Peter H

Default Cogitating about Cat 5 Wire

I'm going to be installing some data wire through a wall and ceiling to
install a plug-in in a room that's not currently wired for a network.
The cable will be used primarily for internet usage.

I'm wondering whether cat 5 is still the cable of choice for this. The
cable will travel between the computer nic card and a router.

tia

Peter H

Peter H

"Peter H" wrote in message

I'm going to be installing some data wire through a wall and ceiling to
install a plug-in in a room that's not currently wired for a network. The
cable will be used primarily for internet usage.

I'm wondering whether cat 5 is still the cable of choice for this. The
cable will travel between the computer nic card and a router.

tia

Peter H

Thanks for the reply Wayne. I've tried wireless, but the lag drives me
crazy. I work on that machine 2 or 3 full days a week and I work with a
remote desktop, which is slower to begin with. I don't think wireless is
a viable option for me here.

Peter H
Rich

I just checked the latentcy of my wireless network....1ms. So you must
really be observant to see wireless latentcy! I think your thinking that
wireless is going to be like using remote desk top it isn't.

Rich

"Peter H" wrote in message

I'm going to be installing some data wire through a wall and ceiling to
install a plug-in in a room that's not currently wired for a network. The
cable will be used primarily for internet usage.

I'm wondering whether cat 5 is still the cable of choice for this. The
cable will travel between the computer nic card and a router.

tia

Peter H

Thanks for the reply Wayne. I've tried wireless, but the lag drives me
crazy. I work on that machine 2 or 3 full days a week and I work with a
remote desktop, which is slower to begin with. I don't think wireless is a
viable option for me here.

Peter H

J Kelly

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 19:49:44 -0500, Peter H
wrote:

I'm going to be installing some data wire through a wall and ceiling to
install a plug-in in a room that's not currently wired for a network.
The cable will be used primarily for internet usage.

I'm wondering whether cat 5 is still the cable of choice for this. The
cable will travel between the computer nic card and a router.

tia

Peter H

Cat5e is what I would use.

Martik

"Peter H" wrote in message
I'm going to be installing some data wire through a wall and ceiling to
install a plug-in in a room that's not currently wired for a network. The
cable will be used primarily for internet usage.

I'm wondering whether cat 5 is still the cable of choice for this. The
cable will travel between the computer nic card and a router.

Works for me. You only need to connect pins 1,2,3 and 6 so any 4 wire or
more will work. Google 'cat-5 pinout'

Bob

"Peter H" wrote in message
I'm going to be installing some data wire through a wall and

ceiling to
install a plug-in in a room that's not currently wired for a

network.
The cable will be used primarily for internet usage.

I'm wondering whether cat 5 is still the cable of choice for

this. The
cable will travel between the computer nic card and a router.

There are both 5e and I believe cat 6 wire available now. If you
are buying new wire, you might consider the next step up. If you
already have cat 5 wire, it'll work fine.

Bob

wayne

I would say that cat 5E will do you fine. people tend to forget that you
internet access at it best is 3MB and usually less. Cat5E will work for
1000mb if it is done right. I use it in my office for my servers to talk to
one another Dell is having a sale on 24 port GB switch for 219.00

8 port 89.00 and up

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/prod...=04&l=en&s=bsd

Wayne

"Peter H" wrote in message

I'm going to be installing some data wire through a wall and ceiling to
install a plug-in in a room that's not currently wired for a network.
The cable will be used primarily for internet usage.

I'm wondering whether cat 5 is still the cable of choice for this. The
cable will travel between the computer nic card and a router.

tia

Peter H

Thanks for the reply Wayne. I've tried wireless, but the lag drives me
crazy. I work on that machine 2 or 3 full days a week and I work with a
remote desktop, which is slower to begin with. I don't think wireless is
a viable option for me here.

Peter H

Greg

Buy the best wire you can find. Wire is cheap, labor is the hard part.
CAT5e was the latest thing the last time I bought wire but they may have CAT6
certified by now.
Be careful making up the keystone jacks. Maintain the twist all the way to the
punch downs and keep the leads straight and short. Neatness counts. You can
make CAT5e wire degrade to doorbell wire quality with sloppy terminations.

