Mark

Default attaching a grab bar to marble or tile

I need to attach a grab bar in my shower. The wall material is
cultered (man made) marble. As I was preparing to do the installation
my wife informed me that she didn't want holes drilled in the marble.
Is there a way to attach grab bars securely to this material without
drilling holes in it?

Thanks
Edwin Pawlowski

"Mark" wrote in message
m...
I need to attach a grab bar in my shower. The wall material is
cultered (man made) marble. As I was preparing to do the installation
my wife informed me that she didn't want holes drilled in the marble.
Is there a way to attach grab bars securely to this material without
drilling holes in it?

Thanks

NO!

You must not only drill through the marble, you must anchor into a wall stud
to be secure. Anything less is dangerous. More dangerous than having
nothing. If you have no grab bar, you will be very careful. If you rely on
a bar that is not secure and it fails, you will most likely be in more
danger and actually be injured as you fall.

Your wife must decide if the marble is more important than breaking bones or
bashing your head on the side of the tub.

willshak

Mark wrote:

I need to attach a grab bar in my shower. The wall material is
cultered (man made) marble. As I was preparing to do the installation
my wife informed me that she didn't want holes drilled in the marble.
Is there a way to attach grab bars securely to this material without
drilling holes in it?

Thanks

Wait until she leaves the house for a while, then drill the holes
through the marble into the studs, bolt the grab bar into the wall, and
then put a lot of silicon around the bar mount so you can say you glued
it on.
m Ransley

As Ed said No , your problem will be finding a stud or it and the tile
may rip out on the first big pull. My old house is a concrete basecoat
over frame then tile, so I did not need a stud. It depends on your
construction. If it is wood I dont know how you will find a stud and be
accurate. Some modern techniques are truely cheap and can separate from
the studs. Forget Glue as she wants.

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"Mark" wrote in message
m...
I need to attach a grab bar in my shower. The wall material is
cultered (man made) marble. As I was preparing to do the installation
my wife informed me that she didn't want holes drilled in the marble.
Is there a way to attach grab bars securely to this material without
drilling holes in it?

Thanks

NO!

You must not only drill through the marble, you must anchor into a wall stud
to be secure. Anything less is dangerous. More dangerous than having
nothing. If you have no grab bar, you will be very careful. If you rely on
a bar that is not secure and it fails, you will most likely be in more
danger and actually be injured as you fall.

Your wife must decide if the marble is more important than breaking bones or
bashing your head on the side of the tub.

Well, that's not strictly true.. You COULD, assuming the marble is securely
mounted, weld the grab-bar to two 18" diameter mounting flanges, and
Epoxy those to the wall. It would be ugly as sin, and you'll never get the
thing off again, though. Another option would be to mount to the
ceiling, but there's no way to do that unobtrusively. Is this a permanent
installation? or a modification for a guest or injured person?

--Goedjn