davefr

That's easy. Disguise your NID by relocating it or burrying it in a
dry spot. Now setup a dummy NID with a very obvious phone line wire
going to it. Wire that dummy phone line to a zone on your alarm.

Burglar cuts what he thinks is a phone line and the alarm goes off.
Cheaper than radio or cellphone backup.

(An alternative is to wire the dummy phone line to 220V so the burglar
gets dead if he cuts it. Just make sure it's not a lineman for the
phone company.)

ender (Jeffrey J. Kosowsky) wrote in message ...
We are installing a centrally monitored, wired alarm system in our
house.

I noticed that the Network Interface device sits unprotected at waist
level on the outside of the house. Even more concerning, the phone
line enters and exits the box unprotected.

Other than paying for a radio link backup, what is the best way to
"harden" the phone line?

- Would it make sense to encase it in electrical conduit at least
until the wire is out of reach?

- If so, What type of conduit and fittings should one use so that it
is both sufficiently tamper-proof and weather resistant?

- Any other suggestions?

Bill Unruh

(davefr) writes:

]That's easy. Disguise your NID by relocating it or burrying it in a
]dry spot. Now setup a dummy NID with a very obvious phone line wire
]going to it. Wire that dummy phone line to a zone on your alarm.

As has been said often, in many places phone lines are above ground and run
to telephone or hydro poles. Ie, a dummy is very very easy to see-- it does
not run up the telephone pole. And the line is outside and possible to get
at. The run down the house is hideable-- eg inside the walls (although the
telco is going to be loath to do that-- the line is continuous from the
pole to inside the house usually.
And if an attacker really wants to they could use a tree trimmer with a
long pole to just cut the line, even if it is 15 ft above ground.

]Burglar cuts what he thinks is a phone line and the alarm goes off.
]Cheaper than radio or cellphone backup.

Burglar follows line from telephone pole to house and knows which it the
right line.

](An alternative is to wire the dummy phone line to 220V so the burglar
]gets dead if he cuts it. Just make sure it's not a lineman for the
]phone company.)

And you get charged with premeditatied murder.

]
] I noticed that the Network Interface device sits unprotected at waist
] level on the outside of the house. Even more concerning, the phone
] line enters and exits the box unprotected.
]
] Other than paying for a radio link backup, what is the best way to
] "harden" the phone line?
]
] - Would it make sense to encase it in electrical conduit at least
] until the wire is out of reach?
]
] - If so, What type of conduit and fittings should one use so that it
] is both sufficiently tamper-proof and weather resistant?
]
] - Any other suggestions?
John O

](An alternative is to wire the dummy phone line to 220V so the burglar
]gets dead if he cuts it. Just make sure it's not a lineman for the
]phone company.)

And you get charged with premeditatied murder.

Put a couple resistors in the circuit. Still 220 VAC, but not enough current
to do real damage. Might be a good idea to hook it up to something, say a
small lamp or garden soil heater, or whatever. There..it's not to kill the
idiot, it's to keep the seedlings comfy. :-)

-John O

Greg

If you are protecting the phone wire you would do better to run it with UF
cable so it LOOKS like a power line.
Chances are a person cutting a phone wire with power in it would only make some
sparks and trip the breaker anyway.

jackcsg

"davefr" wrote in message
om...

(An alternative is to wire the dummy phone line to 220V so the burglar
gets dead if he cuts it. Just make sure it's not a lineman for the
phone company.)

Do that, and you'll be in jail long before you have an attempted burglary.
That's the dumbest thing I have heard here yet, not very intelligent either.
Please don't have any children.

G. Morgan

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 19:36:18 GMT "John O"
used 15 lines of text to write in newsgroup: alt.home.repair

Put a couple resistors in the circuit. Still 220 VAC, but not enough current
to do real damage. Might be a good idea to hook it up to something, say a
small lamp or garden soil heater, or whatever. There..it's not to kill the
idiot, it's to keep the seedlings comfy. :-)

What are you smoking?

--
-Graham

Remove the 'snails' from my email
Hugh Jass

Crazy Canadians...

