Astro

I've stayed out of this discussion for a while, but it won't seem to die,
so here's my $.02.

I've used 802.11b in my house for a couple years now. My wife is totally
hooked on it.
On my machine, it's semi-reliable. I'm writing this on my laptop, from my
recliner, using 802.11g to run a remote desktop, which is working for the
moment. Sometimes the link lasts all day, sometimes it cuts out every
couple minutes. I've switched cards and access points, updated drivers,
tried just about everything. My machine still works intermittently. My
wife's machine runs pretty much flawlessly.

These problems aren't unique to me. I've studied a great number of support
boards and many people have these problems. Just as many have no problems,
so who knows. But it ain't dependable. Clearly in your situation, it isn't
either.

I've been installing 5e cable in my walls to tidy up the rat's nest from
the office. If I can get it over to where I use the computer in my living
room, I'm running it there too and I'll only use the wireless as a backup
when I need to be mobile. I'll leave it running for the wife.

I also tried wireless for the observatory, maybe 50 yards from the access
point. same deal. Tried matching brands of access point and client cards.
No luck. Still unreliable. And running a robotic telescope on an
unreliable connection is asking for trouble.

Give me copper for my daily use! Give me wireless for convenience.

On 20 Nov 2004 03:43:26 GMT, Greg wrote:

Why don't you go wireless?

I have had terrible results with wireless in this house. Perhaps it is
just the
amount of concrete and steel in hurricane resistant construction.
I am also not happy with the speed.