BTW I agree about wireless. It is fine for mobile work stations but if you
really want to move data it is hard to beat copper.
Peter H

Greg wrote:

Buy the best wire you can find. Wire is cheap, labor is the hard part.
CAT5e was the latest thing the last time I bought wire but they may have CAT6
certified by now.
Be careful making up the keystone jacks. Maintain the twist all the way to the
punch downs and keep the leads straight and short. Neatness counts. You can
make CAT5e wire degrade to doorbell wire quality with sloppy terminations.

BTW I agree about wireless. It is fine for mobile work stations but if you
really want to move data it is hard to beat copper.

Thanks for this Greg. I have a wireless nic and a plug-in. The wireless
just cannot keep up... the problem is exacerbated by the office which
apparently uses wireless for part of their internet service because the
building they are in is not wired for cable yet. It's drag and then
more drag. I can type 1/2 an email message before anything shows up on
the screen.

I appreciate the suggestions about keeping the wires twisted. I've
bought cat 5e wire so I guess if I keep the install neat I'll be ok.

Peter H

MC

The problem with wireless!
Those cordless phones, Microwaves, other high EMI electronic devices around,
All of which can interfere and slow down the wireless access.
Besides, Really know exactly how to setup it all up and make sure that it is
secure from other easdroppers, hackers and wardrivers trying to break into
any unprotected wireless devices, use your internet access and/or snoop at
the data you are sending back and forth ?

I use both wired and wireless at the house. Office and all other computer
locations, even the enterntainment center has a network feed (for those MP3
files access). All wired back to a central patch panel along with phone and
CATV. The data goes to a switch/hub. I also have an extensive home office
and server for central files storage and backup. I use wireless when I want
to take my laptop outside on the patio.
I also makse sure all the security including encryption is setup on the
wireless access correclty.

I work in computer security, be suprised how many times I can access office
and home wireless internet access devices when I power up my laptop in an
office complex or neiborhood area.

"Peter H" wrote in message
Greg wrote:

[...]

Jeff Cochran

wrote:

I'm going to be installing some data wire through a wall and ceiling to
install a plug-in in a room that's not currently wired for a network.
The cable will be used primarily for internet usage.

I'm wondering whether cat 5 is still the cable of choice for this. The
cable will travel between the computer nic card and a router.

Locally, CAT6e is the cable du jour.

Jeff
Jay Chan

I am in the process of wiring a large part of my house. I would think
the minimum should be cat5e, and cat5e stuffs are widely available.
But please keep in mind that cat6 doesn't cost that much more when you
compare the material cost with your time and effort; the additional
cost of cat6 products just doesn't add up to too much. That is the
reason why I am using cat6. Moreover, I want to use better material
because I want to stream videos around the house -- not just sharing
internet.

Good luck with whatever choice that you will make.

Jay Chan

G. Morgan

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 23:14:46 GMT "Phisherman"
used 18 lines of text to write in newsgroup: alt.home.repair

But the preferred method is wireless.

What do you base that assumption on?

--
-Graham

Remove the 'snails' from my email
MC

The only time you would need CAT6 would be if you ahve some really intense
data to push over your LAN at gigabit speeds.
CAT5e will be fine for more than the average home network and would still
handle gigabit at those short distances if needed later and installed
properly.

MC
"G. Morgan" wrote in message
On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 23:14:46 GMT "Phisherman"
used 18 lines of text to write in newsgroup: alt.home.repair

But the preferred method is wireless.

What do you base that assumption on?

--
-Graham

Remove the 'snails' from my email

G. Morgan

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 20:19:24 -0500 "MC"
used 27 lines of text to write in newsgroup: alt.home.repair

The only time you would need CAT6 would be if you ahve some really intense
data to push over your LAN at gigabit speeds.
CAT5e will be fine for more than the average home network and would still
handle gigabit at those short distances if needed later and installed
properly.

Thanks, but that is not what I asked Phisherman to explain. I wanted
to know why he thinks " the preferred method is wireless".