"G. Morgan" wrote in message
On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 10:46:04 -0500 "R.H.Campbell"
used 32 lines of text to write in newsgroup: alt.security.alarms

Up here in Canada, we refer to "hydro" as the electrical plant

ie: "How much was our hydro bill this month...."

.......or...........

"where does the hydro come in the house...."

And our power supplier is called Ottawa Hydro

So what do you call water, electricity?

Hydro and electricity don't mix.....

--
-Graham

Remove the 'snails' from my email

R.H.Campbell

Oh, I see...if it isn't the way you're used to, then it's "crazy" ! That
does say something....you need to widen your horizons somewhat...

RHC

"Hugh Jass" wrote in message
Crazy Canadians...

"G. Morgan" wrote in message
On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 10:46:04 -0500 "R.H.Campbell"
used 32 lines of text to write in newsgroup: alt.security.alarms

Up here in Canada, we refer to "hydro" as the electrical plant

ie: "How much was our hydro bill this month...."

.......or...........

"where does the hydro come in the house...."

And our power supplier is called Ottawa Hydro

So what do you call water, electricity?

Hydro and electricity don't mix.....

--
-Graham

Remove the 'snails' from my email

petem

yeah crazy canadian..using electricity created by hydro-eleclicity....
( thats the way they call electicity generated by water..you know..the
hoover dam is generating electricity.......)

but we should be doing like you..burn coal and use nuclear plant....

"Hugh Jass" a écrit dans le message de news:
Crazy Canadians...

"G. Morgan" wrote in message
On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 10:46:04 -0500 "R.H.Campbell"
used 32 lines of text to write in newsgroup: alt.security.alarms

Up here in Canada, we refer to "hydro" as the electrical plant

ie: "How much was our hydro bill this month...."

.......or...........

"where does the hydro come in the house...."

And our power supplier is called Ottawa Hydro

So what do you call water, electricity?

Hydro and electricity don't mix.....

--
-Graham

Remove the 'snails' from my email

G. Morgan

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 17:13:59 -0500 "mikey"
used 39 lines of text to write in newsgroup: alt.security.alarms

Hugh, wrong group. You're looking for Amanda Hugankiss.

Isn't she married to Haywood Jablowbe?

--
-Graham

Remove the 'snails' from my email
bdolph

Another alternative. How well do you know your neighbors? If you know
them well and can trust them, set up an RJ31X in their garage and run a
alarm phone line feed to your alarm control. Might need a small ditch.
If they have a panel your neighbors might want to reciprocate. I have
also done an alternate phone connection with a wireless link to a
neighbor's house but I am afraid if I say it too loud Paul will go crazy.

BobbyD

Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:

We are installing a centrally monitored, wired alarm system in our
house.

I noticed that the Network Interface device sits unprotected at waist
level on the outside of the house. Even more concerning, the phone
line enters and exits the box unprotected.

Other than paying for a radio link backup, what is the best way to
"harden" the phone line?

- Would it make sense to encase it in electrical conduit at least
until the wire is out of reach?

- If so, What type of conduit and fittings should one use so that it
is both sufficiently tamper-proof and weather resistant?

- Any other suggestions?

Hugh Jass

Sensitive touchy Canadians...

Not crazy to generate electric from water, crazy to call your electricity
"hydro" as someone else noted you do up there.

Hugh

"G. Morgan" wrote in message
On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 10:46:04 -0500 "R.H.Campbell"
used 32 lines of text to write in newsgroup: alt.security.alarms

Up here in Canada, we refer to "hydro" as the electrical plant

ie: "How much was our hydro bill this month...."

.......or...........

"where does the hydro come in the house...."

And our power supplier is called Ottawa Hydro

So what do you call water, electricity?

Hydro and electricity don't mix.....

--
-Graham

Remove the 'snails' from my email

mikey

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
Hi,
I am Canadain and I am not crazy. I think Americans are crazy. Proof?
Dubya got elected again!
BTW, all cables/wires to my house is underground. None overhead!
Tony
Canuck(not crazy)

Cheap shot. Go stomp on a Bush doll. It's about your speed.
BTW, I could probably dig up your feed with my bare hands.
Mikey
Canuck

Mark Leuck

"G. Morgan" wrote in message
On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 16:55:35 -0500 "mikey"
used 20 lines of text to write in newsgroup: alt.security.alarms

Cheap shot. Go stomp on a Bush doll. It's about your speed.
BTW, I could probably dig up your feed with my bare hands.
Mikey
Canuck

Crazy?

