. One more
thing - remodeling is easier with wood frame construction.

Thomas Edison was fond of concrete so much that he designed and built forms
for pouring a concrete house. Unfortunately, they were too expensive for
the times. And the fact that it's difficult to remodel and upgrade stopped
further exploration.

WHY DOLORES CHUMSKY HATES THOMAS EDISON
http://flyingmoose.org/truthfic/edison.htm

http://www.worldwideschool.org/libra...on/chap49.html

I personally like concrete for walls, as in concrete sandwich construction
(concrete - insulation - concrete). 3-D Panel, for example:
http://www.blockmex.com/

For floors and decks, I like CEMPO:
http://www.cempo.com/

But few homes in the USA are built with these products.

Laying Concrete Flooring John UK diy 5 September 24th 03 07:15 AM
Help with concrete! Alexander Galkin Home Repair 4 August 16th 03 04:40 AM