--
-Graham

Remove the 'snails' from my email
Jeff Cochran

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 18:21:00 -0600, G. Morgan
wrote:

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 23:14:46 GMT "Phisherman"
used 18 lines of text to write in newsgroup: alt.home.repair

But the preferred method is wireless.

What do you base that assumption on?

Likely the fact that broadband wireless routers are now selling 8-1
over those without wireless capabilities.

Locally, even in homes pre-wired for ethernet, wireless is by far the
most popular choice for networking. Laptops and other portable
devices outsell desktops, and it seems everyone is going wireless for
all the other communications as well.

Jeff
Greg

Laptops and other portable
devices outsell desktops,

If you are willing to live with a 90% degradation in speed it is a good
solution for you.
Wireless is perfect for anyone who just wants to walk around surfing the net
but if you are pushing big data files you will find it lacking.

Bob

"Greg" wrote in message
Laptops and other portable
devices outsell desktops,

If you are willing to live with a 90% degradation in speed it

is a good
solution for you.
Wireless is perfect for anyone who just wants to walk around

surfing the net
but if you are pushing big data files you will find it lacking.

Don't forget the security risks.

Bob

Andy S

"Peter H" wrote in message
I'm going to be installing some data wire through a wall and ceiling to
install a plug-in in a room that's not currently wired for a network.
The cable will be used primarily for internet usage.

I'm wondering whether cat 5 is still the cable of choice for this. The
cable will travel between the computer nic card and a router.

Cat 5e is ok though walls. If you are going through the ceiling, around any
heating ducting, etc. you should use Plemun (spelling ??) Cat-5e (in fact,
I believe it is a code requirement in most areas). Plemun is fire
resistant, and is non toxic if it does catch fire.

Andy

Greg

Cat 5e is ok though walls. If you are going through the ceiling, around any
heating ducting, etc. you should use Plemun (spelling ??) Cat-5e (in fact,
I believe it is a code requirement in most areas). Plemun is fire
resistant, and is non toxic if it does catch fire.

That is if you are actually inside an air moving space, typically a raised
floor in a computer room or a suspended ceiling that is used for return air.
That is not typical in a home.
"Near" a duct is not a problem.
You are right about the toxicity. Plenum rated cable will not produce toxic
smoke. Riser rated cable will not spread flame. Plenum cable is riser rated
too.
These show up on the cable jacket as "CL * P" or "CL * R"
* being the voltage rating "2" or "3"
CL2P is a 30v rated Plenum cable
Cat 5 will usually be type 2. "3" is for higher voltages.
You can substitute plenum cables for riser and class 3 for class 2 but not the
other way around.

Greg

Why don't you go wireless?

I have had terrible results with wireless in this house. Perhaps it is just the
amount of concrete and steel in hurricane resistant construction.
I am also not happy with the speed.

Astro

I've stayed out of this discussion for a while, but it won't seem to die,
so here's my $.02.

I've used 802.11b in my house for a couple years now. My wife is totally
hooked on it.
On my machine, it's semi-reliable. I'm writing this on my laptop, from my
recliner, using 802.11g to run a remote desktop, which is working for the
moment. Sometimes the link lasts all day, sometimes it cuts out every
couple minutes. I've switched cards and access points, updated drivers,
tried just about everything. My machine still works intermittently. My
wife's machine runs pretty much flawlessly.

These problems aren't unique to me. I've studied a great number of support
boards and many people have these problems. Just as many have no problems,
so who knows. But it ain't dependable. Clearly in your situation, it isn't
either.

I've been installing 5e cable in my walls to tidy up the rat's nest from
the office. If I can get it over to where I use the computer in my living
room, I'm running it there too and I'll only use the wireless as a backup
when I need to be mobile. I'll leave it running for the wife.

I also tried wireless for the observatory, maybe 50 yards from the access
point. same deal. Tried matching brands of access point and client cards.
No luck. Still unreliable. And running a robotic telescope on an
unreliable connection is asking for trouble.

Give me copper for my daily use! Give me wireless for convenience.

