MilkyWhy

Default Love that old Quarter Inch Plywood

Stopped by a building being demolished and went inside. Had a hundred panels of
old, quarter-inch plywood (almost always painted pale green on one side). I
offered the guy a dollar a panel for each one he salvaged and removing nails. I
loaded up my storage building with these 4 by 8 foot boards.

I just LOVE this good old thin plywood. It's a joy to work with, stronger than
flakeboard crap of today, so light and easy to move into place. They just made
the stuff BETTER, 50 years ago, than the crap of today.
Red Neckerson

"MilkyWhy" wrote in message
Stopped by a building being demolished and went inside. Had a hundred
panels of
old, quarter-inch plywood (almost always painted pale green on one side).
offered the guy a dollar a panel for each one he salvaged and removing
nails. I
loaded up my storage building with these 4 by 8 foot boards.

I just LOVE this good old thin plywood. It's a joy to work with, stronger
than
flakeboard crap of today, so light and easy to move into place. They just
made
the stuff BETTER, 50 years ago, than the crap of today.

Gee, grandpa! Can you tell us the one about how you used to walk 5 miles to
school with burlap bags on your feet????

Philip Lewis

"Red Neckerson" writes:
Gee, grandpa! Can you tell us the one about how you used to walk 5 miles to
school with burlap bags on your feet????

burlap!?! we had to weave our shead eylashes in to bags if we wanted
something to put on our feet.... and that's for the few of us that had
hair!

I too find that wood in general is of much poorer quality these
days. (and i'm only 33) I look at plywood and dimensional lumber and
plywood from the 70s-80s and only see that in the "premium" stacks
these days.

If you look hard, you can find good wood in the stacks, but i'd
estimate that it's only 1 in 10 pieces in my personal experience.
(of course, i'm looking for the closest i can get to quarter-sawn
as i can get... usually getting a just "off" center cut.)

--
be safe.
flip

Ed Clarke

In article e05gd.6857$8R.572@trnddc02, Red Neckerson wrote:
"MilkyWhy" wrote in message

flakeboard crap of today, so light and easy to move into place. They just
made the stuff BETTER, 50 years ago, than the crap of today.

Gee, grandpa! Can you tell us the one about how you used to walk 5 miles to
school with burlap bags on your feet????

Boy, it was five miles UPHILL to get to school and five miles UPHILL to get
back. In two feet of snow. With wolves chasing us. We were tough in those
days not like the candy-ass kids today.

However - old growth wood is a lot stronger than second or third growth timber.
It's a matter of cost; the old stuff is used up (mostly) and the new stuff is
not as hard or strong. Flakeboard is chips of real wood in a matrix of glue.
Heavy and reasonably strong, it makes use of what used to be thrown away.

Abe

Boy, it was five miles UPHILL to get to school and five miles UPHILL to get
back. In two feet of snow. With wolves chasing us. We were tough in those
days not like the candy-ass kids today.

--------------------
You guys had feet! Boy, in our day we didn't have any fancy feet. We
had to roll to school in the mud.
Charles Spitzer

"Abe" wrote in message
Boy, it was five miles UPHILL to get to school and five miles UPHILL to
get
back. In two feet of snow. With wolves chasing us. We were tough in
those
days not like the candy-ass kids today.

--------------------
You guys had feet! Boy, in our day we didn't have any fancy feet. We
had to roll to school in the mud.

at least you had arms to push yourself along with

Warren Weber

"MilkyWhy" wrote in message
Stopped by a building being demolished and went inside. Had a hundred

panels of
old, quarter-inch plywood (almost always painted pale green on one side).

offered the guy a dollar a panel for each one he salvaged and removing

nails. I
loaded up my storage building with these 4 by 8 foot boards.

I just LOVE this good old thin plywood. It's a joy to work with, stronger

than
flakeboard crap of today, so light and easy to move into place. They just

made
the stuff BETTER, 50 years ago, than the crap of today.

And it is a True 1/4 inch? This new plywood size stinks when you are trying
to match repairs on old stuff. W W

Zemedelec

Amen.
zemedelec
Box134

Of course, there were two channels in those days, if your TV was anything
like mine! I'd hate to get up to surf through 75 channels.

"Art" wrote in message
link.net...
When I was a kid, we had to get up and walk over to the TV to change the
channel.

ameijers

"MilkyWhy" wrote in message

flakeboard crap of today, so light and easy to move into place. They

just
made the stuff BETTER, 50 years ago, than the crap of today.

(snip)

However - old growth wood is a lot stronger than second or third growth

timber.
It's a matter of cost; the old stuff is used up (mostly) and the new stuff

is
not as hard or strong. Flakeboard is chips of real wood in a matrix of

glue.
Heavy and reasonably strong, it makes use of what used to be thrown away.

What he said. The cheap (aka nearby) supplies of good wood are mostly used
up, other than in the preserve areas, where they should STAY unmolested so
our great-great grandkids can see what real trees look like. Used to use
what would now be furniture-grade 1/4 inch ply for soffits, and clear-grain
or even redwood for fascia board. I could cry thinking of all the scraps I
threw on the burn pile as a kid. Who knew? Nowadays, a 2-3 foot stick of
clear grain anything, you stick it in the save box for a rainy day.

(yeah, we used to burn on-site back then, even in town. different world.)

aem sends...

Stormin Mormon

And did you have to pump the handle at the sink to get water? And look for
splinters when you sat in the outhouse?

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Box134" wrote in message
Of course, there were two channels in those days, if your TV was anything
like mine! I'd hate to get up to surf through 75 channels.

link.net...