maxinemovies

Default Who to install laminate flooring?

Our manufactured home will be built soon and we've decided not to get
carpet in it at all. Instead, I've been shopping around on the web
(thanks to you guys for info and some great links) for laminate
flooring.

When we decide which to get and have it shipped, neither of us will be
able to install it. Physical limitations and stuff. So who should we
get ? Our contractor has said he doesn't do that. Does it have to be
someone special or can we hire the local handyman? (That assumes that
he's done it before and has references.)

Thanks again,

Maxi

Email addy upon request.
m Ransley

You want more than a handyman, contact flooring instalers, tile, wood,
laminate, etc , .

Joseph Meehan

maxinemovies wrote:
Our manufactured home will be built soon and we've decided not to get
carpet in it at all. Instead, I've been shopping around on the web
(thanks to you guys for info and some great links) for laminate
flooring.

When we decide which to get and have it shipped, neither of us will be
able to install it. Physical limitations and stuff. So who should we
get ? Our contractor has said he doesn't do that. Does it have to be
someone special or can we hire the local handyman? (That assumes that
he's done it before and has references.)

Thanks again,

Maxi

Email addy upon request.

I would look to a floor professional and I would not order the materials
myself. Let the professional provide the work and the materials. If you
order your own materials and anything goes wrong, I can assure you that it
will always be the fault of the other guy.

Don't assume that you will save money ordering it yourself. The
professional has access to materials at prices you don't and they price the
job in total. If they don't make the profit on the materials, it will be
added to the labor. They have to make a living one way or another.

The floor professional will have the experience and tools to do the job
well and in less time than anyone else.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Chet Hayes

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message .. .
maxinemovies wrote:
[...]

Sounds like good advice to me. In most areas, there are plenty of
local flooring stores. Also, HD, Loews, etc all supply and install
it. I would check with people you know, see who they used, get some
quotes and do it all from one source.

Depending on the size of the area and your budget, I would also
consider the real wood engineered materials, as they add more value to
the home and you will have real wood floors.
maxinemovies

maxinemovies wrote:
[...]

But Lowes and HD run over $3 sq ft, not including installation. The
online places run less than $1 sq ft. I sent away for samples and it
looks good at 8mm and 8.2mm. One of the places is within reasonable
driving distance and allows pickup so we'd save on shipping, too.

I haven't checked with local flooring places yet. That will be my
next stop.

Our budget is really tight and we need to do the whole house, not
including kitchen, bathrooms, utility room. The house is total around
1700 sq ft. We'd like to have quality product and proper installation
but really need to watch every penny so I'm trying to find out if
there's some way we can do all that. Thanks for all your help so far.
Any more advice is appreciated.

Maxi

Email addy upon request.
Chet Hayes

maxinemovies email on wrote in message . ..
On 29 Oct 2004 16:17:59 -0700,
(Chet Hayes)

maxinemovies wrote:
[...]

I doubt you're comparing equivalent products. I seriously doubt you
can get a good laminate product for under $1/ft. Samples looking good
and having a finished application that looks close to real wood and
lasts are two different things. Unless you can subject those samples
to years of foot traffic in typical conditions, you have now way of
knowing how durable they are. It costs more to manufacture a product
with a durable finish, tight tolerances so it fits well without joints
being visible, holds up to changing humidity/temp, etc. Which is why
products like Pergo have a 20 or so year warranty.
I'd ask flooring stores and the installer you plan to use what they
know about the product you're looking at.

Our budget is really tight and we need to do the whole house, not
including kitchen, bathrooms, utility room. The house is total around
1700 sq ft. We'd like to have quality product and proper installation
but really need to watch every penny so I'm trying to find out if
there's some way we can do all that. Thanks for all your help so far.
Any more advice is appreciated.

Maxi

Email addy upon request.

RE Quick Transit

"Chet Hayes" wrote in message

But Lowes and HD run over $3 sq ft, not including installation. The
online places run less than $1 sq ft.

I doubt you're comparing equivalent products. I seriously doubt you
can get a good laminate product for under $1/ft. Samples looking good
and having a finished application that looks close to real wood and
lasts are two different things.

Our budget is really tight and we need to do the whole house, not
including kitchen, bathrooms, utility room. The house is total around
1700 sq ft. We'd like to have quality product and proper installation
but really need to watch every penny so I'm trying to find out if
there's some way we can do all that.

OK, you want quality and want to pay $1 a foot. You won't get both. If you
look at the better laminates and engineered wood, you get better appearance,
stronger material, more patterns in a box so it looks more natural. The
buck stuff may be OK in a spare bedroom, but it certainly will not be very
impressive in the living room.

Remember when panelling became popular back in the '60s and everyone wanted
it? You could buy some really nice wood panels, but soon, the phot printed
vinyl stuff came to market at low prices. Maybe from 1,000 yards it looked
OK, but close up it looked like you covered the wall with sheets of printed
plastic.

Your house, your money, your taste so suite yourself. People did buy the
Yugo also.