Miki Kanazawa

Default What's the diff between marble tile and marble w/ resin tile?

Hey guys, was looking at the various tiles to figure out which one I
wanted as a bathroom floor. (I understand granite is the way to go
for durability, but humor me for a moment.)

Contractor's Warehouse has marble tile. It's thick; maybe 5/8-inch.
Lowe's has a marble tile similar in appearance. It's thinner at
1/2-inch, but it's about a third the price and is listed as marble
chunks held together with resin.

Is the resin treatment sheerly a cost savings measure or is the resin
there to help make the tile resistant to etching and/or soaking?
dadiOH

Miki Kanazawa wrote:
Hey guys, was looking at the various tiles to figure out which one I
wanted as a bathroom floor. (I understand granite is the way to go
for durability, but humor me for a moment.)

Contractor's Warehouse has marble tile. It's thick; maybe 5/8-inch.
Lowe's has a marble tile similar in appearance. It's thinner at
1/2-inch, but it's about a third the price and is listed as marble
chunks held together with resin.

Is the resin treatment sheerly a cost savings measure or is the
resin there to help make the tile resistant to etching and/or
soaking?

The resin is there to hold together the little pieces of marble...take
scraps of marble, mix with resin, cast into squares, voila! "marble" tile.

--
dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.0...