On 20 Nov 2004 03:43:26 GMT, Greg wrote:

Why don't you go wireless?

I have had terrible results with wireless in this house. Perhaps it is
just the
amount of concrete and steel in hurricane resistant construction.
I am also not happy with the speed.

Greg

Since 90% of home networking is for internet use, and the remainder
still rarely has any files of decent size, wireless is quite suitabl
for the vast majority of home networks.

If that is true then you are probably right but I have an RTV that streams
video and I am shuffling MP3 files around so I will stick to my wired LAN.
Some of us do have file servers and use them.
Rein

wrote:

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 23:14:46 GMT "Phisherman"
used 18 lines of text to write in newsgroup: alt.home.repair

But the preferred method is wireless.

What do you base that assumption on?

Likely the fact that broadband wireless routers are now selling 8-1
over those without wireless capabilities.

That's because 'the crowds' are now buying them. All they want is to
sit on their couch, surf the net and watch tv at the same time. They
don't move big amounts of data around and they don't need anything
faster than what their internet connection provides. They also have no
clue about security.
For all others there is gigabit wiring. I personally would put in the
highest grade you can get. Won't hurt a thing and will only cost a
litttle more.

Locally, even in homes pre-wired for ethernet, wireless is by far the
most popular choice for networking. Laptops and other portable
devices outsell desktops, and it seems everyone is going wireless for
all the other communications as well.

Jeff

Tony Hwang

wrote:

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 23:14:46 GMT "Phisherman"
used 18 lines of text to write in newsgroup: alt.home.repair

But the preferred method is wireless.

What do you base that assumption on?

Likely the fact that broadband wireless routers are now selling 8-1
over those without wireless capabilities.

Locally, even in homes pre-wired for ethernet, wireless is by far the
most popular choice for networking. Laptops and other portable
devices outsell desktops, and it seems everyone is going wireless for
all the other communications as well.

Jeff

Hi,
Ever thought about wireless is another form of pollution?
I can do wired or wireless at home or away home but prefer wired
as much as I can.
Tony

Tony Hwang

Andy S wrote:
"Peter H" wrote in message

I'm going to be installing some data wire through a wall and ceiling to
install a plug-in in a room that's not currently wired for a network.
The cable will be used primarily for internet usage.

I'm wondering whether cat 5 is still the cable of choice for this. The
cable will travel between the computer nic card and a router.

Cat 5e is ok though walls. If you are going through the ceiling, around any
heating ducting, etc. you should use Plemun (spelling ??) Cat-5e (in fact,
I believe it is a code requirement in most areas). Plemun is fire
resistant, and is non toxic if it does catch fire.

Andy

Hi,
Per code, running wire throught duct(cold or warm) is No, no.
Tony
Beachcomber

Hi,
Per code, running wire throught duct(cold or warm) is No, no.
Tony

It's difficult to predict what the future will hold. Back in the
sixties, telephones were installed with hard wire screw terminal
blocks on 4 wire (Station D) cable. This was thought sufficient
because nobody would ever want more than two phone lines. Right?

For the present, a category 5e or category 6 installation might be
sufficient, but what about 10 - 15 years from now? The bandwidth for
all the on-demand services a normal household might need might be best
served with a fiber-optic connection.

At the very least, you should run some extra strings in your existing
cable runs to allow future cable (fiber-optics or whatever) to be
pulled and installed without tearing the walls up in the the house.

Nobody in the 50's imagined cable TV. Those of you who are old enough
to know still remember twin-300 ohm cable. Remember how you stripped
the wires to connect to your TV set (with a lighted match to melt the
insulation)

Nobody in the 60's imagined computers in the home, RJ-45 jacks, cat 5
cables, home theatre systems. The very best homes were hardwired
with 2 pair telephone wire jacks (of the 4 prong variety). Modular
connectors did not exist.

The year 2004 doesn't signify the end of technical progress. Just
make sure that you have the cable ducts to be able to handle future
changes.

Beachcomber

Tony Hwang

Beachcomber wrote:
[...]

