Default Need Some Advice on phone line Problems

I don't know if this is the right group to be asking this question in,
but perhaps someone can help me out.

I have a rats nest of phone wires converging on something called a
"66B4-B Jumper Block" down in my basement. I have phone jacks with
4-wire line at various locations in the basement, and I can only get
one line to work although we have 2 lines in the house. I bought a
little LED tester that plugs into the phone jack, and it checks for
crossed wires, whether there's 2 lines present, and other things. I
suspect that something is screwed up at the jumper block because it's
just too easy to snag a wire there out in the open and pull it loose.

Rather than calling in the phone company, or spending $100 on
something called a tone generator, is there any cheaper way to find
out what's wrong with this line?

And if a tone generator kit is the only answer, can anyone tell me
where I can get the bare minimum unit new or used? Or if someone
knows of a web site that ttoally explains how to wire a Jumper block,
I do have the line in question ID'd, I just don't know why it's not
working as a 2-line system.

Thanks in advance for any/all help.

Mike

Maury... You got mail. Guy, that's a distinct possibility, but is it
worth it when 5 phone jacks are working fine and one isn't?

I was in HD this afternoon and came across an RCA Telephone Interface
Box, it's about 7" long, 3" wide and 1" deep. Opened it and it's
basically a screw-terminal junction box for phone lines. It looked
kinda'cheesy, so I was reluctant to get one.

The other thing that bothers me is there are some striped wires in
that rats nest too, though none are directly connected to the 66B4-B I
mentioned earlier. They are connected like splitters with squeeze
crimp type phone company clamps, and then theres also a couple of
those disc-style clear connectors.

I need to get a digital picture so maybe someone can ID what is going
on. (maybe)

Mike