Don't get involved or else Mikey will start digging up your feed

G. Morgan

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 23:33:28 GMT "Mark Leuck"
used 16 lines of text to write in newsgroup: alt.security.alarms

"G. Morgan" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 16:55:35 -0500 "mikey"
used 20 lines of text to write in newsgroup: alt.security.alarms

Cheap shot. Go stomp on a Bush doll. It's about your speed.
BTW, I could probably dig up your feed with my bare hands.
Mikey
Canuck

Crazy?

Don't get involved or else Mikey will start digging up your feed

That's crazy! I think Tony is on to something here though. All
Canadians should sign their posts either:

Canuck(not crazy)
Canuck(crazy)

It would save us a lot of effort sorting them.

--
-Graham

Remove the 'snails' from my email
HaHaHa

From: G. Morgan

Canadians should sign their posts either:

Canuck(not crazy)
Canuck(crazy)

Who cares. It's not even a real country anyway.

Hugh Jass

I agree. It's just too damn hard to tell one crazy Canadian from one that's
not. You can't always count on them saying something silly like calling
electticity hydro (water for you crazies)

Hugh
(crazy european)

"G. Morgan" wrote in message
On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 23:33:28 GMT "Mark Leuck"
used 16 lines of text to write in newsgroup: alt.security.alarms

"G. Morgan" wrote in message
. ..
On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 16:55:35 -0500 "mikey"
used 20 lines of text to write in newsgroup: alt.security.alarms

Cheap shot. Go stomp on a Bush doll. It's about your speed.
BTW, I could probably dig up your feed with my bare hands.
Mikey
Canuck

Crazy?

Don't get involved or else Mikey will start digging up your feed

That's crazy! I think Tony is on to something here though. All
Canadians should sign their posts either:

Canuck(not crazy)
Canuck(crazy)

It would save us a lot of effort sorting them.

--
-Graham

Remove the 'snails' from my email

R.H.Campbell

Grrrrrrrr.......))

R.H.Campbell
Home Security Metal Products
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
www.homemetal.com

"G. Morgan" wrote in message
On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 23:33:28 GMT "Mark Leuck"
used 16 lines of text to write in newsgroup: alt.security.alarms

"G. Morgan" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 16:55:35 -0500 "mikey"
used 20 lines of text to write in newsgroup: alt.security.alarms

Cheap shot. Go stomp on a Bush doll. It's about your speed.
BTW, I could probably dig up your feed with my bare hands.
Mikey
Canuck

Crazy?

Don't get involved or else Mikey will start digging up your feed

That's crazy! I think Tony is on to something here though. All
Canadians should sign their posts either:

Canuck(not crazy)
Canuck(crazy)

It would save us a lot of effort sorting them.

--
-Graham

Remove the 'snails' from my email

Bill Unruh

]
] That's crazy! I think Tony is on to something here though. All
] Canadians should sign their posts either:
]
] Canuck(not crazy)
] Canuck(crazy)

Not crazy. Loonie.
(For those not in the know, that is what a dollar is called in Canada.)

mikey

"G. Morgan" wrote in message
On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 16:55:35 -0500 "mikey"
used 20 lines of text to write in newsgroup: alt.security.alarms

Cheap shot. Go stomp on a Bush doll. It's about your speed.
BTW, I could probably dig up your feed with my bare hands.
Mikey
Canuck

Crazy?

Who? Me? I want to crawl around your foundation on my hands and knees
digging up your lawn looking for wires and you think I'm crazy?
We're all crazy up here. Our gov't is going to ban trans fats in food.
ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahaha
There coming to take us away hah hah hoo hoo hee hee to the funny farm
where life is easy all the time and... damn I forget the rest, had a good
beat too. I loved marching to it.

I can hardly wait for my new straightjacket with my logo on it. How do you
do those damn things up anyways? I can get out of them easily enough but man
what a struggle to get in to one.