Wireless and/or digital can take care of that.
Super borad band. Already technology is going way ahead of us
ordinary Joe. They'll even transmit power via microwave, no high tension
wires for an example.
Tony
Beachcomber

Hi,
Wireless and/or digital can take care of that.
Super borad band. Already technology is going way ahead of us
ordinary Joe. They'll even transmit power via microwave, no high tension
wires for an example.
Tony

The problem with wireless is always going to be security concerns..
Even with encryption and passwords, there is always going to be some
doubt. Just like you have a certain element of people who participate
in cell phone fraud and others who sucessfully hack into wireless
network connections at home and at work.

There are other concerns with wireless such as spectrum crowding and
terrestrial interferance with other services. There are also health
concerns and the problem is being re-visited with cellular phones.

Some very forward thinking people may not necessarily want to bathe in
a sea of microwave energy within their own home for an extended period
of time.

Wireless is great for many applications and and, just my opinion here,
a stopgap measure for home residential use, until the fine day comes
when we have 100% door-to-door two-way fiber optic connections to
every home in America, whether urban, suburban, or rural.

Japan and South Korea already have this for many of their urban areas
and Super broadband has proven to be more common and less expensive in
these areas.

If we had an FCC that cared more less about naughty words, boobs, and
dropped towels and more about technology, we might be further along
than we are at this point in time.

Also, wireless power transmission is nothing new. Tesla was doing it
back in the 19th century. In practical terms though, I think we will
see a lot more net-metered solar rooftops, that is, if the utilities
don't see fit to kill the idea before it spreads to the mainstream.

Beachcomber

Greg

People have be prematurely announcing the death of copper since the first fiber
optic was produced but you can still shove a lot more data down a wire than
most people have.
Wireless is great for applications that are truly wireless but if you are
plugging in one wire (power) why not plug in them all?
You still can't come close to beating copper for price, performance and
security to a work station. Fiber is for backbones to lots of work stations.
Just as copper performance leaps ahead, so does fiber. Wireless is still
crawling in the mud by comparison.

G. Morgan

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 17:25:24 -0500 "MC"
used 21 lines of text to write in newsgroup: alt.home.repair

One day may have only one wire to plug up, will be power and high speed
network modulated over the same power wire also !

It's called BBoPL and it's here already. The HAM radio operators are
furious about the FCC approving it's use.

--
-Graham

Remove the 'snails' from my email
berkshire bill

"G. Morgan" wrote in message
On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 17:25:24 -0500 "MC"
used 21 lines of text to write in newsgroup: alt.home.repair

One day may have only one wire to plug up, will be power and high speed
network modulated over the same power wire also !

It's called BBoPL and it's here already. The HAM radio operators are
furious about the FCC approving it's use.

--
-Graham

Remove the 'snails' from my email

Why are HAM operators concerned over wired transmissions ?

Bill

Astro

When you run high frequencies through any wires, you'll get radiation. I
suspect the frequencies used for BPL (mhz), combined with the waveforms
used, will lead to radiation at a variety of frequencies due to the
harmonics.

Google turned up the following:
http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/HTML/plc/

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 12:30:17 GMT, berkshire bill
wrote:

"G. Morgan" wrote in message
On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 17:25:24 -0500 "MC"
used 21 lines of text to write in newsgroup: alt.home.repair

One day may have only one wire to plug up, will be power and high speed
network modulated over the same power wire also !

It's called BBoPL and it's here already. The HAM radio operators are
furious about the FCC approving it's use.

--
-Graham

Remove the 'snails' from my email

Why are HAM operators concerned over wired transmissions ?

Bill

G. Morgan

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 12:30:17 GMT "berkshire bill"
used 23 lines of text to write in newsgroup: alt.home.repair

Why are HAM operators concerned over wired transmissions ?

You can read about it he
http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/HTML/plc/index.html

--
-Graham

Remove the 'snails' from my email

automotive wire size calculator CampinGazz Electronics 1 January 5th 04 07:02 PM
240 volt wiring Charles Home Repair 11 December 30th 03 11:13 PM
replacing old non-grounded (2 prong) electric receptacles David Jensen Home Repair 27 August 26th 03 12:14 AM